Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really good, cheap but authentic Asian restaurants in Dublin?

Options
  • 29-11-2014 2:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations? I love all types of Asian food, and some friends were telling me about some places a while ago that most Irish people would not know. The type of places the Asians in Dublin themselves go. Seems to be many around the Capel St, Parnet St type areas. I heard of a great korean bbq place, another that does great cheap sushi & noodles. I love yamamori and wagamamma but I want to go to some more authentic places - also some cheap and cheerful ones too

You guys got any recommendations?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Musashi is a popular Japanese restaurant. There is a buffet style place called Makati Avenue at the Parnell St end of Capel St I haven't been myself but it is always full of Asian people so guessing it is fairly authentic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I've been to almost all the Asian restaurants long Parnell Street. Lee Kee is the best at the moment, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Really good and cheap are hard to find for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Musashi does very good sushi. It's cheap too. Sometimes can be a bit hard getting a table- probably a good sign!

Arisu on Capel St is a nice Korean and Hilan across the road is cheap and cheerful too!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marask

Kimchi (hop house) -great korean food on parnell street. They also do sushi and noodles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Right beside Kim Chi is Pho Viet which is byob, the authentic food is mostly less than a tenner and drinks on sale are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hansung is a little korean store on great strand st beside the millenium walkway, it has a little cafe down the back that serves korean/chinese dishes for 7-8 euro. Its mainly soups and stews but is as good as anything on offer for a tenner plus in the more established restaurants around the same area.

+1 for musashi for sushi, or banyi across the river in Temple bar if u want to splash a bit more cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Also as mentioned above Hilan and Arisu are great Korean places. Arisu is Korean Japanese so has Japanese specialities like Sushi. Hilan is Korean Chinese and is an excellent meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Fwiw, I wouldn't describe Musashi as "cheap". A feed of sushi there comes to at least 20 euro. Althought that probably says more about the going rate for sushi than anything else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for all the replies. So I went to Arisu last night. It was good, and fun, but I don't think I'd be rushing back. I enjoyed most of the meal, and it was a good experience - however the meat was just not as nice as I was hoping for. I got the set menu. Some was extremely fatty - maybe that just the way they eat it but I did not like some of it, the chicken did not really taste like normal chicken. I wanted to try Hilan but it was totally full. Will give the others a go too.

Are there any other similar restaurants on the southside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

The sushi in Arisu isn't very good, but the Korean food is ok, one of the better ones in Dublin.

Musashi is ok for Japanese, but expensive - Japanese hasn't taken off the same way it has in London, and sushi in Australia and NZ is better value... I live in hope sushi will hit Dublin properly.

Tried Pho Viet recently - very good and OH has proclaimed it's his new favourite 'cheap eat'. I prefer Asian cuisine to traditional 'meat and three veg' meals, although I'm partial to a bit of Meat Wagon in Smithfields if the OH is feeling carnivorous

Zascar wrote: »
    Are there any other similar restaurants on the southside?

Ukiyo on Exchequer St has reasonably priced bento boxes. They're filling but they change daily iirc so it might be hit-or-miss depending on what you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Ok, so the following will all fall under the authentic Chinese bracket, typically frequented by Chinese people (I was introduced to the all by a Chinese person). Keep in mind that this means it wouldn't be typical Chinese takeaway fare (you'll find razorclams and the likes in these places, all do excellent pork buns). Also it's a while since I've visited any of them, so they could be closed. Also some of the dishes can be quite fatty, I suppose that's just what Chinese people like (over here anyway).

Theres one on oconnell street called m&l that's great. The lovindublin blog always raves about it.
    After that, there is a very good one when you go to the bottom of oconnell street and turn right onto parnell street, can't remember the name, but it has an aquarium at the back i think? Great pork dumplings!
    There is one on Capel street, maybe called simply "Chinese restaurant", on the left as you walk towards the south side.
    One up on Georges street just past hogans called "happy world" I think.

These have all been very good in the past, sorry about the shifty directions! Also, these places usually aren't fancy inside, sure they're nice, but they wouldn't be all dressed up like yamamouri, for example. Any lacking in the decor is compensated by the food though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Charming Noodles at 105 Parnell st is very good.

