Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone willing to post a few kibble-cat food?

• 28-11-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭

My ferret has recently gone off Applaws completely.

She was eating this and now refuses to, also won't eat Lidl cat food, which she also used to like.

She is still eating treats. (just thought to try that today after 2 days watching her food bowl and trying to coax her.)

I'm wondering.. if anyone would be willing to post a few, literally just 5 or 6 kibble, in an envelope? See if there's a food I can find that she will eat. I'm looking try and find her a high protein feed preferably, as she also refuses to any meat.

This ferret is extremely picky. She is going to the vet today/to check teeth etc. I'm very worried about her,
    I've never given her treats often.(once or twice a month at most.) So idk where this complete switch from her normal food has come from. And I don't want to be feeding her on treats as they aren't nutritious enough at all.

And I'm desperate to find something she'll eat. (though I can't afford to be buying every brand out there in the hope of. ): ....

I know this is an odd request, and I hope it's not a problem.

Anyone know if diluting a liver pate to give via syringe would be ok for a ferret? she is taking a little of her food mashed with a liquid, but not much at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Send me your address & I can put some in the post for you.

Have you tried her on a high quality wet food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sure :) We use two different types here for two very picky cats. Maxi-zoo and another one I can't remember. PM me your address and I'll send on two samples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

I've got some Hills Vet Essentials Mature Cat that I can send you, PM me your details...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

She would be best off on a kitten food or high protein cat food with few carbohydrates. She needs to be on at least 34% protein minimum. I would try asking local petshops for free samples, Maxi Zoo and Petstop do them as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Pet food companies are usually more than willing to post out free samples. I'd send them all an email explaining your situation and I'd be surprised if they don't send out multiple samples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In MaxiZoo they often give away little sample packs of cat food. If you're near one, pop in and ask them for a few different ones to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Thanks posters, :) and I'll do just that Zapperzy!, no harm in trying.

@ Rommie, yes, that's why she was on the 80% Applaws, but at this point, any food she'll eat is better than no food. I'll then try and adjust her back to a high protein, if she ends up only eating something quite low.

at cotton, I've tried some wet food I can get locally, she won't touch anything that is like meat. We joke about her being a vegan ferret, but this is the first time it has been a real problem ):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

PM me your address and I'll pop some in the post. Hope your ferrret is back to normal quickly. Always a worry when they're not 100%

^, thanks. I'm really hoping it's a matter of finding the right food.

Managing to force feed her food mushed, but not much at all. ):

Vet is treating for an infection, teeth are fine, everything else seems fine. Gave sample of royal canin & whiskas to try as well. Hopefully I can get her interested in something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Have you tried using the Applaws in any of the duck soup recipes that are readily available online? Duck soup can be such a life-saver - myself and most of the ferret-mad people I knew always kept an emergency supply of it in the freezer, just in case! And Applaws is an excellent start, for the kibble component. I don't have ferrets anymore, but used to keep them for years. I was lucky though, as mine liked raw meat. That helped buy me a few extra months when they were old and sick at the end.

I'm afraid I only have Applaws too for my cats, so have nothing to send you. I'll probably move to Bozita next, but I still have a big bag of Applaws, so that will be ages - no use to you :(

Personally I wouldn't be happy with feeding ferrets any kibble except very high protein, meat/fish-based grain-free ones, such as Bozita, Applaws, Origen or similar. I wouldn't dream of it for my cats, and with ferrets it's even more vital. For example people have mentioned Hills and Maxi Zoo stuff, and I know for a fact that Maxi Zoo don't carry anything suitable, although their German parent company, Fressnapf, certainly do. As for the Hills, definitely wouldn't consider it.

The 34% protein figure mentioned above is something I would have been ok with maybe 10 years or so ago, but knowing what I do now, I wouldn't be happy with anything below 40. It's annoying, I used to frequent several ferret forums that I found extremely useful, but they are all inactive now - everything has gone Facebook. If you search for ferret groups on there I'm sure you're bound to find some good ones though. And likely even some people on them who'd have more suitable kibbles to send you samples to try.

Good luck with it - I know exactly how worrying it is to be desperately hunting for something a ferret will find acceptable. At least you are getting something into him though, with the mush. I've come through worse than that with mine in the past!

Edited to add: Just a couple of questions, in case it helps shed any light. How old is she? What sort of living quarters does she have? Is she an only ferret? And how many hours a day does she spend with you? Not being nosy, as I say, just checking whether any of that information is relevant, as I am racking my brains, but haven't got a great deal to go on :)

• Advertisement

@ferretone.
    Oh I know, she's real difficult..won't go for soups either, although I suppose it's worth trying to see if I can force feed them. Might be better/more nutritious than her food mushed.
    __
    And no worries, I understand asking the questions. I thought maybe it might have been moving her to the kitchen. But that's 2 months now, so it's unlikely.
    She is about 5. Picked her up from someone else when she was about 4. She's the only ferret, but she does chase and bite the cat. >.>

She has a pen & open cage in the kitchen, but the only time she's locked into the pen is when we're in bed. and the odd time while we're away. ( most of the time she has the run of the house.)

She easily has a few hours play time with us, with one and one play with her..and playing while doing house chores etc.

I will be getting her checked for insulinoma as well, I know that's quite common in older ferrets.

I emailed at least 10 of the cat food companies, I could find on zooplus XD.

I will post on which are willing to send samples, if nothing more, than people know for good customer service etc.

She's still not eating much, she will chew one or two of Whiskas and then nothing (not that I want her eating Whiskas anyway.)
    However I can force her to eat mush. (with lots of fuss and moaning, but she does eat this way.)

From reading, some ferrets go through "anorexia". (has various causes..) sometimes requires force feeding for a while and then they pick again, sometimes a change of diet can help...others just stop eating point blank.
    I'm hoping that with patience and persistence and encouragement she'll get back to eating by herself again. I'll also post next, if she takes a liking to something.

Thanks again boardsies, you're a great bunch :)
    1074019_586754831377024_267419293_o.jpg

Photo of the little bugger. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

My local dg food suppliers always give me free samples when looking for something different,

Just ask and yours will do the same,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

I can send you on a sample of iams kitten food if you want to pm me your address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have some almo nature kitten food here, PM your address.

I wrote alot, and could not post because "my submission had expired" D=

Anyway, I've found my ferret will eat Hills 'vet essentials' which I will be picking up today and Bozita.
    she did seem to find bozita easier to eat, being bigger kibble, so, I'll probably order that soon.

I'm delighted to see her eating of her own free will, again.

So thank you all for that! :)
    ____
    3 companies replied to my email to them. Bozita, sent a sample as well. Iams refused because she's not a cat and they don't know ferret nutrition and Applaws who I contacted just to find if there's was a recipe change or something, offered to send samples and a 2kg bag if there's one she likes, completely free!(on the chance that the bag we have is stale somehow). I'm well impressed with that, even if the ferret isn't too keen with it. My cat loves Applaws.
    ____

Thanks again all, for sending some kibble, with clear labels/writing :). I (and the ferret) really really appreciate it.

Advertisement