Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any freelance cad engineers out there ?

Options
  • 30-11-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Recently finished college and have decided I really want to go it alone and do freelance 3d modelling and drafting. Program id be using would be solidworks (im aware of licencing costs). Anyone out there with advice for a guy starting out ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you need contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Great advice. How did you secure your first freelance work ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you any industrial experience yet?

I'm not sure how happy Eng Managers would be to give a project to a recent grad with little or no experience, no matter how certified they are.

Yep spent 8 months doing fixture design, tooling assemblies, drawing validation and cnc machining with one of Irelands major medical companies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Peter T wrote: »
    Yep spent 8 months doing fixture design, tooling assemblies, drawing validation and cnc machining with one of Irelands major medical companies

Typically consulting engineers would have long and varied experience in many different companies. Employers are paying for this, and the CAD side is effectively free (or cheap). No disrespect, but 8 months hardly counts as a probation, let alone good experience.

If you want to go it alone, try to get a few small jobs that show you can work to spec, on time and on budget. Hopefully you can then use these for future reference and the work will snowball. Don't underestimate how difficult this will be though - most engineers are employees for a reason.

• Advertisement

Starting small is the plan. Part drawings and assemblies for someone who needs documentation or files for machining parts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did the company you worked for outsource their CAD work?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

I'd like to get contacts of some freelance CAD'ies. Work in construction, so nothing difficult, some drawings sometimes as well as 3D drawings for costumers, has to be quick reasonable fee, Your own CAD software. If anyone interested let me know.
    Try EMC in Cork they sometimes looking for self employed CAD techs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I'd like to get contacts of some freelance CAD'ies. Work in construction, so nothing difficult, some drawings sometimes as well as 3D drawings for costumers, has to be quick reasonable fee, Your own CAD software. If anyone interested let me know.
    Try EMC in Cork they sometimes looking for self employed CAD techs,

Sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Peter T wrote: »
    Starting small is the plan. Part drawings and assemblies for someone who needs documentation or files for machining parts.

This is an excellent way to start. You could look for traditional "engineering" companies (steelwork/fabrication shops). Some of them tend to manufacture agricultural or construction equipment.
    A lot of the time they don't have operator's manuals, parts manuals, and technical drawings. Which they'd need if they want to become compliant with the machinery directive.
    If they've already designed the product, you don't have to take responsibility of the designs, but you can learn from their work (DFMA, welding practices, etc).

If you're using solidworks, you could become a Certified Solidworks Professional (CSWP). It gives you some extra credentials to promote your modelling & drafting capability.

Perhaps, create an online portfolio of work with some good renderings and use it for promoting yourself.
    Advertise your portfolio and services on Adverts, Donedeal, buyandsell, agricultural sites etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

Hi OP just wondering did you ever follow through on this , also any one have any tips for someone who is looking to set up their own consultancy firm I have 3 years experience but want to spread my wings and go out on my own .

Im afraid I have not done anything really since due to other commitments.

Advertisement