Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest way to cook MANY sausages?

Options
  • 29-11-2014 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey!

What would the fastest way of safely cooking 20-30 sausages per tray with five ovens would be? I know the more sausages you'd add, the longer it'd obviously take. We need about 400 sausages basically done in a little over a hour.

You people know any tricks or anything to speed up the process? Got told it'd take at least 20 minutes to fully cook.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Hey!

What would the fastest way of safely cooking 20-30 sausages per tray with five ovens would be? I know the more sausages you'd add, the longer it'd obviously take. We need about 400 sausages basically done in a little over a hour.

You people know any tricks or anything to speed up the process? Got told it'd take at least 20 minutes to fully cook.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Boil them beforehand. That will get the cooking part done, and all you'll be left with doing is browning them and making them yummy and not looking like fingers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I hate to say this but you can deep fat fry sausages and they will cook evenly but not the best for your health. Doesn't take too long per batch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4
    • Get yourself a wire rack and pop it on top of a baking tray
    • Cut the sausages between the links so they’re all separate, then spread them out evenly on the wire rack
    Cook in the hot oven for 20 minutes, turning halfway, so they brown evenly
    • Before serving, check the sausages are piping hot all the way through and that no pink remains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

DFFFTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

We used deep fry them- taste amazing - really hot and cooked in couple minutes.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Boil them beforehand. That will get the cooking part done, and all you'll be left with doing is browning them and making them yummy and not looking like fingers. :)

Ha! Never thought of that.

Would boiling a few be the same as boiling two dozen though?

braddun wrote: »
    Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4
    • Get yourself a wire rack and pop it on top of a baking tray
    • Cut the sausages between the links so they’re all separate, then spread them out evenly on the wire rack
    Cook in the hot oven for 20 minutes, turning halfway, so they brown evenly
    • Before serving, check the sausages are piping hot all the way through and that no pink remains

20 Minutes is way too long for 130 sausages in a 1 hour / 400 sausage time-frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could parboil the sausages to cook them through, then finish them in a hot oven. I do this if I am doing a lot of sausages on the BBQ.

Note: You would need to transfer from pot to oven quickly to ensure that the sausages stay hot internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They'll taste nicest oven cooked.
    Just put them onto trays or even those disposable aluminium foil baking trays and stack them into a preheated fan oven.

If you've three or four shelves you'll be well able to cook 400.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They'll taste nicest oven cooked.
    Just put them onto trays or even those disposable aluminium foil baking trays and stack them into a preheated fan oven.

If you've three or four shelves you'll be well able to cook 400.

I think the ovens do have another shelve. Thanks for reminding me! :D

Although, would two trays full of 20/tray (making that 40 sausages in total in the oven) hinter the time? Would 20mins become 40mins? if I put two trays of 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Boil then all. Either on the day, or beforehand. I've done it many a time when I've had a big event bbq kind of thing, and there's never been a complaint! See - http://m.wikihow.com/Grill-Sausage

Damnit. Now I'm hungry.

Boil then all. Either on the day, or beforehand. I've done it many a time when I've had a big event bbq kind of thing, and there's never been a complaint! See - http://m.wikihow.com/Grill-Sausage

Damnit. Now I'm hungry.

Thanks. Will definitely suggest this. Most likely boil the day before, but what will you do with the sausages after boiling? How would you store them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thanks. Will definitely suggest this. Most likely boil the day before, but what will you do with the sausages after boiling? How would you store them?

Fridge. Any more detail and we'll be in trouble for giving food safety advice!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

deep frying them works, doesnt take long, you can hold them in the oven while you're frying the next batches

Tree wrote: »
    deep frying them works, doesnt take long, you can hold them in the oven while you're frying the next batches

Unfortunately the school doesn't have a deep fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Yes...think of when you went to school. If it takes 3 mins to boil one egg how many minutes will it take to boil 3 eggs? Answer = 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need a turkey fryer, cook the lot in one go:eek:
    Manly cooking is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

RealExpert wrote: »
    Yes...think of when you went to school. If it takes 3 mins to boil one egg how many minutes will it take to boil 3 eggs? Answer = 3

In theory, yes, but.....

In reality , once you put 3 eggs into boiling water, the water will cool down, There will be some time for the water to come back to the boil. You also may need more water in the pan in the first place to fit the eggs, so the time to bring the water to the boil in the first place will be longer.

Extrapolate up to 10 eggs and the actual time taken from having raw eggs and cold water to having boiled eggs is much longer than for 1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For 400 sausages in five ovens, that's about 80/oven. Assuming three trays in each oven that's less than 30 per tray. You can probably just bake your sausages in the ovens. Even for two trays, that's 40/tray.

If it's 20minute to bake a sausage as mentioned above, you can do at least two batches in that hour but the first batch will be cold as you bake the second. So you could do 20/tray, 2 trays/oven, five ovens, two batches. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Boiling them just seems so wrong...

They are hotdogs ... or coddle soup then.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
Advertisement