Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2015 Montauk

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering has anybody gone to Montauk for the J1. Whats it like for jobs, stuff to do, people etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Awesomo-4000

Hey, a few of my friends went last year, had a great time. Jobs were very easy to find as they went early enough. They spent most of their time drinkin and had no problem at all with id (most were 20). Everyone supposed to be really friendly and they met loads of irish, they definately said they would go back. Hope that helps you a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Stayed in a house in Montauk (hard to find, Irish stay in hostel apartments in MOntauk or houses in nearby amagansett & easthampton).

Plenty of jobs, each night of the week is a different bar/club with REALLY CHEAP drink. ID is fine (just photocopy passport for Star Room in EH ($20 in and free drink all night) and a drivers licence everywhere else).

Great beaches and great weather. Its really the party town of East Hampton.

Theres a lake with water sports (well worth it), a world famous surfing spot, 3 hours to manhattan, some massive houses and celebs in east hampton (which is an incredible town).

Most jobs are caddying, summer camps, restaurants and lifeguards

Locals are a bit off the walls, bit its hard to distinguish locals from summer people.

Its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Oh god, I know its too late really for this post to be of any benefit to the OP, but a moment to remember the best summer I ever had - Montauk, NY. Worked in a pizza restaraunt over there with the coolest surfer dude boss in the world and the nicest guys around. Brilliant tips and so much fun!

The nightlife, hmm,
    Sunday - Sloppy Sunday in the Point.
    Monday - Irish night in Memory Motel (Rolling Stones often stayed there back in the day),
    Tuesdays and Thursdays - $2 drinks in Nicks by the beach,
    Wednesdays - Lakeside,
    Fridays and Saturdays - anywhere and everywhere!!
    Or if you wanted, Star Rooms in East Hampton on Mondays, $20 and free drink all night!!

The people are so unbelievably friendly and nice, the beach is stunning, great waves. We stayed in a motel for the summer, as did most, ours was Montauk Motel, $135 a week for a room with two double beds and a mattress to sleep 5, a kitchenette and a bathroom. It was grand, the owner was a bit loony but we had a pool!

ID was never an issue, even in NYC, which by the way is about 3hrs train away so easy to do day trips.

Tanger Outlet Mall in Riverhead was about an hour away by bus, great shops.

God I miss that town...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

dee8839 wrote: »
    Oh god, I know its too late really for this post to be of any benefit to the OP, but a moment to remember the best summer I ever had - Montauk, NY. Worked in a pizza restaraunt over there with the coolest surfer dude boss in the world and the nicest guys around. Brilliant tips and so much fun!

The nightlife, hmm,
    Sunday - Sloppy Sunday in the Point.
    Monday - Irish night in Memory Motel (Rolling Stones often stayed there back in the day),
    Tuesdays and Thursdays - $2 drinks in Nicks by the beach,
    Wednesdays - Lakeside,
    Fridays and Saturdays - anywhere and everywhere!!
    Or if you wanted, Star Rooms in East Hampton on Mondays, $20 and free drink all night!!

The people are so unbelievably friendly and nice, the beach is stunning, great waves. We stayed in a motel for the summer, as did most, ours was Montauk Motel, $135 a week for a room with two double beds and a mattress to sleep 5, a kitchenette and a bathroom. It was grand, the owner was a bit loony but we had a pool!

ID was never an issue, even in NYC, which by the way is about 3hrs train away so easy to do day trips.

Tanger Outlet Mall in Riverhead was about an hour away by bus, great shops.

God I miss that town...:(

And THATS the reason Im going Dee!! x

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Hi there!
    Myself and a few friends are going over to Montauk, Long Island, NY for the summer on a J1 Working Visa Programme.
    We are finding it near impossible to secure jobs before leaving. We dont want to work in the country clubs as we would prefer working in the area independently doing our own thing. We can all waitress and do bartending, but the legal age is serve alcohol is 21 so even doing bus work would suit us either!

Has anyone got previous experiences at montauk on where to live and work??

Thanks guys!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭frankiebaby

Not really the answer your looking for but some of my friends who decided to go the montauk route last year found it hard to get jobs and ended up coming into the city (manhattan) to get work. dont know about this year but it cant be much better. sorry. hope you find something though

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

stayed in east hampton(just down from Montauk) a few years ago on a J1. Was fairly easy to get a job and i remember anyone i met who was staying in montauk found it fairly handy as well. just make sure you have a place to live before you head over. and write up a cv when you get over there with your us address and phone no. and you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 here's-hoping

Hey spent all last summer in montauk. No problem getting jobs there last year.. baby sitting at the yacht club is a great job. only few hours in the evening and lots of money. 100 $ a night roughly. or go to the local office of commerce in the square and put an add up.. there are two main places 2 stay for the irish in montauk. The tipperary inn is probably the best and cheapest.. standard of accomodation is pretty rough but this is as good as it gets for the irish there. great fun to be had in montauk, but make sure u go into NYC lots and travel around day trips..
    hope this helps u. dont worry about jobs especially if ye are going over early june.

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

Hi there,
    I spent last summer in Montauk!!! I loved the place soooo much!!! (and I miss it now!). Ok well first of all there is NO need to secure jobs, as there are plenty available. I was soo stressed about this before I went too but like just ask around. One thing to remember though is make sure you lie and say that you are staying til after labour day or you won't get hired. It is quiet a small town but the beaches are gorge. The Irish usually stay in one of two places, the Tipperary Inn or Ann Bryers cottages. The Tipp is such a kip and you pay $150 per week for a room with ensuite that you will share with 5 others! But I managed there and it was such good craic. The Bryers are much dearer but you get a small cottage of your own. (They are TINY!!) but have cookers which you will need. We bought a small hob thing from the DIY shop and cooked off that for the summer. twas grand! As horrible as this sounds, no offence to any others, but you are better off staying around where the other Irish are becuase you will make so many new friends that way! New York is 3 hours away by train and its a lovely train so its do-able when you feel like doign a bit of shopping. Where are you staying??? If you need any more details please feel free to PM me!!

