Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a coincidence?

• 28-11-2014 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I have been looking for a King Charles pup over the last two weeks. I have spoken to a couple of breeders ( seem fairly reputable) who both have the type of pup I am looking for. When I asked about the parents of the pups, in both instances they said one of the parents had been knocked down by a car within the last couple of days (opposite ends of the country).

This seems like too big a coincidence to me. Should I walk away from this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Smartguy wrote: »
    I have been looking for a King Charles pup over the last two weeks. I have spoken to a couple of breeders ( seem fairly reputable) who both have the type of pup I am looking for. When I asked about the parents of the pups, in both instances they said one of the parents had been knocked down by a car within the last couple of days (opposite ends of the country).

This seems like too big a coincidence to me. Should I walk away from this?

YES you should because the only people who will have pups available this time of year are puppy farmers. It can take a long time to find a healthy well bred pup but it'll be worth the wait when you don't have a dog plagued with health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Avoid, avoid, avoid. If you have ANY doubt, don't do it. Gut instinct is rarely wrong.

CKC dogs are easily riddled with health issues if you don't go to a good breeder who has done all the necessary genetic health testing. Be prepared to shell out a good few hundred euros for a puppy or risk paying a heck of a lot more than that down the line when hereditary health issues begin to crop up.

This is also a bad time of year to be looking for a puppy. Genuine breeders I know are absolutely against the idea of producing puppies at this time of year as Christmas is so close. BYB's are likely to be more active at this time of year in order to make a quick buck from average people with little knowledge when it comes to these things.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes avoid at all costs.

If you say reputable, where did you source these breeders from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Thanks. The pups are 8 weeks old and ikc registered but as you say if it does not feel right, walk away.

What is the deal with both parents being run over by a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks. The pups are 8 weeks old and ikc registered but as you say if it does not feel right, walk away.

I highly doubt they were run over by a car.

What health tests had the breeders carried out?

Where did you source these so called reputable breeders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Being IKC reg says nothing about the genetic health of the puppies, all it says is that they are the breed stated. You'll need to see physical paperwork that tests have been done, otherwise you're gonna pay the price later down the line, literally. :( A reputable breeder will have those tests done and will be more than happy to share everything with you, because they want to better the breed, not just be in it to make money.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Cheers guys. You have told me what I suspected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My guess is that this is their excuse for *surprise!* not being able to let you meet that parent.... Was it the dog or bitch that had been knocked down? I'm guessing it was one of each?
    CKCs are such a wonderful little dog, but my god are they plagued by health problems... They must be one of the unhealthiest breeds out there. Such an awful pity because they're such sweeties :)
    Be aware op, having IKC papers amounts to a hill of beans in the absence of other vital elements being in place, such as (and never excluding) health testing (Cavs need a lot of this), meeting pups with their mum (and ideally dad) on the breeder's premises, satisfying yourself that the breeder has reared the pups in an environment similar to the environment you intend to raise your pup... Presumably indoors with lots of access to kids and different visitors, hoovers, washing machine etc. Decent quality food, clean bedding, and a breeder who, well, interrogates you :D
    You're the one who for the next 12ish years has to live with what the breeder has done with the pups in their first weeks of life! Insist that everything is as it should be. Taking your time at this stage in order to make a considered choice will stand to you :)

For one of the pups it was the dog, cannot remember what it was for the other pup we saw. The pups are also being kept outside so again another black mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For one of the pups it was the dog, cannot remember what it was for the other pup we saw. The pups are also being kept outside so again another black mark.

Where are you finding the breeders? Online or through the breed club? Really you should be contracting breed club breeders now and going on a waiting list for puppies in the new year.

• Advertisement

Online....

Previous dog died recently (17.5 year old jack Russell) so grieving still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP if you're on Facebook there is a Cavalier Rescue group based in the UK, it's a closed group but if you joined they might be able to point you in the right direction of a reputable breeder here or even puppies in rescue or some other info that might be helpful, worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

When I got my border terrier I had trouble with a few breeders too. I tried to do my research on line and all of them seemed very legit....until, like you, I was getting the same story from many of them about why I couldn't meet the parents myself.

Also when they sent me pictures, the pics were very staged and I just thought it was a little strange. I stayed clear and would advise you do the same!

Advertisement