Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New light fitting knocked out power

Options
  • 30-11-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi

Hoping someone can help!!

Replacing 2 old hall landing ceiling light fittings this afternoon and somehow I've managed to knock the power from the landing and the bathroom while the power works in the 4 bedrooms

First light fitting went in no problem and lights worked no problem- this issue only happened after the 2nd light fitting went it

Electrical shower also gone in the bathroom (separate fuse)

Is this a fuse problem? Why would the power go in 2 upstairs rooms and stay in the others?

Thanks

Kay

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

different fuses,you have a short in the ground and live,did you screw into the cable,also wires could have come loose in the box or you crossed them

there should be a whole house arc fault breaker that needs to be switched on

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kaykay27

Thanks for coming back :-) yes thank I screwed into the cable ...where do I find the whole house arc fault? Is this in the fuse box

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kaykay27 wrote: »
    Replacing 2 old hall landing ceiling light fittings this afternoon and somehow I've managed to knock the power from the landing and the bathroom while the power works in the 4 bedrooms

There are a number of possible causes, you may have shorted a live to neutral or a neutral to earth.

When doing this type of work it is important to be able to verify that a circuit is dead.
    First light fitting went in no problem and lights worked no problem- this issue only happened after the 2nd light fitting went it

Sounds like the second light was connected incorrectly.
    No offense intended but I think it is time for you to call an electrician before someone gets hurt.

Is this a fuse problem?

No, the fuse did its job.
    Why would the power go in 2 upstairs rooms and stay in the others?

Because they are on the same circuit and you have multiple circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Put up pics of lights and wiring if you can..all fuses look ok from first photo. Sounds like a break in the neutral

2011 wrote: »
    There are a number of possible causes, you may have shorted a live to neutral or a neutral to earth.

When doing this type of work it is important to be able to verify that a circuit is dead.

Sounds like the second light was connected incorrectly.
    No offense intended but I think it is time for you to call an electrician before someone gets hurt.

No, the fuse did its job.

Because they are on the same circuit and you have multiple circuits.

Your been a little harsh on the OP there 2011.

A short on the neutral to earth would not cause Op to 'Knock Power' regardless of distribution board being a neozed type or MCB type.

Also you are assuming that the OP worked on a live circuit (as opposed to dead) when theres no valid proof from OP that he/she actually did or did not.

Maybe helping the OP rather than jumping to conclusions would be advisable as is that not what the OP's post is about? looking for help and correct advice...im not been critical, hope you understand :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Par1 wrote: »

I don't agree. This is mains voltage and I am concerned for the OP.
    A short on the neutral to earth would not cause Op to 'Knock Power' regardless of distribution board being a neozed type or MCB type.

You are correct. I am on a iPhone, it is a simple typo. I meant live to neutral or live to earth.
    Also you are assuming that the OP worked on a live circuit (as opposed to dead) when theres no valid proof from OP that he/she actually did or did not.

Incorrect.
    Maybe helping the OP rather than jumping to conclusions would be advisable as is that not what the OP's post is about?

Maybe I was having dinner in a nice resteraunt with friends and that was the best reply I could give in the time available.

Hi both

Thank you for coming back to me -I'll post a photo of the wires tomorrow (2 dark up there now)

How would I know if I connected or crossed the wires?

I don't agree. This is mains voltage and I am concerned for the OP -

I agree its mains voltage and i would be concerned also.

You are correct. I am on a iPhone, it is a simple typo. I meant live to neutral or live to earth -

Agreed...phones and predictive text are a nuisance at the best of times :)

Incorrect -

Op did not say circuit was dead or live so i think you assumed the OP was not capable of verifing circuit was dead when referenced that so i assumed thats what you ment..lesson learned for both of us ( Dont assume :D )...we will agree to disagree on that.

Maybe I was having dinner in a nice resteraunt with friends and that was the best reply I could give in the time available -

Very nice....Not a bad complaint for a sunday evening..enjoy! :)

Hi both

Thank you for coming back to me -I'll post a photo of the wires tomorrow (2 dark up there now)

How would I know if I connected or crossed the wires?

Do you remember the colours of wires? and how many at each light?

Do you remember the colours of wires? and how many at each light?

Hi

The first light (which worked- after installing-fuse power was turned back on -this point and I had power in landing and bathroom ) had 4 wires: 2 live wires and 2 neutral
    The second fitting ( this is the one that knocked out everything) had 2 wires: 1
    Live and 1 neutral

The circuit was live when we put in fittings - had 2 light fittings in there working no problem

Kay

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

turn off the 2 lights you wired and flick on the breakers on and off a few times,you could also take down the two problem lights,one might have a short,the worse thing to do is starting to move wires,you would never get them back to correct place

braddun wrote: »
    turn off the 2 lights you wired and flick on the breakers on and off a few times,you could also take down the two problem lights,one might have a short,the worse thing to do is starting to move wires,you would never get them back to correct place

Already tried turning on an off breakers...no joy

Will try disconnecting the 2nd light and see if I can power back to the bathroom

I know this is the problem light just don't know how to fix it

Do you think the best bet is to call in an electrician tomorrow?

Do you think the best bet is to call in an electrician tomorrow?

Yes.

I am not trying to be unhelpful, but it is dark, you are working on a ladder, I really don't want you to get hurt, with all of the best intentions posters here can only do so much. An electrician should be able to fix this in a few minutes.

2011 wrote: »
    Yes.

I am not trying to be unhelpful, but it is dark, you are working on a ladder, I really don't want you to get hurt, with all of the best intentions posters here can only do so much. An electrician should be able to fix this in a few minutes.

Totally agreed.

Thank you both for taking the time to go through this...appreciate it :-)

No problem.
    Sorry we could not close this one out for you, but perhaps it is for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Maybe helping the OP rather than jumping to conclusions would be advisable as is that not what the OP's post is about? looking for help and correct advice...im not been critical, hope you understand :)
    Who knows what the op connected to what though. It might well be better to instill caution than confidence into people who are possibly in over their head.

A person doesn't need to work on live circuits to have done something a bit unsafe.

Hi kaykay27, just wondering how you got on?

Advertisement