Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine-making present ideas

Options
  • 28-11-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    My BIL mentioned last year that he wants to try making his own wine sometime. I bought him the River Cottage Booze book for his birthday (apparently he was a bit upset that he didn't understand a lot of it - he's not a native English speaker but my sister still had her work cut out to convince him she didn't understand most of it either).

Anyway, I'll be going to them for Christmas and since he is the world's most difficult person to buy for, I thought I'd take the easy way out and just buy him something he may eventually use to make his own wine. Has to be relatively small and light as I'll be on the train for eight hours and dragging presents for six people with me.

Any suggestions for the kind of small bits and pieces that you always need? I'll be in Dublin next weekend so if there's anywhere in the city centre that I could pick something up I could do that. Don't think I'd make it out to Glasnevin though - can you get to Mottley Brew, which I found via a different thread, easily using public transport? I won't have a car or very much time. Otherwise I'll just order something online.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Misty Moon wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    My BIL mentioned last year that he wants to try making his own wine sometime. I bought him the River Cottage Booze book for his birthday (apparently he was a bit upset that he didn't understand a lot of it - he's not a native English speaker but my sister still had her work cut out to convince him she didn't understand most of it either).

Anyway, I'll be going to them for Christmas and since he is the world's most difficult person to buy for, I thought I'd take the easy way out and just buy him something he may eventually use to make his own wine. Has to be relatively small and light as I'll be on the train for eight hours and dragging presents for six people with me.

Any suggestions for the kind of small bits and pieces that you always need? I'll be in Dublin next weekend so if there's anywhere in the city centre that I could pick something up I could do that. Don't think I'd make it out to Glasnevin though - can you get to Mottley Brew, which I found via a different thread, easily using public transport? I won't have a car or very much time. Otherwise I'll just order something online.

Thanks.

Id say your probably better off ordering online and get it delivered to his house. He's going to need a fermentation bucket for a start which is fairly big. There are other things you could get him that are small but his going to need a bucket more than anything else. Most online shops have beginners equipment kits with everything you need to get started.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

macnug wrote: »
    He's going to need a fermentation bucket for a start which is fairly big.
    There are 6-bottle starter sets with 5L fermenters available, like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

BeerNut wrote: »
    There are 6-bottle starter sets with 5L fermenters available, like this.

That's true forgot about them.

Advertisement