Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for property

Options
  • 29-11-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi folks! I'm looking for property in Erris, especially the area roughly framed by Kilgalligan in the west, the coastline in the north, Céide fields in the east and the R 314 in the south. I know this is just a remote bog but that's what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know someone who probably has a friend whos sister knows someone...

Or which agency is reliable and has a keen eye one the market? Would apreciate any help!

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Depending on what type of property you are looking for that is a pretty tight area geographically for a search. Mainly rural holiday homes, or older white painted single storey bungalows with a good few derelicts. Lovely area though.

The two web sites I used 3 years ago were Daft and Myproperty.ie. I emailed all the Auctioneers I could find in a certain area with very strict criteria for the property I was looking for and asked for potentials I could view. Despite that I reckon 95% of the responses from the 50% of the Auctioneers I mailed were for properties outside my criteria. It was almost like they just sent me a mailing list.

I reckon 8 out of 10 properties listed did not match the descriptions on the websites and some didn't even have photographs. The worst cases were the derelict ruins listed as buildings with a couple of acres marketed for top dollar price when in fact they were only useful as agricultural land at a fraction of the price stated.

I think you are entering the market at a good time as I reckon houses price are just about starting to climb. Good luck in your search, you may strike lucky very quickly but it took me 8 months to find the one I wanted and another 7 months to complete the purchase.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Thanks toptec!
    TopTec wrote: »

The two web sites I used 3 years ago were Daft and Myproperty.ie. I emailed all the Auctioneers I could find in a certain area with very strict criteria for the property I was looking for and asked for potentials I could view. Despite that I reckon 95% of the responses from the 50% of the Auctioneers I mailed were for properties outside my criteria. It was almost like they just sent me a mailing list..

I'm pretty sure in most cases that's exactly what they do. Of course I screen daft.ie a lot and this area seems to be like a blank...
    I think you are entering the market at a good time as I reckon houses price are just about starting to climb. Good luck in your search, you may strike lucky very quickly but it took me 8 months to find the one I wanted and another 7 months to complete the purchase.

That's the timing I'm hoping for. For me it doesn't matter if it takes 1 month or 1 year, would make it a leisure spot first anyway and make the real move probably 5- 10 years later.
    But it haunts me that the right moment for buying might pass...

BTW I live in GER so my options are limited anyway. Had a house looking trip few weeks ago, but can't come back every 2 weeks to see what's new on the market. So a good shark...ahm, agent (or someone who knows a friend who has a sister...) would be really great...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chocoroll

We just went sale agreed on a house in Mayo. We live in the Netherlands for now (both are dutch) and it's a bit more tricky when you're that far away.

But this is how we did it:
    We made lists of all houses we thought were interesting. Looked for all of them on google streetview and that way we could make a practical route. Then we went down to Ireland and for the houses who were highest on the list (most interesting) we made appointments for viewings as soon as we arrived. Other houses who we thought were less interesting we looked up our self. Sometimes it was way better then we thought sometimes worst.

We used mostly daft.ie and myhome.ie For both websites you can create e-mail alerts. So whenever there's a new house available you'll get an email. We've been in Ireland 2 for house hunting.

So keep chasing you're dream! And good luck!

chocoroll wrote: »
    We just went sale agreed on a house in Mayo.

That's great. Congratulations!
    But this is how we did it:
    We made lists of all houses we thought were interesting. Looked for all of them on google streetview and that way we could make a practical route. Then we went down to Ireland and for the houses who were highest on the list (most interesting) we made appointments for viewings as soon as we arrived. Other houses who we thought were less interesting we looked up our self. Sometimes it was way better then we thought sometimes worst.

We used mostly daft.ie and myhome.ie For both websites you can create e-mail alerts. So whenever there's a new house available you'll get an email. We've been in Ireland 2 for house hunting.

That's roughly what we were doing so far. I'm screening daft for opportunities and we've been to Mayo recently to see different interesting houses and to have a closer look at the surrounding areas. I guess you were very lucky that it only took 2 visits to find your right moment! Great thing though.

Anyway, thanks for whishing luck and sharing your experiences. I appreciate!

Prettige feestdagen & een gelukkig nieuwjaar! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 inkdog

It isn't easy. We came over from UK and found something we liked. Put in an offer which was accepted. Then...NOTHING!!! Waiting around for over four months for SOMEONE to do SOMETHING. In the meantime I decided we'd never get anywhere unless we were in the same country so in the school summer holiday we found somewhere to rent and moved over. We have set up a business...our daughter is settled in school but our quest for our own home continues!!! Nothing is ever straightforward...there are usually hidden issues with boundaries, probate, planning...and its up to you to find out. The auctioneers won't tell you and deny knowing. I would say do LOTS of research before you get in too far as we've spent loads on solicitors for nothing.

• Advertisement

inkdog wrote: »
    It isn't easy. (...) I would say do LOTS of research before you get in too far as we've spent loads on solicitors for nothing.

Fair point! I think the way you did by moving over and rent first is a good idea indeed.

Speaking of boundaries: isn't there a official land registry where you could check what the story is?

Advertisement