Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming world, yes or no?

• 30-11-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice here, I'm looking to join my local slimming world on Tuesday, but am worried as it seems a bit faddy to me.

I have tried using myfitnesspal and a few other diets and plain old cutting out the crap and they've worked for a while, but I've never managed to keep the weight off, and now I've gone heavier than ever and I'm getting married in six months. I feel I need to lose about 4 stone in total, a bit optimistic for six months I know, but any decent portion of that lost before the wedding and I'll be happy!

Anyone find slimming world works on the long term?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I don't think its faddy. You need to eat pretty healthily on the plan to stay within its limits. Its not like the old plans where you could eat anything so long as you stayed within your points. I know so many eople losing weight and doing so healthily on slimming world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think it's a fad and while I don't agree with all of the principles, it does help to get more focussed on healthy eating that is sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Toom3y7

i don't think any of these "fads" are that bad if you apply yourself. It is also a good way to get into a routine, but no matter how much you go, what you eat is about 70% of losing weight.
    I started with personal training, its a bit expensive, but really got me into a routine, got a diet plan made out, and just cut out sugary treats and ate clean, its a great way to start. Go for foods that increase your metabolism, and have water where ever you go. couple of litres a day and you will see improvements.

I think joining any sort of program is a good start, and should set you on your way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I'm interested in replies to this too. Had my second class tonight and hadn't stuck to the plan whatsoever (had mainly gone to keep a friend company but had tried to cut out junk during the week) and was dismayed to find I'd put on a pound and a half!

I'm quite skeptical of low-fat diets, which seems to be essentially what this is, but to be fair you can eat so much more for the same calories if you cut out fat. And how bad can it be to focus on lean meats, lots of vegetables, whole grains and fruits? And yet I really dislike the emphasis in the class on crap like funsize bars and raffling off rubbishy treats like Curly Wurlys and Flumps. I don't think this should be the emphasis- I'd like to get to a point where I don't need or want these things at all.

The idea of foods like butter and coconut milk being 'bad' is something I'm struggling with, but at the moment they are bumping up my daily intake massively. I don't wanna use Fry Lite :(

The motivation aspect is good though, think I will stick to it properly for at least 2 weeks and see how I get on, then re-assess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Shelga wrote: »
    And yet I really dislike the emphasis in the class on crap like funsize bars and raffling off rubbishy treats like Curly Wurlys and Flumps. I don't think this should be the emphasis- I'd like to get to a point where I don't need or want these things at all.
    The idea of foods like butter and coconut milk being 'bad' is something I'm struggling with, but at the moment they are bumping up my daily intake massively. I don't wanna use Fry Lite :(

Based on this information, Slimming World sounds terrible.

Give me a dessert spoon of butter/oil to fry things in than a Curly Wurly any day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm interested in replies to this too. Had my second class tonight and hadn't stuck to the plan whatsoever (had mainly gone to keep a friend company but had tried to cut out junk during the week) and was dismayed to find I'd put on a pound and a half!

I'm quite skeptical of low-fat diets, which seems to be essentially what this is, but to be fair you can eat so much more for the same calories if you cut out fat. And how bad can it be to focus on lean meats, lots of vegetables, whole grains and fruits? And yet I really dislike the emphasis in the class on crap like funsize bars and raffling off rubbishy treats like Curly Wurlys and Flumps. I don't think this should be the emphasis- I'd like to get to a point where I don't need or want these things at all.

The motivation aspect is good though, think I will stick to it properly for at least 2 weeks and see how I get on, then re-assess.

Sorry but I don't know know what class you are going to, but ive never seen that at any of my classes.
    Our leader raffles off healthy things and products to make healthy soups etc. Ive never seen her raffle off anything of the like that you mentioned.

It sounds like you haven't give it a proper chance and if you didn't follow the plan then how do you expect to lose weight?

The plan works if you stick to it and it changes your whole way of thinking and cooking of food. Im probably the healthiest ive been in years and im cooking dishes from scratch that I never did before.

You really need to give it a chance and stick with it before going to town on it and giving out.

Also Shelga, nothing is bad on SW plan. You can have what you like but either syn it or include it as your healthy extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hiya

I would be very like you. I refuse to use frylite as exactly what the hell is in it??

I follow unislim but it would be similar to slimming world. There are things about the plan I do not like, being able to eat low fat yogurts that are pumped with sugar etc...but at the end of the day, that's where you need to make your own decisions within the plan. There are some weeks where I need a treat daily, so a small purple snack is allowable...but then I might prefer to save those few treat points for some wine at the weekend. You can only build up a few...its not a free for all.

What I love is that is not restrictive in the way lo carb diets, high fat or protein diets etc works. You can eat a large variety of food, build up a recipe base and with patience you will lose the weight.

