Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Wayne Rooney Break The Premier League Goalscoring Record?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Because my original point was he never outscored him in a PL season, most people are smart enough to realise that 13 games isn't a season...

But 23 games is a season? Didn't your original point also say Rooney did it when not being a striker? You need to leave out Rooneys 11/12 season then.

Paully D wrote: »
    -- do you think he'll do it?

168aa66b628585843fe69f1c147cb50e.png

He needs 83 Premier League goals to break it-

77610f4491925c08bf1d105412b12e4e.png

No chance imo, he has scored 93 in the last 5 full seasons, I can't see him being in the starting 11 for Man Utd in 4 years time.

He won't break it but it's just as impressive considering he has played most of his career not as a striker

Lampard never played as a striker :)
    You must be unreal impressed with him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Augeo wrote: »
    Lampard never played as a striker :)
    You must be unreal impressed with him :D

Lampard is one of my favourite players from the PL era tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Rooneys form dips too often for him to break it I think. Should be closer only for his form in the past dipping too much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Shearer has over 280 goals I thought or have his goals pre premier league been disallowed??

Surely total goals is the real record?

It's ridiculous to differentiate between league goals scored in the top flight in England before/after the Premiership/Premier League brand came about. 283 league goals is Shearer's total, that's what Rooney has to beat to be top league goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Rooneys form dips too often for him to break it I think. Should be closer only for his form in the past dipping too much

Or he doesn't over achieve enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Another thing that stands out on that list is Henrys 175 league goals for one club.

What a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Some people seem to be struggling with the question posed in the thread title. It's fairly straightforward.

• Advertisement

Or it's just people having a debate. Not every topic has set in stone rules.

It's reasonable to bring up goals scored in the top flight when such a discussion arises. Anyone mid 30s and over can remember pretty well football pre Sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Paully D wrote: »

168aa66b628585843fe69f1c147cb50e.png

7wyn5i.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Doubt it considering he will more than likely play a deeper role later in his career.. and also he would need to avoid injuries really to keep up a rate of 17 goals per season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I hope he does. Purely because I hate Alan Shearer so much on Match of the DAy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's possible. I cant see him leaving United. Despite all the nonsense that's gone on in the last few years with him threatening to leave. That was just angling for a better deal. He'll see out his career at United.....which gives him a chance to break the record.

People are forgetting that RvP only has 1 or 2 seasons left in him a United. 3 at the most and that the Falcao deal isn't a sure thing. Rooney is going to play a lot of football over the next few seasons......most of it up front.

I do think he peaked earlier in his career. He's slower now than he was and he doesn't have as much energy and stamina as he used to. That doesn't mean he cant break the record though.

Regarding the Rooney v Aguero debate, the general consensus is that Aguero is the top dog. A few might disagree here and there, but I'd wager most that do are United fans. Aguero has that burst of speed that Rooney doesn't, and he's a more clinical finisher. The only question mark about Aguero is can he stay fit.

Kirby wrote: »
    Regarding the Rooney v Aguero debate, the general consensus is that Aguero is the top dog. A few might disagree here and there, but I'd wager most that do are United fans. Aguero has that burst of speed that Rooney doesn't, and he's a more clinical finisher. The only question mark about Aguero is can he stay fit.

There wasn't really a debate on who is better, someone said that Rooney would be notching up similar goalscoring stats to Agüero if he was played as the main striker, it doesn't necessarily mean they think he is a better player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And yet Aguero has never outscored Rooney in a premier league season despite him playing up front and Rooney not

Nothing will convince me Rooney is near Ageuros current level though, even if he played up top.

He has peaked imo and Aguero is probably only coming into his.
    Rooney will never be on Aguero's level, a great player but will never be in the same bracket.

I dunno Will. Seems like a debate on who is better to me.

I don't see some posts unless they're quoted...
    Either way, I think it was more of a debate on whether Rooney was capable of scoring the same kind of numbers as Agüero, not necessarily if he was better.
    I didn't see anybody say Rooney was the better player, it's only a debate when there is 2 sides.

14 goals for Aguero now in 14 games.

He's on Messi/Ronaldo type strike rate, genius.

Aguero can have his more clinical finishing and more pace but at the end of the day Rooney will likely put the ball in the net just as much if not more than him played as a striker so it doesn't count for much does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Aguero can have his more clinical finishing and more pace but at the end of the day Rooney will likely put the ball in the net just as much if not more than him played as a striker so it doesn't count for much does it?

