Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get content for an eReader ?

Options
  • 28-11-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to get an eReader. Looking on amazon though I see that all ebooks are listed as 'kindle edition' rather than specifying the actual file format. Looking at the Kobo readers from Easons it does specify EPUB but warns that these will not be compatible with kindle devices. So is the market really this fragmented ? Does my choice of hardware really lock me into one source for buying my ebooks? And which source has the best selection ? Could I buy a Kobo reader and then find that my favourite author is only availabe in 'kindle format'. Or is there some software available on the web that with circumvent all this enforced fragmentation nonsense and guarantee that I will be able to read my digital editions on whatever hardware I choose ?
    Also, are there any other hidden snags I should watch out for when choosing my eReader ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think for kobo readers the ones from easons you get the content from easons website to download e-books. I'd imagine amazon still be ok they still be e-books unless it only specifies just for kindles. The basic kindle be roughly 80 euro. Check out if there are any special deals or offers online. Argos and amazon are good. Tesco might stock them. Which would you prefer the kobo or the kindle? I'd still highly recommend the kindle no fuss. Easy to use and download. I think sony have a e-reader version too? I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Kindle editions are .mobi files. A kindle can read pdfs and there are websites that can convert epub to mobi, I use a kindle app on a tablet as opposed to the ereader though so the amazon spec details should have more info. A friend of mine converted all of his college notes to pdf and studied on his kindle. Most classic novels are available as free pdf downloads through project guthenburg if those are of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I guess it depends on what type of books you want to read. I believe you can borrow ebooks from Dublin library, among others. You could check their site to see if they still have this option, and if so what devices are compatible.

For older books i.e. those out of copyright you could look at project Gutenberg, which has quite a lot of free (legally) ebooks.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

If the format is not compatible with your device you can use Calibre, a free tool that runs on Linux, Windows or Macs, to convert the eBook to a format that is suitable for your device.

http://calibre-ebook.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2009_

loyalbooks.com

Advertisement