Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak steps for a stairs

Options
  • 29-11-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone out there can give me a hand or point me in the right direction.. I am making a stairs, open riser with a steel beam through the middle as opposed to timber strings on either side. There is a smaller steel upright and the timber step sits on that. The problem is I am looking for kind of chunky steps, about 2 inches thick by about 10 inches wide.

I thought these would be easy enough to pick up but im having a bit of trouble finding what im after. I cant seem to get thick enough oak. Rang one joiner but didnt hear anything back from him and another friend who was going to help source them has also dissapeared on me!
    Im in Kerry if its any help, any help would be appreciated or an alternative if ye have any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Did you try a stairs joinery?

You're probably looking at a laminate of some sort at them sizes.

It would be tough finding planks that thick that haven't been machined.

Also warping & cupping come into factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Tried 2 different joiners and neither of them got back to me, I dont mind something machined or 2 or 3 pieces glued together as long as they are done right and not butchered, thats my only option now id say. I might have to try make something up myself. Not sure about the laminate, can you get them made up that size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Try some lateral thinking. You could give the local tree surgeons a ring and ask them were they sell any decent timber that they take down? Then you could also check were anyone that makes kitchens gets oak for work tops which are often about 2 inch thick.

Once its dried you won't get much movement in oak in a modern house but oak and steel DO NOT go well together. You need to use stainless steel fittings or the oak will get a black stain on it from a reaction with the tannin in the timber and you'll need to put something to stop the oak coming in direct contact with the steel riser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Two inches is an awkward size. Does the beam run lengthwise through the oak.? It would have to be square section to prevent rotation.?
    I agree with the last post, the oak would attack regular steel. Stainless steel would be prohibitively expensive so you might have to get 'box iron' and get it powdercoated.
    You could get 1" oak, rout a recess for the beam on two sides and glue them together. You would end up with about 45mm after machining but it would be rigid enough. Food for thought ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

wonga77 wrote: »
    Maybe someone out there can give me a hand or point me in the right direction.. I am making a stairs, open riser with a steel beam through the middle as opposed to timber strings on either side. There is a smaller steel upright and the timber step sits on that. The problem is I am looking for kind of chunky steps, about 2 inches thick by about 10 inches wide.

I thought these would be easy enough to pick up but im having a bit of trouble finding what im after. I cant seem to get thick enough oak. Rang one joiner but didnt hear anything back from him and another friend who was going to help source them has also dissapeared on me!
    Im in Kerry if its any help, any help would be appreciated or an alternative if ye have any ideas

Contact Dundrum saw mills in Tipperary. They are usually good for supplying standard and non standard cuts and timbers.

Sorry don't have a contact no for them. But a quick Google search should bring it up.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, There is a 4*4 section going up the middle, there is a small upright and some plate iron across the upright underneath each step. Each step will have a section routered underneath of the step to sit down over the plate.
    The stairs is about 950 wide but the plate underneath is only 300 so the steps will overhang. Each step will be secret bolted to the wall to stop any bit bounce there might be, i must try get a few photos up.
    Anyway, I think im sorted with the timber for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

you could cut them from oak kitchen counter top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Thanks for the replies, There is a 4*4 section going up the middle, there is a small upright and some plate iron across the upright underneath each step. Each step will have a section routered underneath of the step to sit down over the plate.
    The stairs is about 950 wide but the plate underneath is only 300 so the steps will overhang. Each step will be secret bolted to the wall to stop any bit bounce there might be, i must try get a few photos up.

Hi just saw this, have you tried Oliver Holbein joinery near Kenmare, I used him last year to make some oak mouldings for me, very quick and obliging can't recommend enough. I have no affiliation to him at all just impressed with his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

if im reading this correctly you'll have approxamately a foot of an overhang on one side with no fixing or support. it could be troublesome enough with cupping and twisting and even a bit of cracking down the line.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hi just saw this, have you tried Oliver Holbein joinery near Kenmare, I used him last year to make some oak mouldings for me, very quick and obliging can't recommend enough. I have no affiliation to him at all just impressed with his work.

Yeah spoke to him last week, gave him a list, never heard back from him and didnt return my text. Not to worry
    Miname wrote: »
    if im reading this correctly you'll have approxamately a foot of an overhang on one side with no fixing or support. it could be troublesome enough with cupping and twisting and even a bit of cracking down the line.

Yeah about a foot either side, one side will be bolted to the wall so that will be secure and the other side will have the handrail supporting it, ive seen it done before and it turned out very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

"Yeah spoke to him last week, gave him a list, never heard back from him and didnt return my text. Not to worry"

That's a shame, I never had that problem with him, he was very obliging albeit very busy but he still dealt with me quickly.

Advertisement