Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours has fallen behind in an image based web...

Options
  • 28-11-2014 10:48pm

I don't actually have any solution as i respect AH for what it is.. It's just gotten less entertaining and with no images, it's turned a bit dead compared to the rest of the net.

That's my feedback.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I agree with Ads by Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If images were allowed in After Hours it'd be a nightmare to read. Pages and pages of lolcats.
    Most other forums allow images though. I think AH is best kept clear of images for the sake of everyone's sanity and loading times.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Look at what even happened to the feedback forum when it allowed lolcats.

After hours would be insane

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Maybe we don't want to be like everywhere else on the web.

/hipster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

El Guapo! wrote: »
    If images were allowed in After Hours it'd be a nightmare to read. Pages and pages of lolcats.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Look at what even happened to the feedback forum when it allowed lolcats.

lolcats? Jesus lads, it's not 2008 anymore.

• Advertisement

lolcats? Jesus lads, it's not 2008 anymore.

I used to be with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What about a trial-run? I agree with Frada, it's not 2008 anymore. I think the novelty of image-based discussion is gone - posts can be moved to CVPL if necessary too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Most other forums allow images though. I think AH is best kept clear of images for the sake of everyone's sanity and loading times.
    I'd actually prefer pages and pages of lolcats over the pages and pages of clueless, ignorant posts that I associate with AH.

I'd actually prefer pages and pages of lolcats over the pages and pages of clueless, ignorant posts that I associate with AH.

^^
    This post would fit right in so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

The same excuse gets out everytime. It's a bit of a cop out.

Not being able to post pictures dosent mean someone can't troll and call the op gay.

Reading a wall of text can be a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Reading a wall of text can be a pain in the hole.

Do you want people to draw pictures illustrating their points rather than write them out?

Do you want people to draw pictures illustrating their points rather than write them out?

Yes. With ms point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Some of us only access AH (I am a MASSIVE lurker) on our phones. Images (and quoting images - a pet hate of mine) would be a nightmare!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes. With ms point.

We used to do that for telling people about sexual experiences, once upon a time. A lovely thread it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Not allowing pics in AH makes total sense- it's just too big and busy to cope with pics and discussion & navigation would be challenging to say the least- cool vids and pics forum meets that need admirably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

RopeDrink wrote: »
    how the occasional person gets a weird sense of entitlement about their ability to post pictures..

What on earth does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

We can't have images in AH. It'd be annoying. We already get people making comments to be funny (I'm one of them :o) but add in pictures and the first few pages are gonna turn into "who has the best picture for the OP".

And you can still link images so it's really not that bad. All it takes is an extra click of a mouse (or tap of a phone) to see it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I used to be with it...

itll-happen-to-you.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Maybe we don't want to be like everywhere else on the web.

/hipster.

We don't want to be like everywhere else, but we certainly like to look like one another, right micky? Practically like family. One disturbing family.

As far as pics are concerned, I don't miss them in AH. I'm at an age where I'm comfortable expressing my thoughts with words sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If images were allowed it would be nothing but gifs which would kill browsing for many of us I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You can post images in a convoluted sort of way ever since embedding tweets was made possible.

I've seen a few images posted to AH in that way over the last while.

How about images allowed in the opening post only? And as someone else said, a trial run.

Lolcats aren't allowed in Feedback anymore?

tumblr_mdi06r7i7x1rg5bu3o1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How about images allowed in the opening post only? And as someone else said, a trial run.

I don't think that would be technically possible. Would be great if we did a trial run in the entire forum for a week or so. Could tie it in with donations to SSF, rather than forum name changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No images please.

Hilarious pictures of people eating popcorn would infest the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ads by Google keep wanting me to convert to Islam on boards! Feck off!!! (banner ads)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Would have to be disabled for the new user if it went ahead at some point. Cleaning up messes from Polmki and his ilk has scarred me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

efb wrote: »
    Ads by Google keep wanting me to convert to Islam on boards! Feck off!!! (banner ads)

You know for the tiny sum of less than 14c per day you can browse boards without banner ads, and support the site.

You tube videos are allowed. I could easily post a you tube video of something funny to belittle someone, but it's not done.

I would appreciate a good reaction photo or gif though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Look at any popular Facebook photo or video and the comments are destroyed by the same images and memes every time without fail.

If you want to post an image, just use imgur links. It saves page loading time and the image is only one click away.

Advertisement