Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Cast Extension wants to Read and change all your data on the websites you visi

Options
  • 28-11-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

So setting up Chromecast and all going well until I'm asked to add the Google Cast extension which requires permission to :

'Read and change all your data on the websites you visit'

Now all I really want the thing for is to mirror web pages and video wirelessly, and this permission doesn't really sound so great.

What exactly does it mean, is it safe - what information am I agreeing to hand over to google?

Thanks

Comments

It means exactly what it says. You give them permission to read and change all your data on sites you visit.

Will they do anything unwelcome with it, apart from bombarding you with adverts for whatever youve been looking at..? Probably not.

But then some subscribers to Flickr got a land recently when they discovered that Yahoo (who bought Flickr) were selling canvas prints of their pictures and keeping the money themselves. They had unwittingly given Yahoo non-explicit permission to do this when selecting their copyright settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,247 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

obviously your computer doesnt ask permission to 'create modify or delete' any and all of the data on your pc, however, that is an implied function it requires to do its job. privacy notices like this are for legal purposes and nothing to be inherently fearful of.

Advertisement