Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Long Long shot engine hunt

Options
  • 30-11-2014 11:18am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just on the off chance one of you came across one of these engines over your lifetime, I am looking for a Thornycroft 20 hp A4 from around 1900 like this one that is in Australia powering a saw :eek: They were used in early Thornycroft cars and trucks and maybe just maybe there might be one surviving in Ireland somewhere :)

Thornycroft-A4_zpse6b18107.jpg

The engine will be used for one of the first powerboats ever built Scolopendra she raced here in Cork in 1903 against the famous race car driver Dorothy Levitt among others and maybe the oldest surviving powerboat ever built.

scolopendra02_zps2176c287.jpg

As she is at the moment, Thanks in advance for any help I know it's a long shot but if you don't ask you will never know :)

IMGP2950_zps87a588e2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Buy the lads in Australia a modern more efficient engine and take theirs in exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The uk is a better bet for searching than here, early commercials this side of the water had very, very short working lives.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The uk is a better bet for searching than here, early commercials this side of the water had very, very short working lives.

The word is out in the UK as well as a few other countries :)
    I know where there is one in the UK but they won't let me have it :D

gaydoncar.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Put in a daihatsu charade 1.0 3 cylinder deesel, save a fortune on juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bbsrs wrote: »
    Put in a daihatsu charade 1.0 3 cylinder deesel, save a fortune on juice.

may as well build a fibre-glass hull too whilst you are at it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement