Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter camping sleeping bag

• 28-11-2014 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I'm looking at buying a bag for the colder months, along with a gore-tex bivy bag, sleeping liner, foam mat, good clothing (fleece, hat + gloves) and a hearty meal what would be best? I'm looking at the snugpak range and the one that interests me goes to a comfort of -5c , taking into account that theyre estimates that would be give or take -3c.

Does anyone use a similar set up?

What do others use?

cheers-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've an Ajunilak (sp?) with a mild water resist shell. you can brush snow/ice or even spills off immediately and it wont wet through

I've used it bivvying on glaciers in a gore tex bivvy bag with just a foam mat underneath. It was ok, and with a liner it was fine. I'm not sure how cold it was during the night, but the next evening it was -11 at the cable car station.

I'll look up the model name tonight. it was about 100 pounds in and around 2000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ajungilak are great bags (I have one myself), but sadly no longer available. They are now made by these guys http://www.mammut.ch/en/products_sleepingsystems.html under the Mammut brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

Thanks guys, Think I might go with the snugpak softie 10 harrier, I cant post a link yet for some reason :/
    What does the temp hit at night in the mountains in winter anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How long is a piece of string?

Over xmas 2009 it was below -9 in the middle of the day, on several days, my car thermometer only has one digit space, at sea level.

While its not as cold here as abroad, the damp make s it feel much colder.

One November I met a woman from Siberia in a Dublin city centre pub, who told me she had never been as cold in her life. Now it was bitter, and she hadn't her furs, but it shows Irish damp and cold is very uncomfortable.

A Liner is a good idea, and they can vary from a nylon thin fabric to jersey sheet material to thin fleece.

As they don't make my bag any more it's pointless saying it was a kompakt 2000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

look for - 20 rating you can use it in snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

This Snugpak Chrysalis 5 is €104. Comfort rating -15 degrees celcius. Pretty bulky though.

If you want something lighter and less bulky, you could look at down bags, which cost a lot more. This Rab Ascent 900 looks pretty good, costing Stg£219 + shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll just have to keep an eye on the temp too when heading out, I'm also using decent base layers and liner etc so I can save on bulk and get a bag for comfort -7 , the goretex bivi bag will help with the damp and snow , I'll get back with an update of how it works out and a picture

Advertisement