Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emobile Fraud and Identity Theft

Options
  • 28-11-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Seems issues with emobile, data protection and fraud are an ongoing thing.
    I am currently having a serious issue with an emobile account in my name - fraud and identity theft - that was opened by some fraudsters a few months ago.
    Emobile keep telling me everything is under control, that the fraud was detected early on, the bills cancelled and that account closed, yet they keep sending me bills for that account, so it is clearly not closed and the whole thing is far from resolved. The case was also reported to the Garda months ago.

Obviously, emobile have just been taking the piss and lying to me for months now and this needs to end.
    Overall emobile’s reaction to all this has so far been a pathetic display of incompetence and arrogance coupled with a shockingly blasé attitude.

I am just wondering what’s going on, whether this could be some major fraud by emobile themselves, some sort of inside job or something. Or is it just messy internal communication at emobile? Has anybody else had similar issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Steinle wrote: »
    I am currently having a serious issue with an emobile account in my name - fraud and identity theft - that was opened by some fraudsters a few months ago.
    Emobile keep telling me everything is under control, that the fraud was detected early on, the bills cancelled and that account closed, yet they keep sending me bills for that account, so it is clearly not closed and the whole thing is far from resolved. The case was also reported to the Garda months ago.

Obviously, emobile have just been taking the piss and lying to me for months now and this needs to end.
    Overall emobile’s reaction to all this has so far been a pathetic display of incompetence and arrogance coupled with a shockingly blasé attitude.

I am just wondering what’s going on, whether this could be some major fraud by emobile themselves, some sort of inside job or something. Or is it just messy internal communication at emobile? Has anybody else had similar issues?

Interesting you mention this as I had a somewhat similar episode of unwarranted use on my account a number of months back.

They did absolutely nothing to allay my fears of this, nothing to proactively deter this activity or make any attempt to suggest any reason whatsoever as to why this was happening. I pretty much got a "computer says no" response and "that's just the way it is".

I attempted to speak with someone who might have had some kind of technical savvy on their IT team but they knew nothing either and were keen to fob me off.

All the while my account was being run up to quite high amounts of money due to their incompetence to protect their customers.

So I duly had to do something about it myself. I changed my number and stopped my DD because I felt the fault lay with emobile to sort this issue out.

And of course as soon as they realised I wasn't going to just freely let emobile syphon out large amounts of money from my account, due to this anomaly, they decide to hit me with a bill for breaking my contract.

I felt my hands were tied under the circumstances and had to do something about this issue myself, as I was getting nothing back from emobile whatsoever. All they were interested in was the extra money they were to receive from me - nobody actually wanted to resolve the original issue.

As someone who was a loyal customer with emobile and always had the same modest monthly bill, paid on time, you'd think this unusual activity was somewhat out of the ordinary for me as a customer.

Also I'm having some difficulty trying to find someone to communicate with on here. I've sent a pm about my concerns but received nothing back. I'm wondering also what was the extent of your issues as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Steinle

Interesting you mention this as I had a somewhat similar episode of unwarranted use on my account a number of months back.

They did absolutely nothing to allay my fears of this, nothing to proactively deter this activity or make any attempt to suggest any reason whatsoever as to why this was happening. I pretty much got a "computer says no" response and "that's just the way it is".

I attempted to speak with someone who might have had some kind of technical savvy on their IT team but they knew nothing either and were keen to fob me off.

All the while my account was being run up to quite high amounts of money due to their incompetence to protect their customers.

So I duly had to do something about it myself. I changed my number and stopped my DD because I felt the fault lay with emobile to sort this issue out.

And of course as soon as they realised I wasn't going to just freely let emobile syphon out large amounts of money from my account, due to this anomaly, they decide to hit me with a bill for  breaking my contract.

I felt my hands were tied under the circumstances and had to do something about this issue myself, as I was getting nothing back from emobile whatsoever. All they were interested in was the extra money they were to receive from me - nobody actually wanted to resolve the original issue.

As someone who was a loyal customer with emobile and always had the same modest monthly bill, paid on time, you'd think this unusual activity was somewhat out of the ordinary for me as a customer.

