Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aran islands & Christmas

Options
  • 30-11-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    heading to galway for christmas and was hoping to get out to the aran islands (and back again if the weather holds up!).
    while the ferries seem to run every day there doesn't seem to be any accomodation available - do the hostels/hotels shut down over christmas?

Thanks!
    RexM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which islands are you planning to visit, and what days?
    Pretty much everything in the country shuts down on Christmas Day but you can probably find a B&B or a hotel that may stay open the eve/day (or at least won't kick you out).
    I'd start with www.aranislandshotel.com on Inishmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

cheers Biko, had a look at a few places and there was nothing available on inishmor, so wasn't sure if it was booked out or just closed between christmas and new year. will still go for a day trip though, weather permitting

Rex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

From Christmas eve (earlyish) to 27th most things are closed. A friend said you can rent an apartment or two though. Pier House or Hostel apts might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A lot of the B&Bs, guesthouses and hostels close for the winter out there. I think a few probably do stay open but not very many. You can ring the tourist information office out there on 099-61263. They should have an idea who stays open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

pitch a tent next to the bar as that's where you will be all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Wherever you book, don't forget to enquire beforehand about heating. Aran Islands could be pretty cold in mid-winter, especially if you have to stay in a place that isn't usually open at Christmas,

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

thanks for the advice guys, never thought of posting in the Galway County thread for some reason! I'll try the tourist board and maybe see if i can get my hands on a tent if the others are desparate to make a night of it!

Rex

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

thanks for the advice guys, never thought of posting in the Galway County thread for some reason! I'll try the tourist board and maybe see if i can get my hands on a tent if the others are desparate to make a night of it!

Rex

You gotta be joking about a tent, in the middle of the Atlantic, when we've a snow storm coming?!
    Also check ferry crossings. I'm 99% sure there is only an afternoon sailing on Xmas evewith no sailing on Xmas day and st Stephens day

Advertisement