Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund currency

Options
  • 30-11-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

If I make a payment to a European company, they have a presence both in France and in USA. They accept payment either by USD or by EUR. I make the payment by USD.

They realise they over charge, and need to refund part of the payment. But they say the refund can only by bank transfer and in EUR. I don't have an EUR account, it is awkward for me to receive the payment (I don't even know how I can do it) and I will lose on the currency fluctuation (this is 3 months after payment).

Are they allowed to do this, or are they required to make the refund in the same currency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭johnmurph01

GabbyJay wrote: »
    If I make a payment to a European company, they have a presence both in France and in USA. They accept payment either by USD or by EUR. I make the payment by USD.

They realise they over charge, and need to refund part of the payment. But they say the refund can only by bank transfer and in EUR. I don't have an EUR account, it is awkward for me to receive the payment (I don't even know how I can do it) and I will lose on the currency fluctuation (this is 3 months after payment).

Are they allowed to do this, or are they required to make the refund in the same currency?

Different countries - hard to regulate. Depends as well on nature of company (financial services or std bricks/motar company selling widgets). You might find that a tough one. Could you use currencyfair here I wonder or ask them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

GabbyJay wrote: »

What was your method of payment.

If it was a Credit Card they can refund the card.
    If it was bank transfer they can refund via Bank.
    If it was paypal then they can put it on your USD Paypal account.

Basically whatever method you paid with, its usually possible to put it back on that way.

Advertisement