Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which SUV?

• 30-11-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi

Looking to buy a used SUV/4x4 for the height 2 kids car seats in the back.

Prefer diesel, no higher than 1.8 if possible, budget ideally €5k, but flexible.

Kia Sorrento keeps coming up as do Rav 4s and Freelanders... not sure about either of them, any other options or opinions on them?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Sportage or vitara. Think the sorrento is a 2.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

Sorento is a 2.5. 168bhp 2007 until 2011, AWD with low ration gearbox.

very big and safe, great in snow and ice, massive boot, good spec about 30mpg - main downside is TAX !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A Rav4 or a Honda Crv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

beefjerky wrote: »
    Hi

Prefer diesel, no higher than 1.8 if possible, budget ideally €5k, but flexible.

Kia Sorrento keeps coming up as do Rav 4s and Freelanders... not sure about either of them, any other options or opinions on them?

Cheers!

with that 1.8 requirement you won't find anything decent in budget.

I had a 2004 sorento back in 08 and I couldn't fault it, lovely machine and a fair few around with all the leather, electric etc.. bells and whistles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP the only thing you will find within that criteria is a Rav4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Thanks all

The Sportage is a good fit i'd say, will have a good look around for those.

Is there any thoughts on the Rav 4 also?

Smallest engine in the Sportage would be 2.0 litre.

Ah... well I will have to be flexible with more than just the budget then :)

2L probably gives more options as well right?

Yes it would. You can also consider the Honda CR-V and Nissan X-Trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

CRV in petrol only at that budget and under 5k.
    Suzuki vitara or honda hrv? 1.6 petrols, not big but they have the height (if it's back related). Wouldn't really be more eco than the crv 2.0 day to day. I'd pick the crv personally if 2.0 isn't an issue insurance wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much mileage are you actually doing?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much mileage are you actually doing?

Average about 16k km a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy a 1.8 2WD Rav4. They don't go wrong and are relatively (mid 30s mpg) good on juice.

A diesel rav is a ticking timebomb in comparison with little mpg benefit as its full time 4wd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

You could get a 2005/06 hyundai sante fe for under €5k. 2l engine in petrol or diesel, road tax is €750 and will do approx 30 mpg. Loads of boot space. I've had a couple of them since 2004 with no major problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

beefjerky wrote: »
    Hi

Cheers!

Freelanders are all 2.0 diesel (bmw engine WILL last IF you mind it)
    For the love of all that is good and holy stay away from the 1.8 petrols unless you can find one with the head gasket already done, and done properly.

I have one myself and think it's great, but be aware, the boot actually isn't that big.

If it's space and seating position you might consider MPV's? Likely to get better mileage as well.

Advertisement