Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research for a game set in Ireland

Options
  • 29-11-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am currently studying a games design course and got an assignment to do some research on a new game that's going to be set in Ireland. The game has to explore Irish themes and locations, with maybe Irish history and folklore in it.

I thought this would be a good place to get some feedback on what Irish themes you guys would like to see in a game. The type of game doesn't actually matter. It's just supposed to be able to get ideas of what Irish things people like and would like to see in a game.

I just created a Survey which you can view and it would be a great help if you could take the survey. It's only 10 questions long.

I can't actually link the survey yet because im a new user

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

farmers falling off tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

braddun wrote: »
    farmers falling off tractors

it's funny, but will it get them off their tractors?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd explore the impact of being attacked, raided and occupied by a foreign power for hundreds of years upon our psyche. Read up on the Book of Invasions and all that goes with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watch Darby O'Gill and The Quiet Man. That's all you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Maybe some kind of survival horror game set in Dublin City centre late on St. Patricks Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Maybe some kind of survival horror game set in Dublin City centre late on St. Patricks Day.

That's not a survival horror game, that's real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Alright OP, I'll give you a serious answer.

How about a story driven sandbox type game set in 1930's and 40's inner city Dublin?

You join one of the animal gangs that were around at the time as a young teenager and work your way up over 20 years or so.

The game could have a strong narrative that where you and your gang buddies lives and the city itself changes over time.

Have a listen to this RTE Radio documentary about the animal gangs:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2012/0713/647163-documentary-podcast-animal-gangs-inner-city-dublin-folklore/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

If you're into medieval or ancient Celtic warrior type stuff, Irish history will be a treasure trove for you! AND you have real-life locations to back up stuff that happens in the game, eg. Newgrange, Tara, Rock-of-Cashel, those spooky tombs on top of the mountain in Sligo (Carrowkeel?) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The way they are making them these days might as well work in the Viking angle and call it Assassin's Creed : Wood Quay, could feature round tower defence missions and those could be used as sync points for our sprawling locations as is the custom in those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I reckon War of the Buttons could do with a game conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Always found the Battle of Clontarf fascinating. Almost zero actual physical evidence of the battle has ever been found and everything we know is from extracts from various sources, some of which vary in exaggeration. The actual location of the battle isn't known either, just an estimated guess.

The famous line about the battle is that it lasted from 'sunrise to sunset'. Perhaps a real time strategy game based on the battle, or perhaps a collection of famous Irish battles in which you can take part in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Phoenix Park has buckets of history.
    A resource management game with the livestock there, deer etc and then there is the zoo.
    Also, there is perhaps a tower defence of Dublin, using the various invaders etc as enemies and, as they wound up settling here, add to the skill tree of the Dublin defenders.

A language game, teaching Irish via mini games.

A dance game, like DDR or even Just Dance that teaches Irish dancing.

A folklore tale as a point and click battle title with various skirmishes in famous locations.

Or, for fun, a running jumping even flying infinite runner game, side on view, as you run to the top of Croagh Patrick and back down again, maybe differnent locations in different counties, different seasons , easy to implement with colour changes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Zombie Apocalypse Game set on Abbey Street - only because it feels like that in real life!

Anyway, I would have thought Irish Mythology is rich with themes. stories etc that can be developed into games - the Táin Bó Cúailnge; Na Fianna; Tir na Nog etc.

what about Fionn mac Cumhaill battling other giants using the landscape (trees, rocks, sods torn from the earth) as a game? Or war charioteering - as you progress you get to add or customise your battle wagon for the next event?

If you want something fairly small scale but more Rome like, the Irish Confederate Wars (1641 to 1653) would be a good source or the Williamite Wars - you could model something on a character such as Patrick Sarsfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

Luas driver simulator. Two lines for added enjoyment and dlc/season pass possibility with the new line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

i can only imagine all the English and American voice actors trying to put on Irish accents

Advertisement