Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy Now or in the New Year?

• 29-11-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Been Looking for around for a used motor, and was talking to a mechanic who told me, wait till after New Year to purchase.
    I Could wait, what's your option do the cars go down that much in price.

Budget 5/6K for 2008 preferable.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

if the price is right buy now

what make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

braddun wrote: »
    if the price is right buy now

what make

Nissan Almera 1.5 or Primira 1.6 (Petrol)

Or

Opel Astra. (1.7 d)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

There isn't going to be a whole lot of difference in the price of a 08 car now and in January. So if your getting a good deal now I'd say go for it. It not like the dealer goes in on the second of January and knocks a load of the price of all the secondhand cars. Whatever they are being reduced by has probably been already taken of them. It suits most of them to get rid of the secondhand stuff now while there quite and then in January they will have loads of trade ins coming in that they can then sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If I had €5k or €6k to spend on a car it certainly would not be on an Almera or Primera. Those two were well outdated by 2008 and were not cheap to tax on the new system either if that's the attraction.

Also prices of used cars don't automatically drop on 1st Jan. Dealers drop the price on them in November to shift them before the trade-ins start coming against new cars. You might see a further drop in late February or early March if they haven't moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've seen an '09 Auris 1.4 Diesel for over over 8k I've seen '09's to be more expensive depending on car and dealer. A trade in is possible? Or the Swap-age scheme? Are the astras not high in tax? One I've seen for over 13K as 1.3 diesel and tax band is c. I'd imagine a 1.3 over a 1.4 and a petrol over a diesel be more affordable to buy as second hand rather than buy new? Unless you put deposit in with trade in and pay for new car by instalments? I've not much understanding of buying car and no clue what apr is about :/ I doubt cars depreciate in value just as a new year commences?

• Advertisement
Advertisement