Hi guys!!! Ive emailed around all the places mentioned....ann breyes, the motel inn or watever it is and the tipperary inn. There all full, is there any decent hosels around that we could book for our first few days there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

I don't think that there are any hostels there at all. There are mostly motels. There are two called the memory motel and the albatros...but these are both manky. Can't believe the Tipp was full!!! Try looking at other motels...I know there are loads...might be dear though!!!! Or even try other networking websites...Me and my boyf got a room cuz there was a guy trying to fill his and it worked out great!!!

After getting sorted with a cottage in Ann Breyers thank god!! Things are looking up for us! Now the only problem we have is how we are going to get from JFK Airport to Montauk, Long Island! I no their is a train service, the long island rail road but they only have 3/4 trains running a day, is this right? Can u get a plane from JFK to Montauk?? Im literally clueless and the last thing we need is to be stranded in the airport ha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

there is a train station for jfk called jamaica. you will find it fairly easy cos theres lots of signs or just ask someone. the long island railr road goes through jamaica i think but if not you can just get a train to penn station which is the main one for the LIRR to new york and then another one up to montauk. i remember we got a train from jamaica to east hampton which is the stop before montauk and we had to wait about 3 hours or so. i wouldnt advise venturing out of the train station cos i remember it being fairly dodge but if you feel up to it theres an irish pub close by called maloneys which sells bottles of bud for a dollar. here is a website for the LIRR
    http://www.longisland.com/www_frame.php?http://mta.info/lirr/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JDB09

Hey, have house in Mtk. Looking for a few more, preferably a couple, but willing to haggle. Reasonable rent. Across st. from the beach. Email: jordanbromley83@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 curls85

Hey guys,

Myself and my friend ruth are headin to montauk for the summer and we need people to share with. we were hoping for ann bryers or the tipp inn but are not fussy!!! if anyone is interested please contact me on camilla.hoban@ucdconnect.ie.

Ann Breyers and tipp inn and montauk motel would have been full months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Not at all true that those places would be full. When I last went there, we arrived on June 4th and got into Montauk Motel no problem. This year my friends arrived on May 24th and got a cottage in Ann Bryers no bother. You'll be amazed where you will find places to live. Don't worry. Just be persistent and try to make a good impression, motel owners have been known to pick one group over another for a room based on first impressions alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sm1594

Hey! Anyone any suggestions for a group heading to Montauk next summer re jobs/ accomodation? Any advice or information about previous experiences is encouraged!! also some of us will still be 20.. Will this be a big problem getting into bars/clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CaoimheB95

Hi, myself and 3 of my friends are heading out to Long Island in June and we were also thinking of staying in Montauk as well. We haven't really found out much of yet but we're looking into yacht clubs that also offer accommodation for staff.

Hey! Yea we started to think about doing something like that too, but we're really not sure yet.. accommodation just seems awful expensive out there! Let me know if you're able to find anything? help each other out a bit :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Don't know much about Montauk other than it's much, much, much further away from New York city than you might imagine. If you end up working 6 days a week, you'll never get there.

My friend emailed plenty of yacht clubs out there but hasn't heard anything as off yet. I'll start researching them fully after Christmas. Have you applied for your J1s yet?

Oh yep we booked through usit ☺️ Have you? Will hopefully find out more about accommodation in the new year so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 muirnerobo

Sm1594 wrote: »
    Hey! Anyone any suggestions for a group heading to Montauk next summer re jobs/ accomodation? Any advice or information about previous experiences is encouraged!! also some of us will still be 20.. Will this be a big problem getting into bars/clubs?

Hi! I'm also 20, I'm hoping it wont be an issue!
    Also looking at Long Island! I'm thinking either The Hamptons or Montauk, not sure yet! I haven't booked just yet,

Feel free to add me on facebook so maybe we could help eachother out?

Just search Muirne Robinson!

Cheers!

Yeah we've booked through USIT as well. Starting to look into jobs and accommodation and it seems impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dosh94

Hey guys, a group of about 10 of us are also heading to Montauk this summer, if anyone has any information about jobs/accommodation/anything at all helpful if ye could share it would be great! Ann Bryers seems to be the place everyone stays but apart from that we haven't much information on the place. It's a first time trip for all of us so if people could try help us and we'll try help back it would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi. Has anyone bought their flights off usit yet? How much were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d2014

Hi everyone

Myself and my friend have a 5 person ann breyers cottege on reserve at the moment and need 3 to fill it, anyone interested?

They're like gold dust, so get onto me if you have a group of 3 looking for accomodation!

cant post my email or phone here, but il check this a few times a day, so post back if interested

Cheers
    Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1 payjay

Hey Darragh,

We've a group of 5 so wouldn't really suit staying with yous but I'm just wondering how you contacted them?

We e-mailed last week and they said they were full so I tried calling there just in case something had come up but their number was out of service.

Any chance you know a number that works for contacting them?

Cheers,
    Matthew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kkelwood

Hi Darragh myself and two others are looking to stay in Ann Breyers also but as there's only three of us we didn't take a cottage. We'd definitely be interested in sharing, is it still available?
    Thanks, Karen.

Advertisement