Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone find the use of "being + past participle" strangely amusing?

Options
  • 29-11-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

This will sound ridiculous, but the more I think of it, the more I can't help getting a good giggle out of this particular grammatical form. Perhaps it stems from the overall ridiculousness of that "we're being bugged" scene in Father Ted? :p

In all seriousness though, does this form strike anyone else as a little bizarre, when you stop and think about it? To talk about something which is happening now, by using a present tense followed by a past participle? Do other languages do the same or is this an English oddity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

That sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm thinking more along the lines of how someone is "being attacked", a country is "being invaded", a dog is "being humped", that kind of thing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Yes. I see now. That's hysterical, hatrick. :confused:

What else do you find funny, btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

catallus wrote: »
    Yes. I see now. That's hysterical, hatrick. :confused:

What else do you find funny, btw?

Far, far too many things. ;) :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You'll absolutely lose it when you consider the past participle is used with the future and conditional tenses. Nostradamus like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I would have liked not to have been thinking about reading this thread in the future.

tac

Advertisement