Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting a Camp Stove

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Tea/pube strainer

lol

Also check out http://zenstoves.net/Wood.htm if you like the idea of making your own wood burning camping stove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

any suggestions for a woodburner for a shed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

DIY rocket stove if it's in any way a big shed or else a gas bottle pot belly are both great setups and cheap too. Lots of videos and ideas on youtube.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    any suggestions for a woodburner for a shed?

Seen a couple of mad ones online made from tar barrels

something like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

sheesh wrote: »
    Seen a couple of mad ones online made from tar barrels

something like this

There are some kits for those on ebay, cast iron legs, fire door etc but you can guess the postage from america :eek:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-US-STOVE-BK100E-WOOD-BURNING-REGULAR-STOVE-BARREL-STOVE-KIT-1204544-/400757606127 for the basic kit and http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-US-STOVE-BKAD500-WOOD-BURNING-DOUBLE-BARREL-ADAPTER-STOVE-KIT-7666258-/131276303230 if you want to add a second barrel. Hmmmm postage looks a lot less then when I last checked:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Having a second look at the Zenstoves page, I noticed they haven't listed my own preferred stove setup. I have a Trangia with a Multifuel X2 kit and it's just the perfect cooking system to my mind...

http://www.trangia.se/english/2941.news_from_trangia.html

I've also used everything from hexamine folders and MSR pocket rocket through to Camping Gaz of all varieties. Just can't fault the Trangia and multifuel for something that's work in all cases when a fire isn't an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

That barrel stove is very good. I know someone who made one like it and it heats an industrial unit but it would be too big for me.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    That barrel stove is very good. I know someone who made one like it and it heats an industrial unit but it would be too big for me.

Have a look for gas bottle stoves which are smaller but same idea.

Another stove which I don't think is on the zenstoves list is the Brasslite Its a lightweight compact meths stove with a built in pot stand and simmer control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

my3cents wrote: »
    Another stove which I don't think is on the zenstoves list is the Brasslite Its a lightweight compact meths stove with a built in pot stand and simmer control.

The Brasslite looks pretty cool.

There is a comparison of Trangia v Brasslite here (with further comparison against a third burner called a Mini-Atomic). The Brasslite emerges as the most economical burner.

The following is the text from the youtube page:
    First I just let them burn with no pot to see the times and then a boil test...
    The Brasslite is very economical on fuel and burns long and the least hot of the three. Love the built in potstand. Easy to prime and light. Simmers. Made of brass ... duh. Pour and go stove ... no jetting action. 2 ounces weight. http://www.brasslite.com/

The Trangia is very hot and eats up fuel. Could have used a wee bit more fuel on this stove. Made of brass and the heaviest of the three at 4.75 ounces. That includes the snuffer/simmer lid, the lid with O-ring and the priming attachment. The lid has the O-ring and seals so that one can carry fuel IN the stove. A terrific feature as you can keep it warm in your pocket. Homemade pot stand as the ones available are not to my liking ... you may differ on that. Simmers with the snuffer/simmer ring. Bombproof. http://www.trangia.se/english/2924.mi...

The Mini-Atomic is hot and economical. Very light!!! I may have gotten better burn time with a 4 loop potstand rather than the 5 loop I used in the video. Oh well .... Hey, I am my own production crew and director, writer and actor. Whoooo Buddy .... under-achiever. This stove works the best with a MBD Foster pot but always does the job on larger pots as well. My favorite stove by far. No simmer. Easy to pour out un-used fuel. HOT.

Spotted this over in another forum Portable gas cooker scare where in New South Wales Australia they have banned a particular gas stove. Thing is it looks very similar to some on sale here.

On the other hand you can see the same type of stoves tested here and each time the expert shows that the stoves weren't at fault.

New-Stove.jpg

So as I mentioned in another thread I picked up a cheap chinese gas stove in the UK recently and thought this would be the best place to do a little review of it.
    highlander_hpx100_compact_stove_valve_amazon_1.jpg
    The stove is a Highlander HPX100 it is identical to the Vango compact stove and sold under several other names. Essentially its a copy of the MSR pocket rocket. It comes in a handy little plastic storage box which also leaves room for a disposable lighter and or a fire steel.

Some links to them on Amazon.co.uk Highlander HPX100, Vango compact and MSR Pocket Rocket for comparison.

They all work with any of the screw on cartridges of around 220g and 450g. No need to leave the burner attached making it easy to pack up in your gear.

I've yet to see how long I get out of cartridge. Heat control is easy right down to a really low simmer. Limited tests outside in the wind prove its up to the task but so far I've only given it a quick boil test on the workbench which isn't the same as field conditions however I confirmed the claims that it will boil 1 liter of water in 4 mins or as near as, that's quite fast.

Only down side I can find is that its not quite small enough to store in my optimus weekender cook pot set along with the gas cartridge. I probably won't be happy until I buy an optimus crux stove which does fit but its expensive.

Not something that bothers me but these small stoves are limited to the size and weight of pan the can take. Weight limit isn't a big issue as its 3.5kg but pan diameter might be for some as they don't recommend using anything over 200mm (8inches). There are several reasons for that, stability is one but a really wide pan can hold the heat in the burner head so it overheats which imo can destroy the valve and flame adjustment seals.

I paid less than a tenner for it in the UK so at current exchange rates that is under €14, from what I have seen so far I can recommend it. Given its small size it would be handy to put away for an emergency with a stock of gas cartridges which have an almost indefinite life if kept cool and dry. Should be safe to use inside on a fireproof surface and adequate ventilation. Also handy lightweight camping stove for anyone on the move.

Just to keep most of the stove links in one place I'll post this link which is for Speedster Backpacking Products.

Seems to be a new start up (no VAT) selling a meths burner, windshield and pot support system that might suit preppers or lightweight campers. Prices seem reasonable but not ordered so can't say what postage costs are to Ireland.

Advertisement