Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinema

• 30-11-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anyone hear anything about the cinema? The lights have been on outside for last couple of day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I was told yesterday it's reopening. Don't know any details of when etc but I'm sure they'd be looking to get opened before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Let's hope they pay their bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Reopening as confirmed on front page of the Roscommon Herald today.
    Jobs also advertised in the paper.
    Great news for the locality.
    I hope it's well supported now.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DjKlubster

Yes as addle said. Just seen it there on the herald hoping to be opened by christmas. Hopefully stays open. Il be supporting it anyways! Saves the drive else where :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Ya saves the drive into Athlone. Hope they get good movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

great!

hope they can make a success of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Wont be long till its closed again, was always to dear and didnt get the newest films

Wont be long till its closed again, was always to dear and didnt get the newest films

This isn't flix cinema again. A different crowd well be running it from the report in the paper

According to the Herald this crowd are C&L cinema owned by Digital Cinema LTD. Did a search on Digital Cinema LTD and a bog standard website appeared, however it has been registered since 2003. So hopefully in this case the company operating the cinema are here for the long haul and not a fly by night company.

With that said I was surprised to see that the 16 jobs being advertised include ; 4 Supervisors and the remaining for assistants. Who got the management jobs? Sounds like a very similar setup to the crowd that operated Flix, all in house management who didn't have a clue.

I just wish one of the big boys would operate the cinema here which would give me far more confidence for the future survival of it!

According to the Herald this crowd are C&L cinema owned by Digital Cinema LTD. Did a search on Digital Cinema LTD and a bog standard website appeared, however it has been registered since 2003. So hopefully in this case the company operating the cinema are here for the long haul and not a fly by night company.

With that said I was surprised to see that the 16 jobs being advertised include ; 4 Supervisors and the remaining for assistants. Who got the management jobs? Sounds like a very similar setup to the crowd that operated Flix, all in house management who didn't have a clue.

I just wish one of the big boys would operate the cinema here which would give me far more confidence for the future survival of it!

Theyll be gone by the easter

• Advertisement

Theyll be gone by the easter

Lets hope not, for the sake of those getting the jobs and for the benefit of the town.

I for one will support them, its great that I wont have to drive to Athlone to watch a film again.

There was so much wrong with the old setup that any decent management would be able to rectify.

I hope it gets the custom it needs and that the people who moan about there not being a cinema in town actually use it when it's there.

Addle wrote: »
    I hope it gets the custom it needs and that the people who moan about there not being a cinema in town actually use it when it's there.

Fingers crossed

Any date of when it is opening

Addle wrote: »

All childrens films, what are they playing at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

All childrens films, what are they playing at

The hobbit is showing, I'm nearly 40 and itching to see it, far from a kids film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

prices?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    prices?

7.50 for an adult

Feckn frozen been shown. Come on it was out last year. Isn't it a 5 screen cinema.

• Advertisement

Anyone been yet?
    Thinking of going to Interstellar this eve just for the sake of going!

Went to see the Hobbit yesterday, now I remember why I absolutely love this cinema, the video and audio are outstanding, one of the best cinemas in the country. The seats are very steep so everyone has a good view (although my wife suffers from vertigo and has trouble going down the steps unassisted). The place is barebones, all the other areas are taped off and the entrance lobby was very cold, the girl behind the counter was even blowing on her fingers to keep them warm but the cinema screen itself was roasting with hot air circulating, a little too hot. They have no payment facilities, cash only and there was no hot popcorn available, only bags. Hopefully this will get taken over full time as it's a valuable asset to the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hopefully they will get everything sorted ASAP. As it would be great if they showed las test film we would definitely support it.

But they need to have payment facility as that a joke paying cash

What a joke of a cinema, showing Frozen sing along and Get Santa in January!

Had to travel to other towns to see the latest movies.

Heard its the same crowd as before so I expect it will be gone soon, and im not surprised.

Heard its the same crowd as before so I expect it will be gone soon, and im not surprised.

I've been told by several people that it's definitely not the original crowd

I've been told by several people that it's definitely not the original crowd

Well im shocked it isnt, seems to be just as badly run.

Why cant we just get one of the big players here without the constant messing about by the small guys who havent a clue.

Why cant we just get one of the big players here without the constant messing about by the small guys who havent a clue.

Word is the company running it now have another cinema complex. Maybe the big players see it for what it is, built in an area that hasn't the population to sustain something that size.

Its a joke of an operation again, childerns films is all there showing too,

Its a joke of an operation again, childerns films is all there showing too,

You've already said that, once again The Hobbit is not a childrens film. Such negativity and begrudgery in this thread. I think it's great someone it trying to make a go of the place

• Advertisement

You've already said that, once again The Hobbit is not a childrens film. Such negativity and begrudgery in this thread. I think it's great someone it trying to make a go of the place

In fairness look at what they are showing compared to other cinemas, its pretty pathetic.