The old fashioned plans where anything could be eaten within your points were terrible plans.

As for the emphasis being on all those sweets, that's obviously your leaders job to curb people when they ask and not be talking about things like that too much as it does a disservice to all the good foods.

Oh and on unislim you can use the olive oil, one free serving a day and one that you must count. So in escesnce no need for frylite at all, ruins your plans anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

andreac wrote: »
    It sounds like you haven't give it a proper chance and if you didn't follow the plan then how do you expect to lose weight?

Also Shelga, nothing is bad on SW plan. You can have what you like but either syn it or include it as your healthy extra.

I agree, I didn't stick to it, have no doubt that if I stick to it I can lose weight. I am only basing my opinions on what I have seen in the 2 classes I have attended, and in my opinion Slimming World has pros and cons.

I live in England, maybe the classes here are different? But in the 2 I have been to, the leader spent 5/10 minutes at each one telling us the various 'treats' she has picked up in Tesco that week, and how many Syns they are. It is things like Milky Ways, Flumps and Freddos, and that's what she raffled off this week. Are the raffles not a regular thing? My friend won 3 cookbooks the other week, which is obviously a much better prize. On the other hand, she's a very nice girl and is supportive and encouraging in other ways.

If I didn't have to Syn olive oil, butter, coconut oil etc, I would say it is a pretty good plan. I will just avoid the sugary low fat yoghurt etc as I don't like these anyway.

I don't think I am allowed to include olive oil as my healthy extra but I could be wrong? Do I always have to syn oils and butter? I am fully open to trying it properly for a couple of weeks and am open minded about it, don't get me wrong. Once I get back into cooking and emphasing fresh whole foods, it'll be fairly simple. As you say, it's up to the individual to make healthy sensible choices.

Yes you always have to syn oils etc. Im nearly sure Olive Oil can be used as your healthy B, but that's all in your book.

Try to focus on the Super free and free foods, so many of them to choose from.

Syns are really only for treats, but not everyone uses their syns or they might use them for extra milk/cheese, or bread or alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Our leader raffles off healthy things and products to make healthy soups etc.

Like what? Veg? Stock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

If you aren't going to count calories or employ flexible dieting then slimming world is probably the (very distant) runner up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I lost weight on Slimming World (1.5 stone) going back about 4 years ago so here is my take on it.

Yes, it works, if you follow the plan. It is good as a kick off point if you have a lot to lose, or if you are someone who needs to stand on a scales every week with someone else watching you.

Would I do it again, no, because my attitude has changed towards food in general.

I agree with the Poster who said about treat size bars and the likes. I did SW in Dublin and that kind of mentality was bandied about in the class. It was always about bucking the system, which I hated. In our class there was an emphasis on processed foods. Crap like Pink N Whites, Mug Shots(when was that crap ever a food!!) , small bars, Muller Lites even the Slimming World Bars were promoted and food was labelled as good or bold and people too. I was good this week, or were you bold at the weekend? Agghhhhh!!!

I mean what kind of person calls exercise Body Magic???? People got their Body Magic Cert or whatever it is:mad: For some reason that term really peed me off.

I got fed up being permanently on a diet so I gave up and the weight came back on. Since then I got into healthy eating (no more processed foods) and proper exercise and I've lost 2.5 stone from my biggest and am at my fittest and healthiest. I lost 1.5 stone by healthy eating but it was the exercise that pushed me towards the last stone and changed my actual shape. I would label Slimming World as a skinny fat diet (if that makes sense to you) I no longer think about food all the time and if I want a burger or a glass of wine I have it, forget about it, what's seldom is wonderfull but in the main I eat quite healthy.

So, I am not knocking Slimming World overall,it definitely has it's place (a friend recently lost 4.5 stone on it!!!) but I think I've outgrown it. It is possible to eat fresh and healthy on it, if that's your mentality, and if it is you are in the frame of mind to lose weight anyway, but I think on those plans it is easier sometimes for people to try to buck the system. In fairness, SW is a business model, it works if you stick to it and appeals to the masses.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Like what? Veg? Stock?

Yes veg, what else do you make healthy soups with?

I have to say SW does not feel like a permanent diet to me. I have totally changed my eating habits for the better and cooking also.

Im eating so much more fruit and veg and cooking healthily too.

Im the healthiest and lightest in weight i have been in years and its thanks to SW. Even if i stopped going which i will once i get to target, i will still continue to follow the plan and eat what i am at the moment as i feel the better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yes veg, what else do you make healthy soups with?

To be fair "products to make healthy soups" doesn't make it sound like you're talking about veg.

To be fair "products to make healthy soups" doesn't make it sound like you're talking about veg.

Sorry, should have said food items ;)

Advertisement