Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Activate

• 28-11-2014 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Weird i did a reinstall of Windows 7 a week ago and when i try to use Windows Activation it says Unacceptable Character when type the first number? Its OEM from Dell any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Your activation key should be a string of 25 letters, with no numbers. If you're reading it from the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the underside of the machine, you may be trying to use the number under the barcode.

Did you reinstall using OEM media? You shouldn't need to reactivate if so, so might be worth contacting Dell if the problem persists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Fysh wrote: »
    Your activation key should be a string of 25 letters, with no numbers. If you're reading it from the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the underside of the machine, you may be trying to use the number under the barcode.

Did you reinstall using OEM media? You shouldn't need to reactivate if so, so might be worth contacting Dell if the problem persists.

Thanks i took the number off what Windows said was my Key before i re-installed. Think the Windows key is under my battery. Will check.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Thanks i took the number off what Windows said was my Key before i re-installed. Think the Windows key is under my battery. Will check.

Unless you use a utility that can decrypt the actual Product Key, what you normally get in Windows is the Product ID, which is related to the activation process but isn't a direct function of your Product Key. Once you enter the key from the CoA sticker you should be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Fysh wrote: »
    Unless you use a utility that can decrypt the actual Product Key, what you normally get in Windows is the Product ID, which is related to the activation process but isn't a direct function of your Product Key. Once you enter the key from the CoA sticker you should be fine :)

Sorry but i got the number like i said underneath the inside of my battery casing. Don't know what the number i put in when i was re installing windows had OEM in it? Anyways all sorted thanks.

Advertisement