Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabra Cross car crash

Options
  • 28-11-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I saw the aftermath of a car crash last night at Cabra Cross junction..its not the first time this has happened...in fact i've seen about 7 - 10 of these incidents since I've lived in the area for the last two years...and this is just what I've seen...surely there is a huge amount annually...

Cars coming from Stoneybatter heading to Ratoath Road collide with cars coming from Ratoath Road turning right onto Navan Road..lights are green for both but the junction is designed in such a way that the driver turning right to the Navan Road does not expect a car to come straight through...

This is a real problem and I wonder if this can be addressed by the council or whoever?

Anyone got any experience of this ?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Piriz wrote: »
    Hi,

I saw the aftermath of a car crash last night at Cabra Cross junction..its not the first time this has happened...in fact i've seen about 7 - 10 of these incidents since I've lived in the area for the last two years...and this is just what I've seen...surely there is a huge amount annually...

Cars coming from Stoneybatter heading to Ratoath Road collide with cars coming from Ratoath Road turning right onto Navan Road..lights are green for both but the junction is designed in such a way that the driver turning right to the Navan Road does not expect a car to come straight through...

This is a real problem and I wonder if this can be addressed by the council or whoever?

Anyone got any experience of this ?

thanks

The drivers turning into the Navan Road should be more careful. It's a restricted layout and the drivers should use more caution.

Other than changing the light arrangement and sequence then there's probably not a lot the council can do. No harm expressing your concerns in writing to DCC roads department though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

are you saying northsiders cant drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

kceire wrote: »
    The drivers turning into the Navan Road should be more careful. It's a restricted layout and the drivers should use more caution.

Other than changing the light arrangement and sequence then there's probably not a lot the council can do. No harm expressing your concerns in writing to DCC roads department though.

I reckon it is not due to lack of safety rather the junction is difficult to interpret for drivers turning right who are not familiar with the junction and the fact that cars will drive from Stoneybatter to Ratoath Road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Speaking of crashes..anyone know what happened at hanlons corner last friday evening about 7 -7.30.

I saw one car facing up the old cabra rd and another across the front of hanlons heading towards phibsboro.
    Both were smashed up badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Speaking of crashes..anyone know what happened at hanlons corner last friday evening about 7 -7.30.

I saw one car facing up the old cabra rd and another across the front of hanlons heading towards phibsboro.
    Both were smashed up badly.

That section of road is leathal. Sure not so long ago a poor man in a wheelchair was run over by a truck.

There must be incidents there every day.

• Advertisement

another crash at Cabra Cross today, the pedestrian island hit... same **** different day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Since the road upgrade at O Reilly Bridge there is a lot more traffic on the Ratoath Road using Cabra Cross - they really need to have lights for cars turning right from the ratoath road onto Cabra Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Red Hare wrote: »
    Since the road upgrade at O Reilly Bridge there is a lot more traffic on the Ratoath Road using Cabra Cross - they really need to have lights for cars turning right from the ratoath road onto Cabra Cross.
    its still the same volume of traffic. When the level crossing was working the traffic came in waves whereas now its just a constant stream. There used to be a 1km jam every morning on the Finglas side of that level crossing, at least 30mins to get through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Used to go through it every morning at rush hour (coming up the Old Cabra Road and turning on to the Cabra Road) and hated it.

Another crash last night, same position as usual, ive seen the aftermath of about 10 in the three years ive been living in the area, makes me assume it happens almost every few weeks and nothing done..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its been a disaster ever since they changed the layout on that jumction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

always walking over smashed glass, bumpers etc on an almost daily basis

another crash this evening being treated at the moment, same situation as usual, I believe it is more the junction being difficult to read than actual driver negligence but I doubt this compensates the drivers...

its a disgrace that crashes happen here so frequently with no redesign of the junction...

I wonder how many times this happens per month, year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I don't know this junction that well, but seeing the history of this thread, perhaps someone with more experience of it could/should make a report on http://fixmystreet.ie with a link back to here. Not sure if DCC give a monkeys about http://fixmystreet.ie, but it's worth a try...

Type 17 wrote: »
    I don't know this junction that well, but seeing the history of this thread, perhaps someone with more experience of it could/should make a report on http://fixmystreet.ie with a link back to here. Not sure if DCC give a monkeys about http://fixmystreet.ie, but it's worth a try...

done!

Moderators, OP here; can we rename this thread to Cabra Cross dangerous junction please? I think is more appropriate and will facilitate more discussion.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Type 17 wrote: »

I used fixmystreet last year to report two street lights in my area that were not working for months. Nothing happened for a month so I went back and updated the request to say nothing happened. Still nothing happened. The lights did get fixed about a month ago but that was a full year after I'd alerted them to it. I don't blame fixmystreet, its merely an automated email system to inform the council of local problems. If the council decide to do nothing about the complaint then nothing gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I used fixmystreet last year to report two street lights in my area that were not working for months. Nothing happened for a month so I went back and updated the request to say nothing happened. Still nothing happened. The lights did get fixed about a month ago but that was a full year after I'd alerted them to it... If the council decide to do nothing about the complaint then nothing gets done.

Sounds like the usual level of service from DCC :rolleyes:

Just to add, my girlfriend passed by another crash at this junction on Thursday of this week, car and a van this time.. surely Dublin City Council are aware of this? but nothing being done it seems..

i've contacted DCC by email..will get a reply in two days apparently

Advertisement