Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City runabout suggestions - No M5's please!

• 30-11-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace an 07' Megane Sport Tourer - all ideas welcome

Requirements:
    Want min 2 years manufacture warranty - don't have time to deal with running around fixing up problems with cars. If I have an issue I just want to drop it to main dealer and not worry about cost to repair. Don't want a mapfire or similar insurance policy either

Driving - all city driving, approx 10km p.a so I think diesel is out ideally

Space - needs to fit three children in back seat, one of which is in a car seat. I.e. Megane is wide enough but anything much narrower/ or with badly shaped back seat would be a problem

Other - ideally want something a bit of fun - i.e. doesn't have to have 200 bhp but should have a little bit of zip and tidy handling.

Budget - max 15k, and running costs need to be low too. So unfortunately no M3's, RS6's or XJR's!

Will consider buying in the UK if a solid saving exists

So far Im thinking about another Megane, but don't see any petrol secondhand, maybe a 1.0 Focus but v rare & v expensive used. Don't really know if the mini MPV's offer good space but something lie an ix20 might be an option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Veloce wrote: »

Thanks Veloce, not sure that meets any of my requirements - bar the fun to drive one, but it has made me think about Fiats - does anybody have an opinion on the 500L?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

fiats are pretty crap reliabilty

Veloce wrote: »

I think I might have almost bought that exact car four years ago, or one v similar to it. Great cars mind but I already have another Skoda for the long drives. Maybe a petrol Octavia might work but again not many around second-hand and a bit over budget buying a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I was in this position 2 weeks ago. I have a superb estate for long journeys. I wanted to replace a megane 3 door with a petrol hatchback for town driving .

Bought a 1.8 civic 5 door. Love it. It's well made , looks nice , plenty of power and surprisingly practical with the magic seats and deep boot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bigus wrote: »
    3 children in the back?

I was in this position 2 weeks ago. I have a superb estate for long journeys. I wanted to replace a megane 3 door with a petrol hatchback for town driving .

Bought a 1.8 civic 5 door. Love it. It's well made , looks nice , plenty of power and surprisingly practical with the magic seats and deep boot .

Thats funny, my other car is a Superb Estate too!. Will check out the Civic's - probably one car that I'd risk buying without warranty. Did you drive the 1.4 before going for the 1.8?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    3 children in the back?

I did a search and see they are only a 4 seater, but thats serious value - a year old car for under 7k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Casati wrote: »
    Thats funny, my other car is a Superb Estate too!. Will check out the Civic's - probably one car that I'd risk buying without warranty. Did you drive the 1.4 before going for the 1.8?

Didn't test drive 1.4. I bought a 06 one so 1.8 is usually cheaper than 1.4 to buy due to tax .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

braddun wrote: »
    fiats are pretty crap reliabilty

Much like your grammar!

OP, Fiats are coming with a 5year warranty now (actually the first to introduce a 4 yr warranty in 2006). While it wouldn't be my cup of tea, they're not bad, go have a look. You'll find it tough to find a non diesel I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MINI Countryman - You might have to go to the UK for a petrol one within budget though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bazz26 wrote: »
    MINI Countryman - You might have to go to the UK for a petrol one within budget though.
    Would they be in op's budget already? Are they two distinct seard in the back rather than a bench type? Or maybe it's the clubman that has those seats.

3 child seats is gonna be the issue here. Contradicts "city car" and "fun to drive" in most cases.

Would they be in op's budget already? Are they two distinct seard in the back rather than a bench type? Or maybe it's the clubman that has those seats.

3 child seats is gonna be the issue here. Contradicts "city car" and "fun to drive" in most cases.

Op said 3 children, one child seat. :)

Clubman is just an estate version of the hatchback, Countryman is more a crossover. Looking at the photos here it may accommodate a centre booster seat and allow kids to sit either side of it.

media?xwm=y&id=a0b6e61e-2fb8-4c7f-b5e6-ebe517aa583d&width=400&height=300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Out of budget with a 2year warranty regardless.
    Any Countryman I've seen had the (what I now presume is optional) centre rail thing with 2 kinda semi bucket rear seats.
    teaser_news_1.jpg

Although the smallie would have a ball if the child seat could be mounted on the rail like some amusement park ride. Wheee I'm in the back, wheee I'm in the front...

Countryman is a bit rich for the budget, and yeah I think the rear seat looks a bit tight - one of the children is in a full size seat, one (small) booster. If I only had the two of them a Clubman would be a good option & one I hadn't thought of

Any opinions on the Toledo? I see a few 141's for 13,000. Ive driven the 1.2 in 105 form and it feels a bit faster than the power fig, but haven't driven the 86 bhp so not sure if its dead?

