Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone for bowling? Not in Sligo.

• 29-11-2014 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I don't know why someone has never taken a chance and opened a bowling alley in Sligo. How long is it since the one on Ballast Quay closed? Every big town has one. I would have thought either of the two retail parks (especially the one in Carraroe) would be ideal, and it's not like both don't have empty units.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Rent and rates for a premises that size would be very expensive.

Start up costs for all the equipment etc would be very high too.

It'd be quite a chance to take, but ya, most big towns have them so they must make a profit.

I wouldn't chance it if I had the cash though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The old bowling alley shutdown in the late 90's if I recall. Wasn't a great location tbh. The retail park by the motor tax office would certainly be a good spot as it's closer to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Rent and rates for a premises that size would be very expensive.

Start up costs for all the equipment etc would be very high too.

It'd be quite a chance to take, but ya, most big towns have them so they must make a profit.

I wouldn't chance it if I had the cash though.

Again, as with almost everything in Sligo rates are a huge factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Aw man I thought we were having an outing! :(

The old bowling alley shutdown in the late 90's if I recall. Wasn't a great location tbh. The retail park by the motor tax office would certainly be a good spot as it's closer to the town.

Cleveragh is walkable from town but Carraroe has the restaurants out there. Would planning exclude Carraroe as an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Dunno about the exact planning restrictions in Carraroe tbh. The place is dying on it's arse though, and only an anchor supermarket will save it in the long run - which is currently prohibited, sadly. The likes of Homebase must be furious with the way the chamber of commerce have been attempting to marginalize the entire project from day one.

Doesn't cleveragh have one restaurant or eatery of some description?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Dunno about the exact planning restrictions in Carraroe tbh. The place is dying on it's arse though, and only an anchor supermarket will save it in the long run - which is currently prohibited, sadly. The likes of Homebase must be furious with the way the chamber of commerce have been attempting to marginalize the entire project from day one.

It's not/was not the chamber of commerce who prohibited supermarkets or fmcg's from Carraroe. It was the national town plan as drawn up by the Dept. of the Environment. Similar rules apply in other towns eg. Naas, where the units and tenants are identical.
    Would love to see a bowling alley back again and really don't understand why nobody has bothered.I'm sure theres lots of available units to suit in Collooney,for example, where rent rates wouldn't be as severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I think what really killed the old bowling alley on the Quays was alcohol being sold on the premises. I knew some parents were put off from bringing their young children once that happened. I didn't have kids at the time, but stopped going as a couple of times I was there a few stupid people the worst for wear were around and I just couldn't be bothered putting up with that. It was expensive enough without having that messing ruining it for families.

It has a cafe, never been though. Not sure if it opens on a Saturday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Cafe in Cleveragh is Park Alley, a sister cafe of Pepper Alley. If I had Lotto money, it'd definitely be an investment. I would seperate times for kids and adults to facilitate a bar. As bad as drunks are, like screamy bouncy tweeners like are just like as annoying like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

With happy days play centre, Doorly park, and the skate park that's opening over there Cleveragh does seem like a good place to stick a bowling alley, if it could all be joined up into a type if activity park with small restaurant and sports bar I'd say it'd go down well. Pity they're all in different units and the park is the far side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Were is the nearest bowling now to sligo is there still on in bundoran??

sligono1 wrote: »
    Were is the nearest bowling now to sligo is there still on in bundoran??

Yeah Bundoran. There is also one in Carrick on Shannon. If I remember correctly the pins are on strings and I think the lanes are shorter in the one in Bundoran.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Seeing this thread has gave me the notion for a game it's been years bundoran sounds like the job

If there hasn't been a bowling alley in town in nearly 20 years where have all the young bucks in Sligo been taking young ladies on first dates in that time? The pub I suppose, for a feed of pints?

A cinema and a bowling alley in Carraroe would be the best option imo, and sell the existing cinema to the owners of the Quayside Shopping Centre so a proper shopping centre could be built, and forget about reigniting the Wine St car park development. But again it comes down to the towns development plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

If there hasn't been a bowling alley in town in nearly 20 years where have all the young bucks in Sligo been taking young ladies on first dates in that time? The pub I suppose, for a feed of pints?

A cinema and a bowling alley in Carraroe would be the best option imo, and sell the existing cinema to the owners of the Quayside Shopping Centre so a proper shopping centre could be built, and forget about reigniting the Wine St car park development. But again it comes down to the towns development plan.
    Quayside is up for sale at the moment by the banks AFAIK. Definitely a good idea if the existing cinema would open up to Quayside.

A lot of the problem in Sligo is the good old chamber. Its mafia stuff with them and if your not in the inner circle your in bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I think it would be really ideal as there's so much bloody restaurants in sligo. Have something for a change like!

Advertisement