Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Wayne Rooney Break The Premier League Goalscoring Record?

• 30-11-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Goals on Sunday and they showed the graphic of top Premier League all-time goalscorers, which got me thinking if Wayne Rooney will break the record held by Alan Shearer. So as per the thread title, when all is said and done, do you think he'll do it?

168aa66b628585843fe69f1c147cb50e.png

He needs 83 Premier League goals to break it and probably has around 5 seasons left in him (which would average at around 17 goals a season), but the fact he has been playing 40 games a season since he was 16/17 might see him slow down a bit earlier. In addition, he has been playing a deeper role at times too which doesn't help in terms of goalscoring.

Since he has been at Manchester United, the below is his league goalscoring record according to Wiki. Over the last 5 years he has averaged 19 a season:

77610f4491925c08bf1d105412b12e4e.png

Poll to follow.

Will Wayne Rooney Break The Premier League Goalscoring Record? 34 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    zAbboevad_lhorg[Deleted User][Deleted User]homerjay2005OctavarIanNailzNalzRVD420callaway92killwillHank ScorpiobeertonswillowthewispeurokevJordonvitoprettyboy81Owen_SSaganistshadowcomplex 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I voted no based on the "5 season left in him and playing a deeper role" reasoning ... can't see him getting into late teens goals scored consistently for the next 5 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It all depends on the fortunes of the club. A few more years of mediocrity and he hasn't a hope, unless he does it with Chelsea or City :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Voted no.

I honestly don't think he has 5 seasons at 16 goals a season left in him. Maybe 2 or 3, but I think he'll ultimately fall just short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Voted no.

Can see him reaching 230-240 but he's probably a year or two behind reaching 260. Maybe if he is some how able to extend his career giggs style he might get there but with all the injuries he has had and how he plays it seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

No
    No hope in high hell can he keep that consistency of goals for another 5 years. Would love to see it happen but as you've said about the 40 games a season since he was 16, it'll make it a serious feat.

• Advertisement

Shearer has over 280 goals I thought or have his goals pre premier league been disallowed??

Surely total goals is the real record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I presume the effort to make everyone ignore everything that came before 1992 is the PL's doing.

The actual records are this:

1 Jimmy Greaves 1957–1972 516 357
    2 Steve Bloomer 1892–1910 536 317
    3 Dixie Dean 1924–1938 362 310
    4 Gordon Hodgson 1925–1940 456 287
    5 Alan Shearer 1988–2006 559 283
    6 Charlie Buchan 1912–1928 482 257
    7 Nat Lofthouse 1946–1960 452 255
    8 Joe Bradford 1921–1935 410 248
    9 Hughie Gallacher 1925–1938 355 246
    10 Joe Smith 1925–1938 410 243

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No way he was never that 30 goal a season striker like shearer was. He will finish with a mighty impressive tally though alright for a player who spent his career been shunted around the pitch.

With the game gone the way it is, it's safe to say shearers record will never be beaten

Gbear wrote: »
    I presume the effort to make everyone ignore everything that came before 1992 is the PL's doing.

The actual records are this:

1 Jimmy Greaves 1957–1972 516 357
    2 Steve Bloomer 1892–1910 536 317
    3 Dixie Dean 1924–1938 362 310
    4 Gordon Hodgson 1925–1940 456 287
    5 Alan Shearer 1988–2006 559 283
    6 Charlie Buchan 1912–1928 482 257
    7 Nat Lofthouse 1946–1960 452 255
    8 Joe Bradford 1921–1935 410 248
    9 Hughie Gallacher 1925–1938 355 246
    10 Joe Smith 1925–1938 410 243

Well that's a completely different question than that asked in the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can't see it happening. Has only hit the required average 3 times in the past 10 years so expecting him to do it 5 seasons in a row is a bit optimistic.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can't see it happening. Has only hit the required average 3 times in the past 10 years so expecting him to do it 5 seasons in a row is a bit optimistic.

He's past his peak too and I'm not so sure he'll be the type of player to play late into his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Depends on how long he plays tbh, but Shearer always played as the centre forward, the fact that Wayne has scored so many while playing much of his career in other positions is a testament to his achievement already. He is in with a shot but my instinct says no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Also has to be said, after looking at the table of PL record goalscorers - Lampard at #5 for a midfielder is simply incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's past his peak too and I'm not so sure he'll be the type of player to play late into his career.

