Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funky smells

Options
  • 28-11-2014 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could advise on what type of infection causes a rubber glove / latex kinda smell from a brew?

I made a Christmas stout a month ago and unless a miricle happens I reckon it's a write off, I was hoping it'd sort it's self out with a few weeks in the fermenter but it's not getting any better, best way to describe it is like the smell you get at the dentists when the glove is right under your nose

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sounds phenolic. Can be bacteria, or can be your water, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Taste it, if you spit it out then dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Did you ferment at a high temp or in a hotpress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

BeerNut wrote: »
    Sounds phenolic. Can be bacteria, or can be your water, I think.
    oblivious wrote: »
    Did you ferment at a high temp or in a hotpress?

Apologies about the delayed response very busy weekend!

I'm ruling out both the water and temperature as culprits. I brewed 3 batches the same day using the same water and they all fermented next to each in the spare bedroom at 20°C ish, the other 2 are tasting fine (in fact one being particularly good! :P)

Could over pitching cause phenolic off flavors?
    RasTa wrote: »
    Taste it, if you spit it out then dump.
    Not quite spitting out bad but it certainly ain't a pleasant flavor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Elbow wrote: »

Could over pitching cause phenolic off flavors?

Overptiching you could expect fermentation metabolites such as Acetaldehyde (apple aroma/cider) or possibly diacety (butter).

Elbow wrote: »
    phenolic off flavors?

Sounds like wild yeast :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Butyric acid (also known as butanoic acid) is a compound found in all beers. The flavour is often described as cheesy or rubbery in high concentrations but can taste putrid, rancid or like baby vomit. The main reason for a high amount of butyric acid in beer is due to too much unconverted starch in the wort that has been fermented, by some yeasts or more commonly by bacteria from the genus clostridium. (Unconverted starch in wort is normally a result of steeping instead of mashing malts/grains that should be mashed or the use of adjunct syrups that contain starch)

Advertisement