Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with oil after car has just been serviced - BMW 320i (2006)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

First of all, you are mad bringing an 8 year old car to a main dealer for servicing.

Secondly, the leak might be from anywhere and might only leak when running.

So, they replaced the rocker cover? Probably was the rocker cover gasket. I would take the top engine cover off and see if that gasket is leaking. The rocker cover is the top most bit of the engine that covers the valves/camshaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Rocker gasket was my first thought too, they're usually not severe though with small leaks. Not sure if the 4 pot E90 320's had that issue but if yours is an E46 it probably does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Is the car smoking more than usual? Let the car idle for a few minutes and then rev the engine in neutral, is there excess smoke coming from the exhaust? If not, it must be an actual leak, but would be odd to be loosing a litre of oil in a few days through a valve cover gasket, but its possible if it wasn't sealed properly.

The car would definitely be smoking heavily if you lost that much oil in just two days, if it was burning oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Dosent make sense.

If it was burning that much oil I dont see how it would pass the emissions test and if it was leaking it would be obvious.

How many miles did you cover in two days.

something dosent add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

We need to seperate two pieces of information here. Op did you check the oil level after the light came on? It could simply be a failed oil level indicator switch which was possibly displaced during the work. The garage might simply have reset the switch when you went back. This would explain the lack of burning oil and a visible leak. You'd know if you were burning/leaking that much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

mullingar wrote: »
    First of all, you are mad bringing an 8 year old car to a main dealer for servicing.

Have to laugh at this.....half this site complains about people not servicing their cars, then someone takes their car, (paying their own money), for a service at a main dealer and they get called "mad".

Yes, we all know you get cheaper at an indy, but its the owners choice to take it to a main dealer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

OP is there a dipstick and have you pulled it out to check the level? If the oil sender is faulty your dash readout will be wrong so you can't rely on it.

Smoke if it's being burnt or pools of oil under the car if it's a leak. If it's leaking that bad you'd most likely also get a bad oily smell into the cabin.

• Advertisement

I'd be pulling out the dipstick myself and checking. Also top up to the correct level with the correct grade of oil and go from there.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Smoke if it's being burnt or pools of oil under the car if it's a leak. If it's leaking that bad you'd most likely also get a bad oily smell into the cabin.

See above......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Sounds like oil level sensor is faulty, or maybe the wiring to it.
    Burning oil at that rate, you should be seeing excessive smoke from exhaust and emissions should also be wrong. On the other hand, if engine was leaking at that rate it would be making a fair mess on the underside of car.

No dipstick is a pain, it's the same on some Mercs. I'd personally take it to an indy this time. There isn't much else you can do.

From reading online however it seems to get an accurate oil level reading you have to drive the car until it is correctly warmed up.

The only other experience I can share with you is from a number of years back. I had a service done and the oil put in was the incorrect grade and it burned off at an alarming rate but it never smoked that I could see. Although I'd be gobsmacked if a main dealer did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just to give you an idea, the oil level reading on my E65 reads a good bit off. The level on the dipstick is on the half way mark and the level on the I Drive shows 90% full. That is to say, it's not accurate at all. I'd be getting the sensor checked by a second party.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I'd be livid if they used my car to go anywhere not related to servicing the car, let alone half a tank of juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

Any signs of oil in the coolant?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I think he wants to see if your Head gasket is cracked. You can check this by opening the oil tank and checking the lid, if it looks a bit like ammo and thick you could have a cracked/warped head. Unlikely though if it's maintaining full pressure. Did it ever overheat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Silly stupid question, but are they sure they filled it with the correct grade of oil? Some cars can be tempermental to the wrong grade of oil being used which can lead to excessive amounts of oil burning/leaking. You do say that they are a main dealer so I would say this is probably not the case, but there is always a chance of it happening.

[Edit - BaBrabus mentioned this already]

When you say there is no oil underneath, there is normally an under body tray that could stop the oil from appearing under the car, have you checked this to see if there is any oil deposited on the tray?

Advertisement