Huge call to say he's past his peak. Been one of our best players this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Doesn't matter if he's been yer best player this year, fact is the Rooney of old is gone...he was consistently devastating a few years back. Nowadays he can have a few stinkers in the same month as a top performance.

Didn't you get the memo? Paul Scholes said he might be past his best in an article so that's what we're all going with ever since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If he had played as the main striker his entire career then he would already be close to beating the record.

But he wasn't. And so he won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If he had played as the main striker his entire career then he would already be close to beating the record.

But he wasn't. And so he won't.

and if Shearer had joined Utd the record would probably be a good bit higher, But he didn't , and its isn't.

Doesn't matter if he's been yer best player this year, fact is the Rooney of old is gone...he was consistently devastating a few years back. Nowadays he can have a few stinkers in the same month as a top performance.

He always had stinkers. The Rooney of old has been gone about 5 years, but he still keeps banging them in. His game has changed and he has been pretty good this year, will score around 20 goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Didn't you get the memo? Paul Scholes said he might be past his best in an article so that's what we're all going with ever since then.

Rooney is past his peak, Mata also. Smalling is useless, Jones is crap. It's so obvious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He will be 30 next year. He probably is past his peak. It's doesn't mean he is not still a great player. Do utd fans think he is as good now as he was the seasons after receiving Ronaldo left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

No i just cant see anyone breaking the record ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How close would fowler have got I wonder if things had worked out better.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He will be 30 next year. He probably is past his peak. It's doesn't mean he is not still a great player. Do utd fans think he is as good now as he was the seasons after receiving Ronaldo left.

He's a different player. The Rooney of 07/08 was more explosive but this Rooney fits into the team better. His goalscoring since Ronaldo left has also improved.

I'm not saying he's not past his peak, I just think it's ridiculous to say it for definite. But that's the internet for you: absolutes and defintives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He's a different player. The Rooney of 07/08 was more explosive but this Rooney fits into the team better. His goalscoring since Ronaldo left has also improved.

I'm not saying he's not past his peak, I just think it's ridiculous to say it for definite. But that's the internet for you: absolutes and defintives.

Also people forgot the barren period he had in 2007-08 and also in 2008-09 seasons. He used to score in a row then go part of season without scoring.

Tbf, that's not saying much. Utd have been quite average this year.

A few years ago he was right up there with the best in the league, now he's a level or two below. Plenty were calling for him to be dropped only a month or 2 ago.

Tbf, that's not saying much. Utd have been quite average this year.

A few years ago he was right up there with the best in the league, now he's a level or two below. Plenty were calling for him to be dropped only a month or 2 ago.

I disagree with almost all of this so we'll leave it there as I can't see us finding common ground.

I disagree with almost all of this so we'll leave it there as I can't see us finding common ground.

I'd say you only disagree with one part (his level one or two levels below) as the rest is true

ie

- Utd have been average this year.
    - Rooney was one of the best players in the league a few years ago.
    - Plenty were calling for him to be dropped only a month or 2 ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I voted no because I think he has lost a lot of pace and while he still has a lot going for him right now I just can't see him still playing, as a starter, at the top level in three years time. He has had a long senior career already and it looks like its already starting to take its toll. All you have to do is look at his injury record over the last 12 months or so. He missed 11 games last season and has already missed a couple this season. I think that is going to continue and get worse as time goes by.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I voted no because I think he has lost a lot of pace and while he still has a lot going for him right now I just can't see him still playing, as a starter, at the top level in three years time. He has had a long senior career already and it looks like its already starting to take its toll. All you have to do is look at his injury record over the last 12 months or so. He missed 11 games last season and has already missed a couple this season. I think that is going to continue and get worse as time goes by.

Injury prone is not something I'd label him with. Are you sure he missed that amount, I can't remember any injuries this season. I can only remember 1 spell out injured last season.

I'd say you only disagree with one part (his level one or two levels below) as the rest is true

ie

- Utd have been average this year.
    - Rooney was one of the best players in the league a few years ago.
    - Plenty were calling for him to be dropped only a month or 2 ago.

Nope. He is still in and around the best players in the league. I need to clarify that I mean season, not year. United have been pretty good this season. Playing some nice stuff despite injuries and are one of the form teams in the league.

United also have an abundance of talent up front, so dropping him every so often when another is in form is inevitable. It's not like City, Chelsea or Liverpool, where they have one nailed on starting striker and his support cast. United have far more options up front so if Rooney has a quiet game or two, some will call for Falcao or RVP or Mata or whoever.

