Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I register for VAT even though I don't have to charge it?

• 28-11-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

I provide a web-based animation service. For several reasons, I target mainly the US, Canada and Australia. Sometimes the UK.

I was advised that because my clients are outside of Ireland (and mostly the EU) I do not have to charge VAT as the place of supply is technically outside of Ireland's VAT jurisdiction.

However, I pay VAT on some expenses in Ireland (the usual - phone, light, stationary etc...). So, should I (and can I) register for VAT even though I would always be claiming a VAT refund?

Scenario is : I Charge no VAT but claim back VAT on Irish expenses, so the revenue owe me every two months?

Would appreciate any advice or insight on this!

Cheers,
    Dean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Are you over the threshold?

TBH you really should talk to an accountant

If you do register for VAT you'll need to do returns etc., and there are a variety of new VAT rules coming into force in January that you'll need to comply with.

There's plenty of information here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/registration.html

But talk to an accountant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Blacknight wrote: »
    Are you over the threshold?

TBH you really should talk to an accountant

If you do register for VAT you'll need to do returns etc., and there are a variety of new VAT rules coming into force in January that you'll need to comply with.

There's plenty of information here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/registration.html

But talk to an accountant

Not over the threshold (not even half) for 2014.

However, I will be over for 2015 without a doubt.

I'm planning to hire an accountant for 2015 onwards so I'm sure they can shed some light on this. Was just hoping someone on here might have had a similar scenario. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Not over the threshold (not even half) for 2014.

However, I will be over for 2015 without a doubt.

I'm planning to hire an accountant for 2015 onwards so I'm sure they can shed some light on this. Was just hoping someone on here might have had a similar scenario. :)

Having been down this road years ago - have a chat with an accountant now - not later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you know now that your revenue for 2015 is going to cross the VAT threshold, then you should register now (or for the start of January).

The VAT-man can claim back-dated VAT if they feel you registered too late - money that will have to come out of your pocket!

Advertisement