Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Lead

Options
  • 29-11-2014 7:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Hi just a question i live in a relatively old hold but a few of my bedrooms have only one power socket. Problem is i need to get a new 6 way plug extension lead anything like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-SRG62-MP-Surge-Protected-Extension/dp/B000GJCSV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417242999&sr=8-1&keywords=6+way+surge+protector with the surge protection since its a new Pc 2 plugs for that a desk lamp one for my mobile phone charger and one for some led Santa thing the kids like. Problem i have the socket is very low to the ground with little clearance. On the skirting board and a few of my old 4 way extension wont fit because the flex was to rigid at the plug to fit into the socket. Anyone know a brand or some way to ensure i buy a product that will work since i am sourcing from Amazon? A friends friend gave me a number for an electrician who put new sockets higher up in other bedrooms but unfortunately hes in hospital not well. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Ok here is a tip to solve your problem and save you some cash. listen carefully. ok are you ready. here goes..............Turn off the power. Unscrew the socket. Rotate socket 180 degrees. Screw socket back on. Turn on power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Ok here is a tip to solve your problem and save you some cash. listen carefully. ok are you ready. here goes..............Turn off the power. Unscrew the socket. Rotate socket 180 degrees. Screw socket back on. Turn on power.

That sounds plausible you mean turn off the power at the switchboard downstairs and flip the socket upside down? Upside down will work any second opinions:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    That sounds plausible you mean turn off the power at the switchboard downstairs and flip the socket upside down? Upside down will work any second opinions:o

Yeah at the switchboard. Make sure you don't pull any wires out too far

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Oasis1974 wrote: »

It will work.
    This work can be carried out by a competent person (not necessarily an electrician). Connections must be tight. Be sure you are comfortable doing this work before attempting it.

A little tip: Don't reuse any existing sockets. White plastic new sockets are not expensive, even high end. My recommendation would be MK, easy to connect, high quality and they look great.

Thing is my house is 40 years old and the socket is there from that time. Its not the new ones which i got done in a few other bedrooms. So i was hoping to flip the old one upside down but didn't realize actually replacing in with a modern one? I'm a reluctant to do this if but with the power is off i suppose unscrewing the socket cant hurt and taking a look. If there's any pressure on the wiring if i try to flip the casing around might leave it. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

Would a double adapter work? You could plug the lead into the top socket
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-13-Amp-Double-Adaptor/dp/B00331AU3A

Miley2 wrote: »
    Would a double adapter work? You could plug the lead into the top socket
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-13-Amp-Double-Adaptor/dp/B00331AU3A

Is it safe using that then connecting the extension to it? I read that chain these things together isn't a good idea.It would actually be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Thing is my house is 40 years old and the socket is there from that time.

Any Chance you could post a picture of the socket in question...?

Was shopping in my local Tesco this morning checked there plugs and stuff section.Picked up a 6 plug extension lead with power surge for €14. was able to check the plug and cable looked fine. Just got home fits fine all sorted thanks.;)

Advertisement