Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medium Format

• 28-11-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hey, i'm after picking up a Mamiya 645 secondhand and just wanna see where people shooting Medium Format get their film.... and then is there anywhere in Dublin still doing processing and scanning?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

TTWNF wrote: »
    Hey, i'm after picking up a Mamiya 645 secondhand and just wanna see where people shooting Medium Format get their film.... and then is there anywhere in Dublin still doing processing and scanning?

thanks

Thephotoshop.ie is a great resource. Gunn's still sell 120 film at reasonable prices. Gunn's also process both colour and black and white.

But I'd highly recommend investing in home development. Film is not an economical pursuit if you're relying on labs. And developing at home is actually dead easy (no dark room required).

I can post back later today with details of equipment needed for black and white development if you like. You can pick up the whole lot for about €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Almost anywhere I can. thephotoshop.ie if I'm stocking up, otherwise cheap crap on ebay, shortdated stuff in camera shops around town etc etc

Most of the camera shops will still do 120, unless it's slide then only photocare on abbey street. Well worth your while learning how to process your own though, reasonably cheap flatbeds do an ok job of scanning 120 so it's not as expensive to get a scanner as it is to do 35mm. On the flipside if you want to wet print enlargers are (predictably) bulkier and more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Thephotoshop.ie is a great resource. Gunn's still sell 120 film at reasonable prices. Gunn's also process both colour and black and white.

But I'd highly recommend investing in home development. Film is not an economical pursuit if you're relying on labs. And developing at home is actually dead easy (no dark room required).

I can post back later today with details of equipment needed for black and white development if you like. You can pick up the whole lot for about €100.

wow thats really cool....i assumed that i'd need a darkroom to process! .... yes if you could post the details of what i need for home developing that would be great, much appreciated

Almost anywhere I can. thephotoshop.ie if I'm stocking up, otherwise cheap crap on ebay, shortdated stuff in camera shops around town etc etc

Most of the camera shops will still do 120, unless it's slide then only photocare on abbey street. Well worth your while learning how to process your own though, reasonably cheap flatbeds do an ok job of scanning 120 so it's not as expensive to get a scanner as it is to do 35mm. On the flipside if you want to wet print enlargers are (predictably) bulkier and more expensive.

thanks Daire

Haven't forgotten about the above promise, but very busy. Will reply when I have time.

• Advertisement

Haven't forgotten about the above promise, but very busy. Will reply when I have time.

hey just hoping you get time as i've loved shooting with medium format but the developing and scanning is quite expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

TTWNF wrote: »
    hey just hoping you get time as i've loved shooting with medium format but the developing and scanning is quite expensive

you're waiting on info? Type in 'developing your own film' or something similar into google and there are literally millions of results. You can get all the gear from www.thephotoshop.ie, which apart from being local, is run by a friendly and helpful boardsie, who also runs development workshops from http://www.monochromemeath.com/

Err, yeah, so I completely forgot about this. And I still don't have much time, but I'll keep it brief.

Below is the most basic set-up and process for B&W development. Pretty much all of these are available from thephotoshop, and many can also be found second hand on adverts.ie:

Equipment
    • 1 x Thermometer
    • 1 x Changing bag (basically a substitute for a darkroom - a light-sealed bag with two armholes in it in which you unroll the film and place it in the tank)
    • 1 x Developing tank (get the larger one with capacity for two rolls of 120 film)
    • 1 x Household basin
    • 1 x 1L measuring jug
    • 1 x 100cc measuring cup
    • 4 x Film clips (for hanging film to dry)
    • 1 x Rubber Gloves
    • 3 x 1L chemical storage bottles

Chemicals

This is down to personal preference, but the easiest combination for the beginner is probably:
    • R09 developer (aka Rodinal) - this develops the image
    • Ilfostop - this neutralises the developer
    • Ilford Rapid Fixer - this 'fixes' the developed image, and prevents the film from reacting to light once it is taken out of the tank

Some people also use a chemical called Photoflo during the final rinsing process to prevent watermarks forming on the film as it's drying. That's up to you.

Smartphone app

Massive Dev Chart - contains development times for almost every combination of film and chemicals. Also has a handy timer in the paid version.

Pre-development process - For 1L tank, ie two rolls of medium format film
    • Mix 38ml of rodinal with 962ml water
    • Mix 50ml Ilfostop with 950ml water
    • Mix 100ml of Ilford Rapid Fixer with 900ml water

Place mixed chemical bottles in basin of water at 20°C. This is where the thermometer comes in handy. You need your chemicals to be at 20°C for most standard development processes.

Disclaimer: Wear gloves and be careful during the mixing process (and during the later development process). Some of these chemicals can have nasty effects if they come into contact with skin, or if ingested. Always store your photo equipment (chemicals, measuring jugs, etc) well away from children and pets and away from anything used to prepare food.

Then:
    • Place exposed film and tank inside changing bag.
    • Place exposed film on reel and seal the tank. NB Because you cannot see what you are doing here, and because the reels can be fiddly, you will need to practice this in daylight, with an unexposed roll of film. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWKFgodDzA
    • Take tank out of changing bag.

Then you're ready to start developing.

Development process

The basic process is:
    • Add developer to tank for x minutes, usually agitating the mixture gently for about ten seconds per minute
    • Pour out developer. Pour in Ilfostop. Agitate for one minute.
    • Pour out Ilfostop and add Fixer for x minutes.
    • Pour out fixer and rinse for 10-15 minutes in cold water
    • Hang film to dry in a non-dusty environment for about 2-4 hours.

The exact times and agitation patterns differs depending on the film, the chemicals, and depending on the results you're looking for.

Massive Dev app will help you with the times and will even tell you when and exactly how long to agitate the tank.

I'd strongly advise watching a youtube video or two on film development before starting. It's really something you need to see in action before doing it yourself.

I've typed this in a hurry so hopefully haven't missed anything important/life-threatening. I'm sure somebody will point it out if I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

You can get all the gear from www.thephotoshop.ie, which apart from being local, is run by a friendly and helpful boardsie, who also runs development workshops from http://www.monochromemeath.com/

Highly recommend Peter's workshops, whilst I haven't done the film one I've done the portrait one and he knows his stuff. It'd definitely be worth your while getting in touch with him.
    BEGINNERS DARKROOM WORKSHOP
    This workshop is designed for the beginner and teaches the basics of film development and darkroom printing using various dodging and burning-in techniques. No previous Darkroom experience is required and this workshop would also benefit someone who has not been in the Darkroom for a long period but who wishes to get a revision course.

I forgot to mention scanning in my post above. This is where you're likely to incur some expense. Most entry-level flatbed scanners are in the 150-400EUR range.

The Canoscan 9000f is the one I'm using and is decent quality. There's a MKI and a MKII, but there is almost no difference between the two (the second model has updated software). The MKI can now be found for about 150.

An untouched sample scan from the 9000f is attached. Very contrasty but that's mostly the result of the sunny weather and the film I was using (Neopan, I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Just getting a chance to post on this thread now. Good advice form everyone so far. Due to recent enquiries for film developing kits, I have put together one for 35mm and one for 120 film, so it should make it easier for those starting out with their developing: http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=62

Peter

Advertisement