Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1320 for Xmas?

Options
  • 30-11-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to shortlist a few things for himself to get me for Christmas is the 1320 a good deal at around £187 on Amazon?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

only 3 left in stock

would be ok ,might be too big to fit into pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Theres a few sellers around the same price and the prices have been up and down. Just wondering if anyone on here has one and how they find it since the latest updates I havent had a WP since last september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The 1320 is 199 on O2 at the moment. I was hoping to go back to Android. But that looks a nice device.

Its a good price I'd prefer it unlocked though. I'd have to use that as a prepay phone and get through €150 credit to get it unlocked wouldnt I? I'm currently on O2 billpay and have already unlocked my contract phone since I got it earlier this year.

I dunno how strict they are. I got a code for my 520 and I wouldn't have spent that

• Advertisement

Twenty quid off now on o2 for cyber Monday. Glad I stayed up past midnight!

Can you use the Priority discount for upgrades as well?

Actually you can't. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No need to go through the telco to get an unlock code - there's several reputable sites that'll do it for a lot less - I've used this one several times now without any issues for example.

I had a 1320 for a good while, and now have a 930 and a Galaxy Note 4. It's a little too big in my opinion (as someone who has also had each of the Galaxy Notes, including the current Note 4 which is just about perfectly sized/weighted I think).

WP is WP.. and by that I mean it'll run just as well on a 520/530 as it will on a 1320 or 930, so no issues there. The real question is what does he use it for? If videos, email and web browsing then perfect and the bigger screen (and keyboard!) really make a difference. Similarly, if he just sticks to the major apps then no real issues there either. MS have pretty much closed the "app gap" now or there's decent 3rd party alternatives for some of them.

BUT... local apps (Hailo, some of the banking apps etc) are still thin on the ground. Also, some apps just don't work as well/easily as their Android counterparts (Lastpass, Viber) and if he likes to customise and tweak he'll be pretty much out of luck beyond the wallpaper and colour scheme. He also will be more or less stuck with Internet Explorer - yes there are a few others (no Chrome or Firefox though) but they can't be set as the default browser which is annoying. The rest of the Google services (bar the search) aren't available either.

On the plus side the 1320 is of decent enough spec that it will easily do another year or two (despite already being approx a year old). Like all WP8 Lumias it's going to get the new Windows 10 upgrade next year so it's future proof in that regard. Also as MS now own the Lumia brand/hardware it's really the only choice for frequent updates and fixes.

So, as I say, it's more about what he does with his phone and expects from it, and what ecosystem he's currently using (WP, Android/Google, or iPhone/IOS) and how willing he is to move or setup new accounts.

Anyone get this in the end. Curious how you got on with it.

beauf wrote: »
    Anyone get this in the end. Curious how you got on with it.

I did and I like it a lot! Great battery and love the big screen. Needs two hands to use but no bother with the swype typing.

• Advertisement

Did you get it unlocked? Do you bother with a case?

beauf wrote: »
    Did you get it unlocked? Do you bother with a case?

No but I don't need to unlock it yet. Got an ebay case grand job for grip

Advertisement