Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late last night a girl and a baby came to my door...

Options
  • 28-11-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

Last night at around half ten, maybe later, my doorbell rang and at the door was an Irish girl, 20ish, and a baby in a buggy. She said she needed money for the baby,she was motioning at the buggy but I was so surprised and kind of horrified that all I heard was "need money" and "baby". I asked her if something had happened and if she was alright, she said she was and she seemed very relaxed and composed. I gave her the change I had in the house,around 6 euro,if I'd had more I'd have given it. Anyway when I gave it to her she started getting out wrapping paper or Christmas decorations which she seemed to think she had sold me. I think when I opened the door to her she told me she was selling wrapping paper but I just didn't take it in. I said I don't want to buy anything and to please take the baby home.

So I've been thinking about it since. The fact that she had paper to sell probably means she wasn't in an emergency situation and she had decided to go out last night. I probably didn't do her, or more importantly the baby, any favours encouraging her. I just thought I'd mention it here and see if she's been other places or even to warn others to be prepared if she calls. It's quite alarming to see a small, cold baby out at that hour, it's hard not to instinctively respond by trying to help by giving her money, although if I'd realised that she was selling something I may have thought differently.

She was very polite, well spoken, blonde, Irish,she looked up wrapped up well herself but the baby looked cold. I felt she was putting herself and the baby in danger though. It was a bit chilling. Is it something worth alerting the guards about? just for the sake of the babies safety and hers too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, you absolutely should be calling the guards. It's not a crime, but a call to the local station on the regular number would probably be a good idea in case she's part of a group casing houses / old people.

And if she's taking the kid out under-dressed there may be a case for child welfare to become involved in educating her. The guards are one starting point for that to happen.

I don't see any problem with her or the kid being out at night though - no more dangerous than daytime IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you're worried, do let the guards know. I'd agree that babies have differnt sleeping times so being out late isn't a huge deal, however if the baby wasn't protected from bad cold then that is an issue. I will say that sometimes kids look snotty and miserable even when toasty and properly dressed. It's hard to tell unless you know the child and their expressions. Using children to garner sympathy/stir emotions/look cute and help sales is age old, and continues to this day everywhere including mainstream media.
    When someone comes to your door though, they can totally catch you off guard and of course that's part of the tactic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

In this situation you should never give money, it is very lightly part of a scam, in all reality there are plenty of services who help people in bad situations and that is where she should be directed.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Same girl just called to my door..Awful evening to be out,baby in the pram with a plastic cover on but still..Stooping to a serious level to prey on people's decency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Tssk wrote: »
    Same girl just called to my door..Awful evening to be out,baby in the pram with a plastic cover on but still..Stooping to a serious level to prey on people's decency

Roughly where do u live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A shame to think she's still at it, glad the baby was covered but not a night to have the little fella out. It's a bad week coming up too, it's going to be cold. I think people should maybe ring the guards if they see her around this week. If a few people call they might identify her and have a word and see she gets help if she genuinely needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Same happened to me on Friday night. She was my second caller, an elderly woman called an hour earlier looking for money. Neither got any.

I live in Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

An older woman called to my door shortly after 7 tonight, asked for help and money & wishing me a happy Christmas. She sounded Irish and was wearing a heavy coat/was wrapped up.
    I said sorry, no and closed the door, but did feel awful afterwards.
    What is one to do in that situation?? I honestly felt bad afterwards, (yes i am too soft), however I also feel had I given her money then she could be back again tomorrow/next week looking for more.

Really feel it is terrible to have to deal with this at your own home - should I report it to guards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I have a very simple solution, i dont answer the door, if it is someone that knows me they will ring me or shout in to open the door.
    I remember 1 evening in summer some stranger knocked on the door and then knocked on my window while i was watching t.v, i ignored it and then went over and pulled the curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Different part of the Country all together, but I've heard of similar scenarios with a young woman or a couple of young women calling, and when your chatting at the front door a guy comes in your back door looking for anything of value! So just be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What JONJO says.
    Nobody old/with child etc knocks on random doors these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

shes checking for empty houses and also houses worth stealing from,and if you have car keys in the hallway

also Christmas gifts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I have a very simple solution, i dont answer the door, if it is someone that knows me they will ring me or shout in to open the door.
    I remember 1 evening in summer some stranger knocked on the door and then knocked on my window while i was watching t.v, i ignored it and then went over and pulled the curtains.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

This is why I never answer the door at night. And I don't have the money to give to beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Thought this was going to be an ironic twist on the Nativity story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Definitely call the guards. There is a very good chance that your house is being cased for a robbery. Not answering isn't a good idea either, unless it is blatantly obvious that you are inside and just not answering the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

This happened to me years ago when I was terribly naive. Woman called to the door of my brother's house while I was babysitting and said she needed to get food for the baby in her arms and did I have any money that she could use. Well a lightbulb went off in my head because here I was looking after a baby and the cupboards was stock full of baby food. So I start offering these little jars of baby grub to her. She just kept saying that it wasn't the right food and that money would be better. I copped on then and closed the door.
    In short, it's a scam - nothing more, just like every other single person that rings your doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Mousewar wrote: »
    This happened to me years ago when I was terribly naive. Woman called to the door of my brother's house while I was babysitting and said she needed to get food for the baby in her arms and did I have any money that she could use. Well a lightbulb went off in my head because here I was looking after a baby and the cupboards was stock full of baby food. So I start offering these little jars of baby grub to her. She just kept saying that it wasn't the right food and that money would be better. I copped on then and closed the door.
    In short, it's a scam - nothing more, just like every other single person that rings your doorbell.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE that knocks on my door is looking for money or my business, whether it be Door to Door Sales People, Charity Collectors and so on...

I can't remember the last time someone knocked on my door without wanting something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

When she knocks and nobody is at home to answer........... that's when she calls the "troops" to travel to your house.
    That is the city version.
    Farm gates are being sold door to door out the countryside.
    Same trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sofa King wrote: »

I can't remember the last time someone knocked on my door without wanting something.

Your ma?

Sadly true.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Last night a girl and a baby came to my door...
    ♪ Ooh we, chirpy, chirpy, cheep, cheep ♫

Just me then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

snubbleste wrote: »

Just me then?

Last night a baby stole my wife.........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dinorebel wrote: »
    Thought this was going to be an ironic twist on the Nativity story.
    "OMG, is that jesus in the pram?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

There are 2 seperate women that regularly come knocking on doors in my area looking for money like this. 1 always has a baby in a buggy and the other brings a snotty looking young fella with her. Both are well spoken and respectable enough looking and I've always reckoned that they must be either really desperate or just really brassed necked to be going door to door begging. I've also often wondered if they're just spying on whether people are at home for a more sinister reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ScumLord wrote: »
    "OMG, is that jesus in the pram?"
    It's Jésus actually, cos his papa was a spanish sailor who gave me the wink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

snubbleste wrote: »

Just me then?

Nearly, but the second 'a' wrecked it for me :pac:

Advertisement