Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maternity leave dillema

Options
  • 30-11-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone. My current situation is I'm currently on special unpaid leave from my permanent job in the HSE to complete a post graduate diploma. (getting sponsored by the HSE to do this programme) Have just found out that I'm pregnant. I will be due to complete the course in mid June 2015. baby due early august. just wondering if anybody could offer any guidance on what the story will be with my maternity leave. In my contract it says that I will retain my permanent status whilst studying and will be offered an initial 2 year permanent post in return for the sponsorship, so basically for return for the sponsorship I am supposed to work 2 years in an area assigned by them. Will I still be entitled to maternity pay? I'm hoping so because I will still be a permanent employee??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

mrskay wrote: »
    Hi everyone. My current situation is I'm currently on special unpaid leave from my permanent job in the HSE to complete a post graduate diploma. (getting sponsored by the HSE to do this programme) Have just found out that I'm pregnant. I will be due to complete the course in mid June 2015. baby due early august. just wondering if anybody could offer any guidance on what the story will be with my maternity leave. In my contract it says that I will retain my permanent status whilst studying and will be offered an initial 2 year permanent post in return for the sponsorship, so basically for return for the sponsorship I am supposed to work 2 years in an area assigned by them. Will I still be entitled to maternity pay? I'm hoping so because I will still be a permanent employee??

Are you on a permanent contract at the moment?

By Asking are you entitled to maternity pay do you mean the hse topping up your maternity benefit (dept social protection) with your basic wage? is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I would presume you would be entitled to full pay because you'l be back to work prior to starting maternity leave (if only for a couple weeks), I dont know if your maternity leave would be counted as you paying back the time though, although your suppose to be treated as if you were working for that time and cant be treated unfavourably so maybe it would! best to check with hr anyway, at least you could plan then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrskay

thanks for replies. yeh that's what I mean (HSE topping up my wage.) On my contract it says that I will retain my permanent status whilst doing the course. Least I'll be finished the course mid June, would be expected to start work immediately after finishing the course to pay back the 2 years.

Advertisement