Huh?

The slower, less clinical finisher will score more?

You are quite the little fanboy aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Unlikely.

Costa is a beast and Aguero is exceptional.

And Rooney has one of the most reliable goal scoring records in world football, over a prolonged period.I've long argued that its scandal he is played anywhere but up front. His ability and acceptance to play elsewhere has come to his own detrimant and that of the teams I believe.

He should have been first choice STRIKER, and any other names to be worked around him.

I remember in an interview Ibrahimovic was being asked about England, why he never went there, etc. and he got onto talking about great English players he admires. Rooney, Gerrard and Scholes he spoke about. And mentioned how there seems to be a lack of arrogance in English players, that stop them reaching the next level. Mentioned how he wouldnt be at a club long being asked to play out wide.

Always felt he had a really good point

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Huh?

Way to be simplistic...
    Berbatov finished top scorer one season. He certainly wasn't the quickest or most clinical striker in the league.

TheDoc wrote: »
    And Rooney has one of the most reliable goal scoring records in world football, over a prolonged period.I've long argued that its scandal he is played anywhere but up front. His ability and acceptance to play elsewhere has come to his own detrimant and that of the teams I believe.

He should have been first choice STRIKER, and any other names to be worked around him.

I remember in an interview Ibrahimovic was being asked about England, why he never went there, etc. and he got onto talking about great English players he admires. Rooney, Gerrard and Scholes he spoke about. And mentioned how there seems to be a lack of arrogance in English players, that stop them reaching the next level. Mentioned how he wouldnt be at a club long being asked to play out wide.

Always felt he had a really good point

Not as arrogant or not as dedicated?

Has Rooney really looked after his body the same as the guys at the very top? He looks in decent shape this season but some years he was definitely carrying more than he could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Not as arrogant or not as dedicated?

Has Rooney really looked after his body the same as the guys at the very top? He looks in decent shape this season but some years he was definitely carrying more than he could be.

On 40 benson would do that to you.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Huh?

Face palm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Face palm

Yeah for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Way to be simplistic...
    Berbatov finished top scorer one season. He certainly wasn't the quickest or most clinical striker in the league.
    Flair. Something Aguero has plenty of.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    On 40 benson would do that to you.
    How do you know this to be true? (Don't say 'newspapers'.)
    I don't see some posts unless they're quoted...
    Either way, I think it was more of a debate on whether Rooney was capable of scoring the same kind of numbers as Agüero, not necessarily if he was better.
    I didn't see anybody say Rooney was the better player, it's only a debate when there is 2 sides.
    Given there's only one side, it's a landslide then, Aguero is the better.

In response to the thread title, if circumstances work in his favour, (Van P going out the door, giving him the striker spot) I think he'll pull it off. As mentioned though, football existed pre-1992, so beating that record holds a similar weight to being the top goalscorer for the last 10, 13 or whatever random number of years you want to pick. Shearer's Division1 goals obviously count too meaning he'll never have really beaten the record.

Either way he'll go down as one of English league football's better strikers, and rightly so. The whole haggling for a better contract twice situation takes away from people's opinion of him i think, no need to go into that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's ridiculous to differentiate between league goals scored in the top flight in England before/after the Premiership/Premier League brand came about. 283 league goals is Shearer's total, that's what Rooney has to beat to be top league goalscorer.

Not sure what your argument is, on one hand you say it's ridiculous to differentiate between the old and new, and then say Rooney has Shearers target to beat (There are 4 players who have scored more than Shearer - Greaves has 357)

Old first division had 22 teams, so played 4 more games a season compared to PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Way to be simplistic...
    Berbatov was the fastest and most clinical finisher that played the most games that year.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Berbatov was the fastest and most clinical finisher that played the most games that year.

Super rush seemed to be confused as to how a slower, less clinical player could score more goals, totally disregarding the club played for, chances that came their way and games played.

You are oversimplifying it, for instance, there could be only 2 other forwards that played the amount of games Berbatov did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

He cools break the record if he is played as a striker but if he is being used as a link man or playmaker then it might not happen . It's 50/50 at this stage but he does have a good shot at making it happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think he will break the record he seems the type that loves playing football and I can see him push himself to play as long as possible. A move back to Everton in a few years time may be on the cards.

Advertisement