Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Clearance for Partner Visa

Options
  • 30-11-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

I need to get a police clearance for a 309 partner visa but I spent three years in the US illegally in 2003 - 2006. I obviously don't think I can get clearance from there and I don't think it would enhance my chances applying for this so I was thinking of omitting it and having the time included on my Irish police check

Has anyone come across this or do they look into this in much depth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

So you are planning on lying and providing false information on your application? Are you sure you want to take that chance?

It might be easier just to get the FBI check and tell the truth.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/document-fraud.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I appreciate the response but I'm well aware of the implications and what it would entail.

I also have to consider the fact that if I put down that I was in the US illegally then it might be an instant rejection, this is obviously something I need to find out before applying hence my question regarding this particular situation.

If that is going to happen then I may as well be economical with the truth and chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Ballsy move.

So you're basically going to lie on an application for permanent residency that could lead to citizenship of a country that's very twitchy about foreigners and removes passports from their own citizens to stop them travelling to known terrorist zones. Which also has very close ties to the US and has access to a shed load of information about people's international travel. And you're telling the Internet that you're about to do this?

What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I appreciate the response but I'm well aware of the implications and what it would entail.

I also have to consider the fact that if I put down that I was in the US illegally then it might be an instant rejection, this is obviously something I need to find out before applying hence my question regarding this particular situation.

If that is going to happen then I may as well be economical with the truth and chance it

It's unlikely that overstaying in US would affect your application, you have more chance of damaging your application by lying from the start.

Although it is unlikely that immigration have anyway of checking you overstayed in the US unless they run your name or DOB in sort of world wide search, that is if they would even be interested in doing do in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you get the police check. It could easily come back as all clear. On the basis that you've no record and it's an FBI check, and not a homeland security check.

Then you put down the dates that you were in the US for. As long as there is no question about visa status at the time (I don't believe there is), then you've not lied on your application, and its essentially all good.

However, messing around with 3 years of your dates is fairly hefty lie. There's a number of ways you could get caught out here.
    At the very least, I'd get the FBI check before rushing into anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Don't mention anything about living in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Galwaygirl1982

The list you are referring to is call MAL
    Movement Alert List

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Mellor wrote: »
    If you get the police check. It could easily come back as all clear. On the basis that you've no record and it's an FBI check, and not a homeland security check.

Then you put down the dates that you were in the US for. As long as there is no question about visa status at the time (I don't believe there is), then you've not lied on your application, and its essentially all good.

However, messing around with 3 years of your dates is fairly hefty lie. There's a number of ways you could get caught out here.
    At the very least, I'd get the FBI check before rushing into anything.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I was asking as I was not sure if it was even possible to get a record check having been there illegally, for the record I have no criminal record there or anywhere else.

I'll look into the FBI check so and do it the right way which is what I would prefer. I need to get the visa application submitted rapidly because of the 50% price increase on 1 Jan
    The list you are referring to is call MAL
    Movement Alert List

I have been to Australia this year and have received an ETA so nothing has been flagged on that

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

It's a difficult situation and I sympathize with you but don't lie on your application. It will come back to haunt you and could ruin a happy life down the line.

Advertisement