Also I'm having some difficulty trying to find someone to communicate with on here. I've sent a pm about my concerns but received nothing back. I'm wondering also what was the extent of your issues as well?

interesting. the one big difference with my case seems to be that i have never even had an account with emobile but they just let some criminals open one using my identity, however that was even possible...there has been no financial damage to me so far as there is no direct debit...seems the fraudsters at least did not have my bank details, that would have been even worse and really scary...easy enough to come across my name and address somehow, and i guess (and hope) it was just random...though i sort of suspected a data leak at emobile at first, which they of course denied...who knows...

now emobile just keep sending me bills (over 2.5k eur by now) for that account which is not mine and are now threatening legal action if i do not pay. my main issue here (so far) is identity theft, and of course i am not keen on having to take legal measures myself in order to get emobile to stop running that fraudulent account under my name and address.

at the moment i am – once again – hoping this might be close to over after i got another call from a lady at eircom confirming yet again what they have been telling me all along, and she also promised to send me written confirmation of it all – after i asked for it...yet after what i have experienced in the past months, all the bs and lies i got from emobile, i won’t get my hopes up too high just yet...all the rest seems to be very much akin to your own experience.

needless to say i am going to close my own old eircom account as soon as i move house or have a viable alternative going, and i won’t do business with that company ever again and can only advise everybody to steer clear of them...this has so far been the worst and most screwed-up experience i have had with any company...ever.

Cannot believe my issue with that fraudulent eMobile account is still ongoing, despite several calls from eMobile/eircom assuring me that all is under control and the account closed and apologies and all. They also promised written confirmation which has never materialised either. And today I got another bill.
    There is clearly something very wrong at eMobile, something really major, and some people there should get fired, possibly sued as well. They are either just feckless losers and liars or actual criminals, and somehow I am starting to believe the latter may be the case and am seriously considering getting legal advice on this whole mess right now. Didn’t think it would ever come to this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cannot believe my issue with that fraudulent eMobile account is still ongoing, despite several calls from eMobile/eircom assuring me that all is under control and the account closed and apologies and all. They also promised written confirmation which has never materialised either. And today I got another bill.
    There is clearly something very wrong at eMobile, something really major, and some people there should get fired, possibly sued as well. They are either just feckless losers and liars or actual criminals, and somehow I am starting to believe the latter may be the case and am seriously considering getting legal advice on this whole mess right now. Didn’t think it would ever come to this.

Have you considered contacting the Data Protection Commissioner and reporting this matter to them and asking for their assistance? 

You could also contact Comreg in this matter. The lack of urgency and concern demonstrated by Eircom in these matters which have serious implications for customers is quite shocking.  I wonder does anyone in Eircom's management team ever read these forums?

In the past I have found that contacting the Eircom Press office in particular proved to be effective - paul_bradley@eircom.ie

Further information here

It is genuinely astonishing that there appears to have been no response from the reps here at all? Do Eircom not have concerns about identity theft and customer protection etc?

Have no lessons been learnt at all from this farcical episode?
    eircom Group Statement on Laptop Theft

eircom has reported a potential data breach for up to 6,845 eMobile and Meteor customers along with 686 employees to the Data Protection Commissioner. The breach is a result of the theft of three laptops, two laptops from eircom’s offices at Parkwest, Dublin and a third laptop stolen from the home of an employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Steinle,
    Our apologies, that you have continued to receive bills even after this issue was resolved. This should be an easy matter to resolve. Can you PM me with your details and I can chase up both the bill and the written apology promised you.
    I will ensure all has been done to resolve this, that this has been brought to attention of data protection here and that you receive clear communication on what has been done to resolve this.
    Tony  

• Advertisement

And of course as soon as they realised I wasn't going to just freely let emobile syphon out large amounts of money from my account, due to this anomaly, they decide to hit me with a bill for  breaking my contract.

Hi Baron Kurtz
    This issues certainly warrant priority action, and any case where there is a possibility of data protection would normally be dealt with through our data protection process. I have searched for a PM with your details but have not located this. Would you mind PMing me and I will have this investigated immediately and have full response on action taken and current status.  

I cannot promise to change the outcome but do promise to see what happened and if we could have taken different course of action here.

Regards
    Tony

Hi Steinle,
    Our apologies, that you have continued to receive bills even after this issue was resolved. This should be an easy matter to resolve. Can you PM me with your details and I can chase up both the bill and the written apology promised you.
    I will ensure all has been done to resolve this, that this has been brought to attention of data protection here and that you receive clear communication on what has been done to resolve this.
    Tony  
    cheers, sent you pm

Hi Steinle,
    Tony  
    cheers, sent you pm
    Thanks Steinle
    I can understand your frustration on this. I have located previous cases and notes there and will be in touch soon. I have PM'd you just now also.
    Tony

Hi Steinle,
    Tony  
    cheers, sent you pm
    Thanks Steinle
    I can understand your frustration on this. I have located previous cases and notes there and will be in touch soon. I have PM'd you just now also.
    Tony
    ok, thanks for now

Hi Steinle,
    Tony  
    After the issue was resolved?  How do you define resolved?  This case displays incredible incompetence on the part of Eircom and everyone in Ireland should be concerned at what is display on here.  You allow someone to set up an account in another persons name - what does that say about your verification procedures for new accounts?  

