Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotoGP 2015 News & Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Tracks are much safer than public roads...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I agree, but the criteria for Snell is more stringent than the ECE and DOT standards required for road legal helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Infoanon wrote: »
    Julian Ryder on BT

Fair enough, just hadnt heard it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Wizard! wrote: »
    Personally, I won't trust my life to a chinese product, no matter how good their quality control is. If it is not so good, I will pay with my life.

AGVs are NOT equal to ARAIs and SHOEIs. But, since Italian legends, Agostini & Rossi, promote them (I am not against promoting, they are Italians promoting an Italian company), they are well known, but their quality does not meet the expectations. HJCs are much better in terms of safety.

Take a look at SNELs official list of helmets that meet the safety standards.
    I don't see any AGVs there... Do you? On the other hand, there is the full ARAI line up... Even the cheaper models.

http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015

Well not to nit pick, but its not a Chinese product, its simply made there, like pretty much everything else most consumers have these days. Granted you aren't putting your life in the hands of your iPhone or equivalent smartphone, but to simply not trust a product because it is made in China, I think is a bit short sighted.

As well, a little reading about AGVs quality controls brought up this.
    Regardless of the country of origin, all quality control, design, and inspection takes place in Valenza, Italy where AGV is located.

So I would be happy with the safety standards of AGV, regardless of the location of manufacturing. AGV are also owned mow by Dainese, so again ill reiterate the quality control aspect on that.

Further reading on the different standards for helmets got me this as well.
    There are many different certification standards, including SNELL, SHARP, DOT, ECE, AUS, and others. While all strive to offer the best benchmark for protecting their wearer, they achieve this result in slightly different ways. SNELL tends to concentrate more on the anti-puncture properties of a helmet and ultimate protection in a single crash, whereas SHARP focuses more on energy dispersion and the continued protection of a helmet shell through multiple impacts.

The two also test impacts at different angles, SNELL focusing on perpendicular impacts, while SHARP on oblique. Though both are excellent brands of safety, they are also mutually exclusive. In order to successfully pass one angle of tests, a helmet will often fail one or two of a different standard’s tests and vice-versa. AGV aligns more with the SHARP approach to safety and their helmets carry this certification in the UK. Since SHARP is not a US standard, their helmets are produced with DOT and ECE ratings for our market.

Im not hating on Arai or Shoei (I own an Arai!), but I think just because AGV are made in China does not mean they are of a lesser standard or quality.

I do not want to remember sad moments, however take a look at this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStK2zC1QEk

An AGV helmet, with a chin strap that broke and probably cost Marco's life.

• Advertisement

I'd rather my helmet be made by happy Japanese workers that take pride in their craft than overworked Chinese sweat shop slaves that hate their lives.

I do not want to remember sad moments, however take a look at this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStK2zC1QEk

An AGV helmet, with a chin strap that broke and probably cost Marco's life.

Wow, now thats a bit low. Do you think then if he were wearing any other helmet then he would have survived? And this despite Franco Uncini saying the crash was unpreventable? - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/oct/24/marco-simoncelli-death-motogp-tributes

He suffered multiple major trauma to his chest, neck and head. He would have needed a suit or armour to have survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Always liked the look of AGV's but find that they sit too far up the back of my big thick Irish head. :-). :-).

Gintonious wrote: »
    Wow, now thats a bit low.
    He suffered multiple major trauma to his chest, neck and head. He would have needed a suit or armour to have survived.
    No, it's not low. We are talking about saving lives here.
    Did you noticed on the video that his helmet went off because the chin strap was cut??? This is NOT a quality helmet. None could tell you, and wont tell you that Marco could still live if the helmet stayed on his head. It would be a major hit in AGV. Multiple trauma, and RIP.

Did you noticed on the video that his helmet went off because the chin strap was cut??? This is NOT a quality helmet. None could tell you, and wont tell you that Marco could still live if the helmet stayed on his head. It would be a major hit in AGV. Multiple trauma, and RIP.

The helmet came off because he was hit by 2 motorcycles at very unique angle. Saying that it isn't a quality product because the the extreme circumstances involved in this incident is laughable. He was hit from behind in quick succession from Rossi and Edwards.

He could have been wearing any helmet and the results would still be the same, every time.

And I think if AGV produced a helmet of poor quality, like you are suggesting, then the powers that be in MotoGP would have an issue with it, as would their riders.

• Advertisement

Ok. I will keep my opinion for me then. AGVs are great. Everybody should buy one.

Ok. I will keep my opinion for me then. AGVs are great. Everybody should buy one.

They are great, and if someone buys one they will have purchased a great helmet.

Marco's neck got broken because 210kg ran over it and the resultant break meant that his helmet snapped off. If Colin or Vale had ran over his head he'd probably have survived as attested by lots of crashes where riders helmets were the point of contact rather than an exposed part of the body. To say that the helmet was the reason for death is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No Helmet would have prevented Simoncelli being killed.
    Thats an extreme situation and being hit multiple times by other riders travelling at speed in Sepang is something that no helmet could protect you from.
    The two riders killed in Laguna Seca last month Rivas and Martinez one was wearing an Arai and the other a Shark.
    No helmet can protect you from all possible impacts.
    If you don't want to wear an AGV then the choice is yours, but saying that AGV are crap because a racer was killed while wearing one is pretty low in my opinion.

Hey Frostie, I have been enjoying your podcast sessions, when are you doing one with David next?
    Should be a good bit to talk about after Silverstone.:)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hey Frostie, I have been enjoying your podcast sessions, when are you doing one with David next?
    Should be a good bit to talk about after Silverstone.:)

Thanks! They've been good so far but I've had to take a back seat because of a conflict of interests on it. We do have Neil Morrison lending his bassy tones to it at the moment though so there's still some Irish on it! There'll be one online before Misano, we're looking to keep rolling them out before the race because we dont' have time to do them on a Sunday!

As a nod to the above, can we just bask in the glory of Guy Martins lid.

Agv%2BMartin%2BReplica%2B2015%2B01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Too many lads on bikes are slaves to fashion.....you know who you are, and dont give me a load of bo11ox about safety standards, its all about keeping up with the standards of yer mates gear....:rolleyes:

Guilty as charged on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Guilty as charged on that one.

At least youre honest........:P

• Advertisement

I have to look good on my Ducati.

I saw the rest of Guy Martin's statement.
    Reads like an advertisement for AGV and Dainese.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I saw the rest of Guy Martin's statement.
    Reads like an advertisement for AGV and Dainese.
    You did see his crash right?
    I'd be singing the praises of my gear if I crashed like that and was able to function afterwards.

He gets paid to wear that gear. Hardly impartial.

If it hadn't worked he wouldn't be saying anything.

He must fairly f'ed up to be talking about the "honeycomb aluminium core" in his back protector.

The fact that he can talk about a crash like that pays tribute to his gear.

He should pay tribute to the tree for not hitting him.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    He should pay tribute to the tree for not hitting him.

Basically anyone but his gear suppliers then, right?

• Advertisement

Basically anyone but his gear suppliers then, right?

Yeah. No need to mention the specific brands. Sure there all the same according to some on here.

Advertisement