Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best storage and backup solution for this setup?

Options
  • 30-11-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on how to best optimise my data storage and backup solution for my home setup.

I currently have a HTPC in the living room running Windows Pro 8.1 main use is MediaPortal with a 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD (recorded TV goes here), 3TB external HDD. I have an old server running Windows Home Server (first version, not 2011) with 4 HDDs: 1TB, 1.5TB, 500GB, 75GB, first 3 are for the server storage pool, small one for the OS. Main use of the server is to host some files and also to host Logitech Media Server software to stream music to my Squeezebox network music players.

Then I have a decent spec desktop, BEAST, with a 256GB SSD for the OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), 4TB HDD, and a 3TB external HDD.

I would like to retire the Windows Home Server machine as I'm not getting much value from it and it's at the end of its days and I have the BEAST machine on most of the time so don't also want to have the server on.

I have installed my music library on BEAST and plan to use it for the Logitech Music Server, and want to move all my storage to it so will move across some of the HDDs. I have heard about storage spaces with Windows 8 and sounds like they might give me the folder duplication I need. I'd appreciate advice on the best way to set things up.

I would also like to understand what's the best approach for managing backups - I currently have no backup system in place (WHS just didn't work out). Ideally, I would have regular backups of the image of the HTPC (given it took hours to configure, I'd love to be able to just reinstall from an image backup if possible). Not sure I need to backup all the media, e.g. recorded TV, so if I could configure it to backup some things and not others, that would be ideal.

I'll try figure out setting up going into sleep and waking from sleep on demand after I have all that setup, but as I'm a bit clueless on storage and backup solutions, I'm all ears for any pointers.

Advertisement