Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking samples for fg

Options
  • 28-11-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Up to now I've only taken og reading from the kettle and a fg reading during bottling

I've no tap on my fermenter, how do others take gravity readings
    I'm thinking a ladle full but worried about drops oxidising the beer

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Stockpot with 7L of water, 10ml of thin bleach and 10ml of vinegar. Drop in trial jar, hydrometer and thermometer. Dip fully sanitised trial jar into the fermenter.

With the ladle, if you're worried about the sample being contaminated just discard it after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sterilise the hydrometer and leave it in the bucket is one option.

you can also use a turkey baster to draw off samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

loyatemu wrote: »
    sterilise the hydrometer and leave it in the bucket is one option.

you can also use a turkey baster to draw off samples.

How would the krausen mangle any gravity readings?

turkey baster is one of those silicone bulb on a pyrex poofter* things?

*that was what we used in science in third year to suck in any daft insects
    sounds as daft as the insects these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thelaoislad

I sanatise a cup by steeping it in the VWP mix for ~~ 15mins , clean it off with boiling water and quickly take sample direct out of FV ..
    I dipped in the hydrometer direct a few times , but cant get a stable reading without leaving the lid of for couple of minutes..so by taking out the sample i loose a some of the goods but much easier .. no diff in sanitising the cup or the hydrommeter , i just think its easier

on slightly diff subject, I have a Cervesa beer in my FV now for 17 days , FG is very slow to reach the 1008 , its down now to 1010-1011..
    If its the same tonight should i bottle it on or leave for few more days to see it it drops more ??
    whats the thoughts on how long till its ready to taste..3 more weeks , in time for the big day ??
    Tks guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If its the same tonight should i bottle it on or leave for few more days to see it it drops more ??
    It's probably done. If you're happy that the readings are stable several days apart then bottle.
    whats the thoughts on how long till its ready to taste
    2-3 weeks should do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I just sanitise the hydrometer and put it straight in the fermenter, the only thing you have to be careful of is bubbles sticking to the glass and giving you a false reading. I've done 50+ brews this way and never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

on slightly diff subject, I have a Cervesa beer in my FV now for 17 days , FG is very slow to reach the 1008 , its down now to 1010-1011..
    whats the thoughts on how long till its ready to taste..3 more weeks , in time for the big day ??
    Tks guys

Sounds done to me., leave it at least 3 weeks. When I was doing kits I found I had to leave them 6 weeks before they were good enough.

Advertisement