You claim that the issue was resolved? Yet the false account is not shut down? Surely this type of thing should be dealt with very urgently and reported to the Gardai? And what response do we see from Eircom ? Apparently none whatsoever except to hound an innocent person for money that they do not owe.  

Is there nobody in Eircom who actually accepts responsibility for something and sees it through to the end?

Obviously no lessons have been learned from the previous data loss debacle.

• Advertisement

Hi Baron Kurtz
    This issues certainly warrant priority action, and any case where there is a possibility of data protection would normally be dealt with through our data protection process. I have searched for a PM with your details but have not located this. Would you mind PMing me and I will have this investigated immediately and have full response on action taken and current status.  

I cannot promise to change the outcome but do promise to see what happened and if we could have taken different course of action here.

Regards
    Tony
    Data protection process? What exactly is that supposed to be?  If an account can be set up in another persons name then it is sadly lacking.

dub45 wrote: »

Hi Steinle,
    Tony  
    After the issue was resolved?  How do you define resolved?  This case displays incredible incompetence on the part of Eircom and everyone in Ireland should be concerned at what is display on here.  You allow someone to set up an account in another persons name - what does that say about your verification procedures for new accounts?  

You claim that the issue was resolved? Yet the false account is not shut down? Surely this type of thing should be dealt with very urgently and reported to the Gardai? And what response do we see from Eircom ? Apparently none whatsoever except to hound an innocent person for money that they do not owe.  

Is there nobody in Eircom who actually accepts responsibility for something and sees it through to the end?

dub45
    though in this case communications regarding outstanding monies and continued billing continued to be sent to customer, the fraud issue was dealt with internally, correctly and speedily. Any fraud case will be treated as priority and within a rigorous procedure. You have continued to post on this without any knowledge of our response to what happened in this instance.
    I will have further updates on this case but these are for customer only.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

"You have continued to post on this without any knowledge of our response to what happened in this instance."

Isnt that because eircom keep involving him by sending him bills etc?

Skatedude wrote: »
    "You have continued to post on this without any knowledge of our response to what happened in this instance."

Isnt that because eircom keep involving him by sending him bills etc?
    Hi Skatedude
    Thanks for the post.
    No, actually dub45 is not the person involved in this case at all. Dub45 is maintaining an outside commentary on what he believes to be happening. But I can see why you  might get the idea he was.
    We would never offer a response like that if poster was actually affected by issue.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Tony

Hi Steinle,
    Tony  

dub45
    though in this case communications regarding outstanding monies and continued billing continued to be sent to customer, the fraud issue was dealt with internally, correctly and speedily. Any fraud case will be treated as priority and within a rigorous procedure. You have continued to post on this without any knowledge of our response to what happened in this instance.
    Tony

I have continued to post on this out of concern for what I read here plain and simple.  Eircom had a serious fraud breach not too long ago where laptops were stolen which were not encrypted in accordance with Eircom's own policy. I now read here that a person affected by identify fraud has to come on boards.ie in an attempt to get the matter resolved and feels strongly enough to write this:

Are you seriously telling me that this issue has been dealt with internally, correctly and speedily?  The account is still open if the customer is stilled being billed - Eircom have a very peculiar view of of the meaning of words like "correctly" and "speedily"?

Surely having an account closed down should be an integral part of any "rigorous" procedure.  An urgent response to any concerns by the affected person should surely be an integral part also?

What sort of "rigorous" procedure are Eircom operating if the account wasn't shut down immediately and importantly that billing wasn't ceased immediately.  You should have been apologising to the op profusely and explaining how an account could have been set up in their name not continuing to stress them though regular billing and obviously forcing them to continue contact with emoble who judging from the op's post know nothing about this "rigorous" procedure nor do they appear to have any sense of urgency in the matter.

If Eircom operate such a rigorous procedure how could the account have been set up in the first place.

Do Eircom not consider that people are allowed to be concerned and ask questions in the light of what is on view here?

Hi Steinle,
    Tony  

dub45
    Tony

I have continued to post on this out of concern for what I read here plain and simple.  Eircom had a serious fraud breach not too long ago where laptops were stolen which were not encrypted in accordance with Eircom's own policy. I now read here that a person affected by identify fraud has to come on boards.ie in an attempt to get the matter resolved and feels strongly enough to write this:

Are you seriously telling me that this issue has been dealt with internally, correctly and speedily?  The account is still open if the customer is stilled being billed - Eircom have a very peculiar view of of the meaning of words like "correctly" and "speedily"?

Surely having an account closed down should be an integral part of any "rigorous" procedure.  An urgent response to any concerns by the affected person should surely be an integral part also?

What sort of "rigorous" procedure are Eircom operating if the account wasn't shut down immediately and importantly that billing wasn't ceased immediately.  You should have been apologising to the op profusely and explaining how an account could have been set up in their name not continuing to stress them though regular billing and obviously forcing them to continue contact with emoble who judging from the op's post know nothing about this "rigorous" procedure nor do they appear to have any sense of urgency in the matter.

If Eircom operate such a rigorous procedure how could the account have been set up in the first place.

Do Eircom not consider that people are allowed to be concerned and ask questions in the light of what is on view here?
    Again dub45, you seem to cut and paste from various posts to suit your argument. We appreciate that fraud is as serious an issue as we can handle and is always taken very seriously.  No company can ignore such issues.
    I am in contact with OP and this case is in hand. All further information will be supplied to customer only.
    As an active member of the Irish Telecommunications Security Fraud Forum we follow and implement process to deal with any fraud issue immediately.

Tony

what exactly is wrong with cutting and pasting?

Do Eircom object to quotes being used in a query or comment?

What else should I do? You seem to resent me commenting on this.

I see a person where an account was set up in their name some months ago.

In spite of Eircom assurances that the matter has been dealt with the person concerned is still being billed and obviously seriously frustrated enough to have to come on line to get something done

Your membership of any organisation is an irrelevancy particularly in the light of your past failure to implement your own procedures and protect customer and employee data.

What sort of process does not involved cessation of billing as a priority>  What sort of process allowed setting up of this account in the first place.

Again if the "process" is implemented "immediately" why has the affected person to come on boards.ie to get a response?

Hi Steinle,
    Tony  

dub45
    Tony

[font=Verdana","sans-serif]now i was told that in order to set up an account in my name, someone would need my “full details”...so what are these? obviously, my name and address are not exactly secrets, though i try to be careful not to have them out there too much and would cut out address fields in envelopes etc. before throwing away...but what else? date of birth? some sort of id? if so, what sort of id? bank details? email? phone number?[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]just as a general question as this might be of interest to others as well... [/font]

Hi Steinle,
    Tony
    After the issue was resolved? How do you define resolved? This case displays incredible incompetence on the part of Eircom and everyone in Ireland should be concerned at what is display on here. You allow someone to set up an account in another persons name - what does that say about your verification procedures for new accounts?

dub45
    Tony

now i was told that in order to set up an account in my name, someone would need my “full details”...so what are these? obviously, my name and address are not exactly secrets, though i try to be careful not to have them out there too much and would cut out address fields in envelopes etc. before throwing away...but what else? date of birth? some sort of id? if so, what sort of id? bank details? email? phone number?
    just as a general question as this might be of interest to others as well...
    Hi Steinle
    The details needed to open most service accounts including an eMobile account are
    1. Bank details.
    2. Photo ID no. ( passport or driving license no)
    3. Proof of address
    4. Date of birth
    5. email address
    6. Home address.

If ordered online you would need to have sent in copies of proof of address and bank details.

I understand that you have been advised on what information was used to open this account, but i have asked that this be included again in written report to you.

Hope this answers your query.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Again dub45, you seem to cut and paste from various posts to suit your argument. We appreciate that fraud is as serious an issue as we can handle and is always taken very seriously.  No company can ignore such issues.
    I am in contact with OP and this case is in hand. All further information will be supplied to customer only.
    As an active member of the Irish Telecommunications Security Fraud Forum we follow and implement process to deal with any fraud issue immediately.

Tony

I totally understand your frustration with dub45's posting, but it honestly makes eircom look extremely unprofessional when its reps give snotty replies, like the quoted one, and the one prior to that, simply because they don't like the poster's posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Hey Tony, any word back from the PM I sent you?

[font=Verdana","sans-serif]turns out eircom have been taking the piss all along in this...promises after promises of providing me with some details on what happened to my personal data there and how, promises to send me written confirmation, never happened, told me to give their data protection officer a call, didn’t take my calls nor bother to call back...nothing, just lies and stonewalling from day one...not to mention the original data screw-up and all the harassment with fraudulent bills and threats of legal action and all...at least that seems to be over now and i am still waiting for an apology...how a company can exist with that level of incompetence and pathetic customer service attitude is beyond me... [/font]

Advertisement