Its bare inside, no card payment, no hot popcorn and not even a poster in the window.

I even saw a scribbled note saying no card payments plastered on the door, how hard would it be to print something?

they dont even have a sign above the door!

People constantly ask on their facebook page if they are getting this or that with the standard response, "we are trying to get hold of that movie".

A complete shambles.

Yes, it's a trial to see if the place is worth running full time, makes perfect sense to me. All of those issues require commitment

Well there still showing the christmas films, how is that not daft, no sign of taken 3 or anything else good, they need to have a bit of cop on and show what fellas want to see or theyll be empty

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Guys,

Any news on when it is opening ?

Seb

locteau wrote: »
    Guys,

Any news on when it is opening ?

Seb

Its open a few weeks now,

I should have known....i work in Roscommon but live in Galway

• Advertisement

I should have known....i work in Roscommon but live in Galway

Not a bother, the choice of films is not great, lots of kids ones and a good few old ones but it's getting a bit better, no popcorn machine there so you might as well bring in your own in packets

How many rooms open ? And is bowling open as well ?

I am off for two weeks (surgery) but when back will come to visit. Lots of empty space over there and entertainment opportunities :-)

Seb

How many rooms open ? And is bowling open as well ?

I am off for two weeks (surgery) but when back will come to visit. Lots of empty space over there and entertainment opportunities :-)

Seb

Only the cinema was open over Christmas, everywhere else taped off.

They told me they were going to wait to see how the cinema goes before putting the bowling back

Was at Heatons yesterday, seemed to be a good few in the cinema and the car park is certainly busier.

Hopefully they get the trade they need but I wont be attending whilst they continue to show movies ive already seen.

• Advertisement

They're pretty up to date now in fairness.
    Paddington is on-but a discounted rate for the kids club. My nieces and nephews were brought to it and their parents were impressed with how warm the place is considering how cold it is outside.
    I'm going to see Mortdecai tonight, it'll be my first visit since it reopened.

Hey guys,

Any website link with schedule ?

Wonder if any movies during the week as well. They should have poster in local businesses :-)

Seb

A quick google will give you listings.
    There's a facebook page linked earlier and ads in the free local newspaper.
    Putting posters in local business' is a bit archaic.

Just had to book tickets for the Cinema in Athlone. The other half wants to see 50 shades. Asked in Roscommon if they were going to show it but they didn't know. Said it was unlikely.

Shame, would have rather given my money to the local cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Just had to book tickets for the Cinema in Athlone. The other half wants to see 50 shades. Asked in Roscommon if they were going to show it but they didn't know. Said it was unlikely.

Shame, would have rather given my money to the local cinema.

That's not what they're saying on their Facebook page!

They said they'll be showing FSOG from the 13th Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

It's a great facility to have in the town.
    Roscommon Tom you should be called Negative Tom, wishing something over before it even begins.
    Roscommon does not have the population for some of the big players to bother coming. Get up off yer holes and go and support the people who are willing to try it and see. Jesus drives me mad that kind of attitude. Same fella will be in Tesco buying over priced about to go off food just because its Tesco and they are grocery giants and sure everyone goes there. Baaaaaa.

I've been and it's a great cinema, spotless CLEAN, warm, great screens & seats, great sound and they are getting a good variety of movies for young and old. I was in Ros looking at cinema listings and could see three movies I wanted to see, travelled to Wexford the same weekend where there's an Omniplex and there was nothing on I wanted to go to.

The only issue is the lack of cinema popcorn/drinks, but I can understand them not wanting to invest in a machine at this point.

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Roscommon Tom you should be called Negative Tom, wishing something over before it even begins.
    Roscommon does not have the population for some of the big players to bother coming. Get up off yer holes and go and support the people who are willing to try it and see. Jesus drives me mad that kind of attitude. Same fella will be in Tesco buying over priced about to go off food just because its Tesco and they are grocery giants and sure everyone goes there. Baaaaaa.

I've been and it's a great cinema, spotless CLEAN, warm, great screens & seats, great sound and they are getting a good variety of movies for young and old. I was in Ros looking at cinema listings and could see three movies I wanted to see, travelled to Wexford the same weekend where there's an Omniplex and there was nothing on I wanted to go to.

The only issue is the lack of cinema popcorn/drinks, but I can understand them not wanting to invest in a machine at this point.
    there isn't any drinks or popcorn

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Roscommon Tom you should be called Negative Tom, wishing something over before it even begins

Pure rubbish from you as usual, cheek of you having a go at me, I'm intitled to my opion as much as the next fella

Advertisement