Would it be worth bringing something like this in from the U.K. - Rapid 105bhp 2014 for £10k?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201405134159918/sort/ageasc/keywords/105/fuel-type/petrol/price-to/10000/usedcars/page/2/radius/1501/maximum-age/up_to_1_year_old/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/co2-emissions-cars/up_to_140/quantity-of-doors/5/postcode/n87ex?logcode=p

Toledo/Rapid is very narrow, its essentially an Ibiza saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

We had a Skoda Rapid TSI 105 as a rental and I was surprised by it overall, boot was massive and interior was fine space wise. Bit plasticky though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I would just buy a new 151 Mitisubishi Spacestar for 11,800e if you don't want any hassle and wants something reliable.

8 year warranty for under 12k.

mitsubishi-motors.ie/car/space-star/

Even the Lancer 1.6 120bhp for 18k is an unreal deal.

Don't buy unreliable crap from BMW/VW group whatever you do.

Hyundai, Kia, Honda etc is the way to go for small petrol's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs450h/7835238

2008 lexus GS450H auto

fit the budget nicely.
    340 horsepower
    0-60mph in 5.4
    road tax is 750. it's be a bit too much for a 3.5 :D
    acceptable city mpg for being a hybrid.

not sure about its reliability either.

main issue: not main dealer.

thierry14 wrote: »
    I would just buy a new 151 Mitisubishi Spacestar for 11,800e if you don't want any hassle and wants something reliable.

That spacestar is too small and though the Lancer is worth considering- probably a reliable option but they are seriously dated looking I think- I'll see if any secondhand exists though

fleex wrote: »
    cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs450h/7835238

2008 lexus GS450H auto

fit the budget nicely.
    340 horsepower
    0-60mph in 5.4
    road tax is 750. it's be a bit too much for a 3.5 :D
    acceptable city mpg for being a hybrid.

not sure about its reliability either.

main issue: not main dealer.

Nice car but I think its expensive for a 7 year old motor with no warranty- main issue is potential hassle factor plus cost to fix anything big going wrong

thierry14 wrote: »

The space star would have been outclassed 10 years ago. Its a step back from the Colt it replaced.

The Space Star was primarily designed for developing countries. It's built to a budget and feels it. The 8 year warranty would not even be a consideration for me as the thought of owning it for 8 years would depress me. There are better cars out there for €12k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Space Star was primarily designed for developing countries. It's built to a budget and feels it. The 8 year warranty would not even be a consideration for me as the thought of owning it for 8 years would depress me. There are better cars out there for €12k.

There are better.

Not with 8 year warranties.

All city car's like Fiesta's, Clio's, Fabia's in standard 1.0l/1.2l are depressing, I would rather pay 8k less with a much longer warranty.

If OP want's something fun and practical, he would have to look at ST, VRS, RS model's and your not going to get a decent warranty with them for 12k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The space star would have been outclassed 10 years ago. Its a step back from the Colt it replaced.

totally agree,

the colt was a fab little car surprisingly spacious inside with the added bonus of removable rear seats which makes it very practical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Op I walked passed Ken Lawford motors near Harold's cross in dublin yesterday and they had a 141 Nissan Note new model for 15k in the window. Looked good value to me. Can't post a link currently

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Op I walked passed Ken Lawford motors near Harold's cross in dublin yesterday and they had a 141 Nissan Note new model for 15k in the window. Looked good value to me. Can't post a link currently

I guess it was this one http://www.kenlawfordmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1146468&r=

Looks like an interesting option as its a nice spec and looks like a demo rather than an ex rental. I did a search and see Nissan are still offering a Twice is Nice deal - basically I pay full list now on a Note and get a 151 D in Jan and a 161 the following Jan, though it would be 17k+ They do an interesting supercharged version, but its 2k more expensive and only provides and extra 8 bhp so can't see that working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Casati wrote: »
    I guess it was this one http://www.kenlawfordmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1146468&r=

Looks like an interesting option as its a nice spec and looks like a demo rather than an ex rental. I did a search and see Nissan are still offering a Twice is Nice deal - basically I pay full list now on a Note and get a 151 D in Jan and a 161 the following Jan, though it would be 17k+ They do an interesting supercharged version, but its 2k more expensive and only provides and extra 8 bhp so can't see that working.
    It was a silver one but that black one looks great

Advertisement