Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you register business name without having an actual business ?

Options
  • 28-11-2014 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Can I register a business name to use without it being an actual trading business ? I guess all I want is to use a certain name as if it was a business but at the same time protect it from being used by someone else just in case this initially empty business would ever turn into something.

Does registering a business name come with a lot of implications and expectations or can you just simply own a business that does nothing ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Can I register a business name to use without it being an actual trading business ? I guess all I want is to use a certain name as if it was a business but at the same time protect it from being used by someone else just in case this initially empty business would ever turn into something.

Does registering a business name come with a lot of implications and expectations or can you just simply own a business that does nothing ?

You can't have two registered companies with the same name, but I don't think the same protection applies to business names.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Business names arent protected, Company names are. So you can have loads of business with the same name.

As domain names are on a first come first served basis. Buy the business name and the .ie domain name. Business name will cost you €20 .ie domain name will cost you €15, and what ever the cost of hosting and thats you covered for year 1, and your ongoing yearly cost after year 1 will just be renewing the domain name and hosting.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

capefear wrote: »
    Business names arent protected, Company names are. So you can have loads of business with the same name.

As domain names are on a first come first served basis. Buy the business name and the .ie domain name. Business name will cost you €20 .ie domain name will cost you €15, and what ever the cost of hosting and thats you covered for year 1, and your ongoing yearly cost after year 1 will just be renewing the domain name and hosting.

HTH

So I can buy the business name the same as the domain name ? Just buy the name without having to register any business/get vat numbers/do business-y things ?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

You can buy the business name as an individual and while you are waiting to receive the cert from the CRO, buy the domain name.

As you wont have the business name number from the cro for about 10 days the domain name will be reserved for you and you will have 27 days to supply the IDER with the business name number and when you supply them the number, the .ie will be yours for a year.

At that stage you dont need to do anything else, you dont need to register for tax etc until you know what you are doing regarding the business.

Advertisement