Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percentage of Catholic weddings in Ireland

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

pilly wrote: »
    Where have I said I didn't believe in God?

So you're happy for non-believers to get up in front of the altar (heresy?) and the priest and your god and lie (sin!) about how they intend to bring their child up because one of Christianity's most sacred rites, that of baptism into the church, "doesn't really matter"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

kylith wrote: »
    So you're happy for non-believers to get up in front of the altar (heresy?) and the priest and your god and lie (sin!) about how they intend to bring their child up because one of Christianity's most sacred rites, that of baptism into the church, "doesn't really matter"?

I couldn't give two figs. You're correct. Does no harm to me. Why would I care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

pilly wrote: »
    I get where people are coming from when they don't have their children baptised but I also see the other side. Are you not actually removing some choices from a child also? Like what school they can go to? Whether or not they can make their communion?

My brother-in-law is mid-30s and was brought up in an atheist family. As you can imagine, he was therefore surrounded by children receiving the sacraments growing up. I asked him if he felt left out not doing the communion preparation and not having a communion day. He said he didn't care at all and for the communion day itself, his parents planned a big fun day for him. As he said "I got to have the fun part of the day without having to go to Mass!". He just found the religious stuff weird and confusing anyway.

If he had decided when he was older than he wanted to be Catholic and have all the sacraments, well, the choice was there.

Advertisement