Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminders and Christmas

Options
  • 28-11-2014 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

Do you give your childminder a Christmas bonus? Obviously we'll be getting her a small present from the kids.

But as everyone is all talk about bonuses this time of year, do you give the childminder one and is it a certain percentage of the salary or just a standard 50 quid on top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I buy her a nice present. Something that I know she likes. and then I get her a bottle of nice spirits or wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

And no extra bonus? We'll be getting a present either way but just wondering what the done thing is re Christmas bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Our childminder does two days (school pick ups) a week for us. We give her a gift, but not a bonus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A nice gift is fine but I am sure she would love a small bonus.
    I was delighted to get anything tbh

Thanks folks.. I think she might appreciate the cash but was concern it might come across wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Thanks folks.. I think she might appreciate the cash but was concern it might come across wrong.

Well you couldn't go wrong with an all4one voucher, if you do decide to give a bonus.

Personally I don't see the need, unless she's gone above and beyond your professional contract. Personally I wouldn't give more than a token gift from the child. The rates were agreed in the first place to reflect the work done. If an extra fifty were expected at Christmas, I'd rather it had been incorporated into the contract rate, than if I were expected to hand it over at the time of year I could least afford it! Anyways isn't it supposed to be a professional contract ...? Are random cash-in-hand payments even legal ...?

I'm glad I went with a creche! Wee box of chocs, no room for confusion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I give mine 500 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

braddun wrote: »
    I give mine 500 euro

If I were your childminder, I'd much rather my annual salary were upped by €500 (I'd also want to know net or gross), so that I could budget accordingly.

Well you couldn't go wrong with an all4one voucher, if you do decide to give a bonus.

Personally I don't see the need, unless she's gone above and beyond your professional contract. Personally I wouldn't give more than a token gift from the child. The rates were agreed in the first place to reflect the work done. If an extra fifty were expected at Christmas, I'd rather it had been incorporated into the contract rate, than if I were expected to hand it over at the time of year I could least afford it! Anyways isn't it supposed to be a professional contract ...? Are random cash-in-hand payments even legal ...?

I'm glad I went with a creche! Wee box of chocs, no room for confusion!

That's the whole point of the thread! :D Im asking is it expected or not lol Its meant as a kind gesture not a contractual clause :D

Funnily enough Christmas bonus didn't really factor in to my whole child care decision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My mother worked as a childminders for years, only stopping a year or so ago. She would never have expected a bonus.
    All the kids used to give her a gift (extremely generous ones sonetimes) but that's it.

To be honest I personally think it is completely unnecessary. You are paying them to look after your kids, so a gift is more than enough.

I can understand businesses giving bonuses to employees if they had a good year, but outside that context I think it's unnecessary.

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    My mother worked as a childminders for years, only stopping a year or so ago. She would never have expected a bonus.
    All the kids used to give her a gift (extremely generous ones sonetimes) but that's it.

To be honest I personally think it is completely unnecessary. You are paying them to look after your kids, so a gift is more than enough.

I can understand businesses giving bonuses to employees if they had a good year, but outside that context I think it's unnecessary.

Thats it exactly. We all get bonuses in work and wondered whether a childminder would expect the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Thats it exactly. We all get bonuses in work and wondered whether a childminder would expect the same.

I wouldn't think they'd expect it at all. And I personally wouldn't feel any pressure to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

We all get bonuses in work

No bonuses in my job :(:(

I always give a little bit extra at christmas and on her birthday.
    Shes very generous to my Daugher throughout the year.

foodaholic wrote: »
    No bonuses in my job :(:(

I always give a little bit extra at christmas and on her birthday.
    Shes very generous to my Daugher throughout the year.

Oh jees now im undecided again! :D

Thanks for the input folks. I'll just have to think a bit more on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

When we had a childminder I would usually give her a few euro extract Christmas, and a small present. She was great with my little girl and we were lucky to be able to afford a bit extra (at the time!) to give her at Christmas.
    I wouldn't think it's expected and wouldn't do it unless it was affordable for you.

Advertisement