Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway water mains covers

Options
  • 28-11-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I don't know if the mains cover pictured in the attachment is unique to Galway but I can't find any information about them online. Does anyone know where to get a key to open this cover or a work around that doesn't involve a key. I have a key to turn off the mains supply but I can't get that far because I can't open the cover.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
    sog_img_3926.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Would the mains stopcock (prob under kitchen sink) not be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you need to open one of those, get on touch with the council (I suspect some other tool or key is needed anyway once cover is removed). Stopping the water to the house is done by a mains inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Would the mains stopcock (prob under kitchen sink) not be sufficient?
    Unfortunately not in this case. Where the mains enters the house under the kitchen sink two pipes branch off before you get to the stopcock where you can block the water to the rest of the house. One is for the cold tap on the sink and the other is for the dishwasher. The dishwasher has died and I have a new one coming today and I can't switch off the water to disconnect the old one because the stopcock on that pipe has stripped threads.
    biko wrote: »
    If you need to open one of those, get on touch with the council (I suspect some other tool or key is needed anyway once cover is removed). Stopping the water to the house is done by a mains inside the house.
    Some plumbers have them as well as the council. I'm figuring a call out fee will be more expensive than buying a key though. I have the second key to turn off the water if I get the cover open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I opened up one before. All you need i need is a piece of steel bent at a 90 degree angle like in the 2nd pic below. The lock is on a spring. It is harder to put back down than to take up so be careful. You don't want anybody tripping.

I used a tool you get with a new trampoline. The piece you use to stretch the springs.

water_prep2.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

sgthighway wrote: »
    I opened up one before. All you need i need is a piece of steel bent at a 90 degree angle like in the 2nd pic below. The lock is on a spring. It is harder to put back down than to take up so be careful. You don't want anybody tripping.

I used a tool you get with a new trampoline. The piece you use to stretch the springs.

water_prep2.JPG

Thanks. I bought the key second from the top in DPL for a fiver. They call it an 'Uisce Key' in their system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement