Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Khan Academy

• 30-11-2014 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Any teachers have experience using Khan Academy with secondary school students? I'm hoping to get my first year maths class set up on the website but I missed out on the Introducing Khan Academy workshop in my local education centre.

Any tips or problems you may have encountered using the site? I'm a little concerned about needing students email address to link the accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

My daughter has used it with her school. Fantastic site. They won the national finals for secondary school. Currently setting up for the primary school I work in. You don't need childrens emails. Just dates of birth. Have a look around the site. Once teacher has account, you can add pupils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Any teachers have experience using Khan Academy with secondary school students? I'm hoping to get my first year maths class set up on the website but I missed out on the Introducing Khan Academy workshop in my local education centre.

Any tips or problems you may have encountered using the site? I'm a little concerned about needing students email address to link the accounts.

I missed the course but then again the learning is in the doing... we have school emails but I think you can give them a code to log into (dunno if that gives them the option of an account you can track their progress on).

The realtime monitoring is good rather than looking for puzzled faces in a crowd or checking for feeback!

I can't figure out how do you assign them one specific practice task rather than a whole course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

The how to add students advice on their website doesn't mention anything about using dates of birth, but using school emails might be most appropriate way of doing it. I definitely want to monitor their progress and if a task is set for homework, I want to be able to check that all students have logged in and attempted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

When you go to the section to add students to your account, there's a link where you can add students without emails. For children under 13 you need a parents email but as you're secondary school I presume you wouldn't need this.

You could put your email in and you activate the account to save time as that's all the parents do here.

Advertisement