Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog was choking

• 30-11-2014 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I gave my dog a bone from leg of lamb and she was loving it. However after about 20 minutes she starts running around the house and pulling at her mouth with her paws. Turns out she had big chunk lodged in roof of her mouth. Only for my hubbie was here to hold open her mouth so I could pull it out, it doesn't bear thinking about.. I got such a fright.

She is sulking now because I threw the remainder of the bone in the bin. I know chicken bones are a no no but I thought lamb bones were ok. She won't be getting another one that's for sure!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

hollytrees wrote: »
    I gave my dog a bone from leg of lamb and she was loving it. However after about 20 minutes she starts running around the house and pulling at her mouth with her paws. Turns out she had big chunk lodged in roof of her mouth. Only for my hubbie was here to hold open her mouth so I could pull it out, it doesn't bear thinking about.. I got such a fright.

She is sulking now because I threw the remainder of the bone in the bin. I know chicken bones are a no no but I thought lamb bones were ok. She won't be getting another one that's for sure!

Don't give your dog bones.

I think all cooked bones splinter to some degree.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's something that happens reasonably regularly, be it a chunk of bone or a stick.
    Lesson learned op, this is not the only reason why cooked bones, any cooked bones, are a no-no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

I feel really bad now, I honestly thought they were ok. Luckily everything turned out ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

u can give your dog bones, in fact they have a lot of benefits. BUT ONLY raw!!!! never cooked!

• Advertisement

celica00 wrote: »
    u can give your dog bones, in fact they have a lot of benefits. BUT ONLY raw!!!! never cooked!

Raw and size appropriate for the dog :)

I can understand why you feel bad about it op, I would too... But it's not as if you did it on purpose, lots of dogs get the bone off the roast on a Sunday and there's no harm done. But now you know that it's risky, and everything worked out ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah don't feel bad OP - the important thing is that she's ok. I had the same thing happen to Lucy when she was a baby with a stick...well really a twig because she was so small!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

I gave my jack russell bitch a shoe thing that she chews on i dont no what there call but its like a pugs ear but in the shape of a shoe. Anyways i think she swallowed a big chunk if it last night cause she started crying and limping around i paniced and rubbed her chested and she seem grand after that. This morning she didnt eat all her food and she seemed pretty down. I had 2 head 2 work so im hoping shes ok. Just wondering could it be stuck in her gut or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Id imagine its rawhide and because rawhide is very difficult for a dog to break down a large lump of it can cause a gut obstruction if it lodges. As shes a bit off her food and down, if it were my dog Id be worried and would consult a vet.

just editing to add - on re-reading is it a piece of something inedible she swallowed ? either way Id go to the vet.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Id imagine its rawhide and because rawhide is very difficult for a dog to break down a large lump of it can cause a gut obstruction if it lodges. As shes a bit off her food and down, if it were my dog Id be worried and would consult a vet.

just editing to add - on re-reading is it a piece of something inedible she swallowed ? either way Id go to the vet.

Yes ohbygod,
    I'd be concerned about her feeling down and not finsihing her food. I would be inclined to get her to the vet to make sure she's okay, particularly if she remains down in herself (this probably means she's not feeling well), if she vomits, or if she does not poop, or does poop but it's soft and loose.
    I *hate* rawhide chews and any of the hard, indigestible chew toys, particularly when they've been fashioned into silly, irregular shapes, like shoes and bones (knotted at both ends).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

I had someone call to the house to check on her they said she in great form. She does go off her food from time to time. Her poo was grand this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

never give dog cooked bones EVER

Advertisement