I've been going in there for lunch the last few weeks when in town. Its a case of spot the white person :)

They do a €5 meal and drink which isn't worth getting but the €7.99 starter and main is great value and tasty.

Of course the non Chinese are discriminated against with the Chinese have a much bigger menu available to them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I live in the Parnell street vicinity so have been to a lot of them. The area recently set up a website so you can check out menus etc. online: http://www.chinatowndublin.com/.

Some of the ones I have really enjoyed are: M&L on Cathedral st, my Chinese friend brought me here and ordered from the Chinese menu which was fun. It was full of local Asian people. http://www.mlchineserestaurant.com/

Lee Kee has lovely food although lacks atmosphere

Pho Viet is nice and still good value even though they upped their prices in recent years.

Kimchi is nice and has a bit more atmospher than Pho Viet, they also do nice sushi.

I love sushi and dearly miss it having just spent a month in Japan. We usually go to Musashi but recently tried Banyi - http://www.banyijapanesedining.com/. It was absolutely delicious and very very authentic with super nice Japanese staff who couldnt do enough for us. The place was jammed and i can see why.

For takeaway sushi we go to Kokoro on Liffey st which is really cheap - http://kokorosushibento.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looking for cheap sushi myself, was spoiled by the giant cheap sushi takeaway I got in amsterdam.

And pho viet looks great to check out too, awesome thread.

Wasn't too impressed with Pho Viet tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I live in the Parnell street vicinity so have been to a lot of them. The area recently set up a website so you can check out menus etc. online: http://www.chinatowndublin.com/.

Some of the ones I have really enjoyed are: M&L on Cathedral st, my Chinese friend brought me here and ordered from the Chinese menu which was fun. It was full of local Asian people. http://www.mlchineserestaurant.com/

Lee Kee has lovely food although lacks atmosphere

Pho Viet is nice and still good value even though they upped their prices in recent years.

Kimchi is nice and has a bit more atmospher than Pho Viet, they also do nice sushi.

I love sushi and dearly miss it having just spent a month in Japan. We usually go to Musashi but recently tried Banyi - http://www.banyijapanesedining.com/. It was absolutely delicious and very very authentic with super nice Japanese staff who couldnt do enough for us. The place was jammed and i can see why.

For takeaway sushi we go to Kokoro on Liffey st which is really cheap - http://kokorosushibento.com/

Can I be your friend.. Or more importantly..... Your friends friend? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

+1 for M&L (you will fare fine if you order from the Chef's Recommendations) and Pho Viet.

YumCha wrote: »
    +1 for M&L (you will fare fine if you order from the Chef's Recommendations) and Pho Viet.

I have to disagree on M&L. The chefs Menu is fine, but nothing special. Its often too crowded and noisy. The lighting is bad and the times myself and herself have been over the past few months we couldn't wait to leave, but we do prefer quieter spots so it could be just personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

ror_74 wrote: »
    I have to disagree on M&L. The chefs Menu is fine, but nothing special. Its often too crowded and noisy. The lighting is bad and the times myself and herself have been over the past few months we couldn't wait to leave, but we do prefer quieter spots so it could be just personal preference.

The OP asked for cheap, cheerful, authentic places where Asians would go - M&L fits the bill on all of those things. If there is better Szechuan food in Dublin I'd be glad to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

I went to 2 places I haven't been before last week. Lee Kee and Sichuan Chilli King both next door to each other on Parnell St. Enjoyed both and better service than M&L (who I heard changed their chef a few months back. The same dishes I was getting before now seem spicier and saltier). Both have English menus. Lee Kee's menu can be viewed on their website and Sichuan Chilli King's' menu has English with pictures. Both do have a lot of the authentic Chinese dishes on the English menu. No chicken balls though :D

YumCha wrote: »
    The OP asked for cheap, cheerful, authentic places where Asians would go - M&L fits the bill on all of those things. If there is better Szechuan food in Dublin I'd be glad to hear it!

I' d say Lee Kee and Mandarin House ( further up on Parnell St beside Chapters ) are better.

Advertisement