This is why we won't agree. Your opinions masquerading as definitive "true" statements are worlds away from where I'm at. There is no real common ground.

Nope. He is still in and around the best players in the league. I need to clarify that I mean season, not year. United have been pretty good this season. Playing some nice stuff despite injuries and are one of the form teams in the league.

United also have an abundance of talent up front, so dropping him every so often when another is in form is inevitable. It's not like City, Chelsea or Liverpool, where they have one nailed on starting striker and his support cast. United have far more options up front so if Rooney has a quiet game or two, some will call for Falcao or RVP or Mata or whoever.

This is why we won't agree. Your opinions masquerading as definitive "true" statements are worlds away from where I'm at. There is no real common ground.

Utd are on a similar point total this season than under Moyes. Performances have improved in recent weeks for sure though.

He's not on a par with Costa or Aguero to name two, no shame in that though.

United fans were calling for him to be dropped, that's true anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Utd are on a similar point total this season than under Moyes. Performances have improved in recent weeks for sure though.

He's not on a par with Costa or Aguero to name two, no shame in that though.

United fans were calling for him to be dropped, that's true anyway.

I would put him up there with Costa if he is being played up front. I think Aguero is on another level to any other striker in the league.

Blue giant wrote: »
    I would put him up there with Costa if he is being played up front. I think Aguero is on another level to any other striker in the league.

If he's that good play him up front :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He won't break it but it's just as impressive considering he has played most of his career not as a striker

Because he scored 17 and assisted 10 in the league last season not playing up front :confused:

Because he is worth more to the team further back when you have the likes of RVP and Falcao to play up front anyway :confused:

If United hadn't got those options he would play up front and would likely match Costa and Aguero, that's what the other poster is saying but you're dipping into a lot of different arguments

Well so is RVP at his best and maybe Falcao (haven't seen enough of him since his Atletico days). There have been a lot of people calling for him to be played up front recently as well. Tbh I don't see the clamour surrounding Costa. He's a good player but not at the level of Aguero or Suarez last year.

Because he scored 17 and assisted 10 in the league last season not playing up front :confused:

Because he is worth more to the team further back when you have the likes of RVP and Falcao to play up front anyway :confused:

If United hadn't got those options he would play up front and would likely match Costa and Aguero, that's what the other poster is saying but you're dipping into a lot of different arguments

Unlikely.

Costa is a beast and Aguero is exceptional.

Unlikely.

Costa is a beast and Aguero is exceptional.

Likely.

Rooney is too.

• Advertisement

And yet Aguero has never outscored Rooney in a premier league season despite him playing up front and Rooney not

Anyone else struggling to find the logic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

And yet Aguero has never outscored Rooney in a premier league season despite him playing up front and Rooney not

Anyone else struggling to find the logic

I doubt it. Then again I'd say most people are smart enough to factor in appearances.

I doubt it. Then again I'd say most people are smart enough to factor in appearances.

Then I hope the people who are smart enough to factor in appearances actually look them up and aren't igornant to them, in the last 3 seasons Rooney still wins despite not playing up front

Aguero - 52 goals in 87 appearances

Rooney - 56 goals 90 appearances

Since Aguero arrived in England.

64 goals in 99 apps

Rooney 61 in 100 apps.

Nothing will convince me Rooney is near Ageuros current level though, even if he played up top.

He has peaked imo and Aguero is probably only coming into his.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

niallo27 wrote: »

I'd say he's a bit better now. Still not good enough to get that scoring record unless he's moved up front permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You'd nearly forget about Les Ferdinand's impact on the Premiere League. Beast of a player. Hasselbaink cant be far off that top ten?

As for Rooney, it's not impossible at all. Say, if he were to drop down a level from Man U in his autumn years and keep the wagon rolling along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Rooney will never be on Aguero's level, a great player but will never be in the same bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Then I hope the people who are smart enough to factor in appearances actually look them up and aren't igornant to them, in the last 3 seasons Rooney still wins despite not playing up front

Aguero - 52 goals in 87 appearances

Rooney - 56 goals 90 appearances

Why are you ignoring this season? :confused:

Because my original point was he never outscored him in a PL season, most people are smart enough to realise that 13 games isn't a season...

This season doesn't count as Aguero is on fire!

• Advertisement
Advertisement