Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Terenure Opening?

Options
  • 30-11-2014 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

I see they've started building the new Aldi in earnest in Terenure. Anyone any idea when it is due to open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I read somewhere it was mid-December although after having a peak through the gates this morning on my way to work, I'd be absolutely amazed if they have it done this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

link_2007 wrote: »
    I read somewhere it was mid-December although after having a peak through the gates this morning on my way to work, I'd be absolutely amazed if they have it done this side of Christmas.

Yeah really don't think it's opening this side of Xmas, it's hard to tell as you can't see into the site properly but the big crane is still up. I think the lidl took about 6 months and the aldi is similar construction with prefab sections etc so I reckon it'll be March/April opening. Just educated guessing so could be completely wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's supposed to be opening in August, apparently. It's a big build, though to be fair they seem to have most of the excavation done already. They have moved an unbelievable amount of earth out of that site so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I think it was terrible that nothing of the old tram sheds was preserved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think it was terrible that nothing of the old tram sheds was preserved

Yeah sad they are gone but not a whole lot they could do? They were empty and derelict for many decades

• Advertisement

Yeah sad they are gone but not a whole lot they could do? They were empty and derelict for many decades

An Bord Pleanala decided they (and the old 1930 red brick loos) had no historic value. The tram sheds had basically been stripped bare over the years so there was nothing in them to preserve. The ticket office is still standing (Falks), though planning permission went in this week to turn it into a cafe/restaurant with an additional first floor. I think that's another blot on the streetscape so wouldn't miss it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I saw through a crack in the gate yesterday and they are at least two stories down with the excavation. Massive earthworks going on there.

Can anyone see this making Terenure itself worse for traffic what with those pedestrian lights nearby and the main Terenure set?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Any update on this? Is a summer opening likely? Seems to have been in development for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

I walk past this site every morning, and while they've done a good bit, there's still a few months left I reckon! Probably opening around August, if even!

I walk past this site every morning, and while they've done a good bit, there's still a few months left I reckon! Probably opening around August, if even!

Cheers, appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Will there be a car-park as part of the new development?

There's an underground car park. That's whtly the build is taking so long, they had a huge amount of excavation to do. It's looking really well so far with the traditional stone walls. Fingers crossed it proves an addition to the village!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Yes, big investment. Interesting to see how it pans out.

Anyone know how to apply for a job there? Nothing on the website and it was the same when lidl opened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Can anyone see this making Terenure itself worse for traffic what with those pedestrian lights nearby and the main Terenure set?

Ye - I am worried about this also - in the last few years there has definitely been an increase in traffic around the cross since lidl (and Tesco).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

There's an underground car park. That's whtly the build is taking so long, they had a huge amount of excavation to do. It's looking really well so far with the traditional stone walls. Fingers crossed it proves an addition to the village!

Walked by yesterday for a look. The old tram shed walls are cleaned up and looking well. It will be interesting to see how they are incorporated into the modern building.

Only the boundary wall on the right is an original wall. They levelled the tram sheds entirely but the new building has to 'echo' them, so what looks like an old wall inside on the left of the building is actually brand new. Whoever is doing the brick work is fantastic though, it looks really good. The old wall has been 'picked' and regrouted and all the horrible pebbledash has been cleared off. Very interesting really.

There is also PP in atm to turn the old ticket office (Falks) into a cafe/restaurant (because Terenure really needs more restaurants..).

There is also PP in atm to turn the old ticket office (Falks) into a cafe/restaurant (because Terenure really needs more restaurants..).

This one will have the massive advantage of having a car park beside it...

This one will have the massive advantage of having a car park beside it...

Which has 2 hours of free parking!

Anyone have a peek in lately?

• Advertisement

Anyone have a peek in lately?
    Had a look this morning the place looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Had a look this morning the place looks fantastic

Has it opened for business?

wyndham wrote: »
    Has it opened for business?

No, I'd say it must be months away as yet- I haven't looked in for some time but it couldn't be close yet (will stand corrected)

Should be open early August I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skh2

Any update on an opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Early August sounds about right, they're just about to start the shopfitting, 99% of the building work is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skh2

Ah dammit - knew it had to be close, but hoping it had opened already as would be much handier! Oh well, I'll have to wait another week or so, then

• Registered Users Posts: 1 user00776

i actually work in aldi and it'll be open on the 3rd of September 2015

user00776 wrote: »
    i actually work in aldi and it'll be open on the 3rd of September 2015

That's the kind of useful inside information I like to see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Whereabouts in Terenure is this?

Advertisement